Tra map suspended indefinitely

Guest AustralianTradeAssessment

Guest Andy Chapman

Maybe it would be a good idea to introduce Yourself first

so we know a little about who we're replying to.

Welcome to Poms In Oz A T A

Andy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello ATA

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

It is all very well for TRA to say they have suspended the new MAP scheme "indefinitely." Do you have any idea at all about what might happen next and when, please? Would they at least consider re-instating Pathway D temporarily until (if) they manage to devise a workable version of MAP, do you think?

Some of our members - and members of other forums - are losing the will to live because of the continuing uncertainty about MAP/Pathway D, which I am sure is your own experience as well.

Just any information would be welcome.

Many thanks

Gill

Hello ATA

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

It is all very well for TRA to say they have suspended the new MAP scheme "indefinitely." Do you have any idea at all about what might happen next and when, please? Would they at least consider re-instating Pathway D temporarily until (if) they manage to devise a workable version of MAP, do you think?

Some of our members - and members of other forums - are losing the will to live because of the continuing uncertainty about MAP/Pathway D, which I am sure is your own experience as well.

Just any information would be welcome.

Many thanks

Gill

Dear Gill,

I have spoken to various senior people within TRA regarding this issue, and I think it is unlikely that pathway D will be reinstated. It was suspended due to the number of fraudulent applications made under pathway D from various high risk countries. Pathway E seems to be the only alternative available to most migrants, however it is tricky to arrange to get RPL for an AQF level 3 for all SOL trades. As you are aware there are some Australian Registered Training Organisations in the UK providing privatised skill assessments. These are a good alternative, but they are very expensive, costing £3000 or more. When you add other agents fees, you end up paying £4500 - £7500 and this does not include the cost of the application itself.

Those of us within the industry find this very upsetting because just as the credit crunch bites, the average cost of an application has gone up a few thousand pounds.

I am arranging for RTO’s to do privatised skills assessments within the UK & Ireland for under £1500 beginning in January. However as this is still in the works, I do not want to leak any information on to the internet until the website is up and running, and the assessors are ready to go. I can confirm however that these RTO’s are 2 very reputable and large organisations that I have signed exclusive deals with. I am currently trialing the system with a number of occupations (including hairdressing and most building trades). I am also approaching all registered migration agents within the UK & Ireland to let them know of our services. I too am a registered migration agent, however until I have finished contacting all the agents within the UK, I do not wish to advertise my name.

The RPL process is very simple.

You must;

Produce similar documentation for pathway D (with only 4 years of work experience instead of 6) and evidence of a skill level transition.

+ A practical test conducted by an RTO here in the UK or Ireland

= TRA pathway E practical assessment.

Gill – Although this is not a reinstatement of pathway D, it is the closest thing to it and it will once again enable applicants to continue with their plans in emigrating to Australia (selected trades only unfortunately). I would like to speak to you personally over the phone about this, and hopefully shed some more light on the matter in the strictest of confidence. Would you be able to PM me your phone number?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello again ATA

Thank you for your response.

At least if the price of doing AQF III comes down to under £1,500 for, say, a Plasterer or a Hairdresser the whole thing will become much more affordable than at present and will enable more people to apply. That must be a step in the right direction for some people though, alas, not for all would-be trade skills applicants.

Hopefully, too, more RTOs will agree to do AQF III assessments for overseas applicants even if the candidate has to go to Oz. For example I gather that there is no formal qualification that a Locksmith in the UK can obtain locally. I am told that there is only one RTO in Oz that could assess them for the AQF III, which I think is a TAFE in Melbourne. At the moment they (the TAFE staff) are reluctant to get involved because of the set up costs for themselves. I do not know how many other countries have similar problems to those of the British locksmiths. The problem is surely not confined to the UK?

TRA could help by providing links on their own website to all the RTOs in Oz that are able to do these AQF III assessments.

I speak with feeling on this! I'm not a migration agent or an education provider. We have a member who is an Aircraft Mechanic. He has an American qualification. I think the issue is that Australia does not accept the American qualification even though CASA agree that it is a higher-level qualification than AQF III.

I have bashed my head to a pulp today trying to find someone who actually teaches the course for the AQF III in Aircraft Mechanics in Oz. As far as I can gather, Qantas seem to do it in-house via their apprenticeship program, Boeing might be the same and I have drawn a complete blank on all other fronts with it. I've had zero joy with the CRICOS website and it would be far easier if - somewhere - I could find a list of the wretched course codes.

Cheers

Gill

Hello again ATA

Thank you for your response.

At least if the price of doing AQF III comes down to under £1,500 for, say, a Plasterer or a Hairdresser the whole thing will become much more affordable than at present and will enable more people to apply. That must be a step in the right direction for some people though, alas, not for all would-be trade skills applicants.

Hopefully, too, more RTOs will agree to do AQF III assessments for overseas applicants even if the candidate has to go to Oz. For example I gather that there is no formal qualification that a Locksmith in the UK can obtain locally. I am told that there is only one RTO in Oz that could assess them for the AQF III, which I think is a TAFE in Melbourne. At the moment they (the TAFE staff) are reluctant to get involved because of the set up costs for themselves. I do not know how many other countries have similar problems to those of the British locksmiths. The problem is surely not confined to the UK?

TRA could help by providing links on their own website to all the RTOs in Oz that are able to do these AQF III assessments.

I speak with feeling on this! I'm not a migration agent or an education provider. We have a member who is an Aircraft Mechanic. He has an American qualification. I think the issue is that Australia does not accept the American qualification even though CASA agree that it is a high-level qualification than AQF III.

I have bashed my head to a pulp today trying to find someone who actually teaches the course for the AQF III in Aircraft Mechanics in Oz. As far as I can gather, Qantas seem to do it in-house via their apprenticeship program, Boeing might be the same and I have drawn a complete blank on all other fronts with it. I've had zero joy with the CRICOS website and it would be far easier if - somewhere - I could find a list of the wretched course codes.

Cheers

Gill

There are 2 CRICOS registered providers that I am aware of who MAY be able to help.

The Kangan Batman Institute of TAFE based in Victoria

Course Details

Kangan Batman TAFE

Interestingly they actually own their own boeing 737

Minister Allan launches AITC's Skilling for Aviation - Kangan Batman TAFE

and

Aviation Australia Pty Ltd based in Queensland

Course Details

Aviation Australia

The forum member would need to contact these organisations and see if they would be willing to do an RPL assessment. It is likely he would need to fly to Australia to do so.

Hope this helps. Will speak to you shortly.

Guest tomatohead

hi guys , this is a very exciting post although owing to former disapointments i will remain calm ha ha ha no it is a step in the right direction so long as you include fibrous plasterer in your assessments you have one customer here

can someone please tell me what is meant by skills transition

cheers tom

hi guys , this is a very exciting post although owing to former disapointments i will remain calm ha ha ha no it is a step in the right direction so long as you include fibrous plasterer in your assessments you have one customer here

can someone please tell me what is meant by skills transition

cheers tom

Hi Tomatohead.

I can confirm that fibrous plasterer is included on the list. I have spoken to Gill this evening and she will forward you my mobile number so we can talk about it directly.

Guest tomatohead

cool A T A , things are looking brighter at last ive had 12 months of well what can i say ****

cheers tom

07814632330 andrew

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi ATA

Thank you very much indeed for the details of the Aviation people. I will ask Bosmech (the Aircraft Mechanic) to take a look at this thread.

Many thanks

Gill

I would be interested in an RPL assessment for carpentry/joiner in Ireland!!!

Was considering going to Perth and doing it over there on a reckie, but if we can do it here for that price, I would be interested.

Im eager to get going, so please post details when you ready.

Kind Regards

Caz

On the TRA plans to introduce the MAP, the change just means that it won't be up by the end of the year, given that we were first told September and then the end of the calendar year, it makes sense for them to be honest about this for people who might otherwise have been holding their breath. Personally I don't see how the MAP can work unless TRA releases a directory of acceptable training in all relevant countries, eg the uncertainty about NVQ2 or NVQ3 training and the possibility of different standards in different occupations.

So hopefully they're developing materials to guide us all, bearing in mind that there are about 200 source countries in the world and so far they haven't been able to sort out the UK, it still might take some time...

But I think the sensible option for anyone who can move forward using a trade assessment is to do exactly that. If the MAP does have an implementation date you would assume they'd give reasonable notice.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest tomatohead

i think that we all can understand the reasons behind what they are trying to do it just seems that my granny could have done a better job of informing the public ha ha ha

Guest KathynBasil

Hi Everyone, can anyone tell me if panel beater or vehicle paint sprayer are on the list.??? We have been trying to get a visa for 18 months now and losing faith!:cutexmas:

Kathy and Barry

On the TRA plans to introduce the MAP, the change just means that it won't be up by the end of the year, given that we were first told September and then the end of the calendar year, it makes sense for them to be honest about this for people who might otherwise have been holding their breath. Personally I don't see how the MAP can work unless TRA releases a directory of acceptable training in all relevant countries, eg the uncertainty about NVQ2 or NVQ3 training and the possibility of different standards in different occupations.

So hopefully they're developing materials to guide us all, bearing in mind that there are about 200 source countries in the world and so far they haven't been able to sort out the UK, it still might take some time...

But I think the sensible option for anyone who can move forward using a trade assessment is to do exactly that. If the MAP does have an implementation date you would assume they'd give reasonable notice.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Everyone, can anyone tell me if panel beater or vehicle paint sprayer are on the list.??? We have been trying to get a visa for 18 months now and losing faith!:cutexmas:

Kathy and Barry

Hello Kathy & Barry

Panel Beater and Vehicle Painter are both on the MODL as well as the SOL:

Is your occupation in demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

However the skills assessment authority for both is TRA, meaning that the closure of Pathway D and the non-introduction of MAP might cause problems for you?

If it does cause problems, would it be possible to obtain some NVQ qualifications? Please see this article by Alan Collett of Go Matilda. Although the article is now over a year old it still represents the current legal position with regard to TRA options:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

If you decide to consider the possible course described by Alan in the above article, I would suggest that you get some advice from Go Matilda before doing so, though. I gather that TRA will accept NVQ2 for some occupations but insist on NVQ3 for others.

I gather, too, that some people have obtained NVQ2, which in their own case should be OK, only to be told by TRA that they won't accept it because the NVQ2 was not obtained within 2 years of the end of the informal traning period. I believe there is doubt about whether the Uniform Assessment Criteria can be construed in the way that TRA claim for it.

I don't know the details of either of the two scenarios described above. I know enough only to "flag them up" for you as things you should discuss with someone who understands the details of the UAC and how it all works in practice, preferably in the same lines of trade.

If Pathway B is also not a goer, thd only other thing I can suggest is a word with ETA:

ETA - UK Division | Frequently Asked Questions

Although neither of the occupations you mention is on ETA's own list, I have not come across anyone else I can suggest who might be able to advise you about which Registered Training Organisations in Oz might be able and willing to assess you for the AQF III in one or other of the occupations that you have mentioned. Trying to find the right RTOs seems to be like following a ball of string round a maze but people have succeeded in tracking them down and getting their AQF IIIs via a short visit to Oz.

Best wishes

Gill

Kathy and Barry

I know of a recruiter in Melbourne who is looking for people with these occupations.

You are welcome to send me a PM or email if you would like to explore this.

Best regards.

Guest bosmech

Thanks ATA and Gill, I had some initial contact with Aviation Australia. It looks promising, they do RPL but need to look further into it. TAFE does only Australian citizens. I'll let you know how things proceed from here! Regards Bosmech.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Bosmech

Thanks for this update. Fingers crossed that Aviation Australia will say they can help.

Just a note of caution, though. My reading of the Aviation Australia website suggests that they would assess you for the AQV IV Certificate. If this is what they say when you hear back from them, I would suggest that you ring Roger Laws in Canberra and ask whether he can foresee TRA causing any problems with that.

I've occasionally seen threads where someone has offered TRA a qualification which is higher than AQF III. Apparently TRA have then gone into a tailspin about whether the person really is a tradie or whether s/he is a professional of some sort. I think the [ropey] reasoning goes along the lines of, "Is an over-qualified mechanic actually not a mechanic but an under-qualified engineer?"

How on earth a bunch of Administrators are supposed to deduce that you know what you are doing with aircraft mechanisms is a mystery to me anyway. I am surprised that CASA are not the skills assessment authority in the same way that AMSA is the skills assessment authority for people in the maritime world.

Roger Laws used to be a very senior assessor with TRA, now in a new career as a private skills assessment consultant. He would be the person to ask about whether you would be likely to run into difficulties if you produce AQF IV. If there would be problems, would CASA be able to help you to handbag TRA?

Roger's phone number is +61-2-6293 1008. He does not have a website and told me that he does not want one. He's a heck of a nice guy and very clued up.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived