Melbourne V's Adelaide

Elliott-Family

Hi

We have always been wanting to move to Melbourne and have spent lots of time finding out info on diff areas and partially decided where we would like to move to depending on where OH can get a job (nurse)

BUT darling OH has now made the suggestion of Adelaide being a possibility. I just wondered for those of you who have been lucky enough to visit both which you would prefer?

I know its a biggy and its all dependant on taste etc but your opinion would really help us,

Many thanks

Claire x

Well, we're inbetween them. My friend who's travelled to many places over Oz has suggested Adelaide as it's beautiful and good for families (although she hasn't got kids! I should hope the person she was visiting has?). Hubby knows someone who's been to Melbourne who has suggested there as it has snowy mountains nearby we could take the kids too.

I'll be watching this thread to see which might be best!

being a Melbourne boy i'd say Melbourne

S.A is a great state (i think it's a little warmer) it's a nice enough place but is a slower pace of life. If youre into concerts etc alot of the larger bands/solo artists will miss it out.

I think Melbourne has alot more to offer as a state

KP nuts has just moved there (S.A) she maybe able to help you out, you will need to send her a PM as she is off line at the minute (so don't think she is ignoring you)

All the best

Geoffrey

Guest pontings gone!

Hi,

My favourite city in Aus is Melbourne.

I've lived in 4 Australian cities, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth and Sydney. Of course everything depends on your personal tastes. Being English and European I find Melbourne overall the nearest Australia has to the culture of Europe. There are lots and lots of things to do every weekend as you get the benefit of a big city which is also trying to prove a point to Sydney.

Melbourne used to be the most important city in Aus but Sydney has been percieved to have overtaken Melbourne quite some time ago. I disagree with that but it's hard to fight againt worldwide opinion!! However as stated Melbourne is always trying to prove a point. The people are much more cultured and friendly than Sydney. It is the event and sporting centre of Aus without any doubt. Is has, to me anyway, some very interesting surburbs areas which are influenced by different ethnic groups. I love it and enjoy the weekends. The downsides being the weather is mixed and because of the shear size of the place can take a long time when travelling to work. Alsosome surbubia areas can be 30 - 40K out of the CBD that are away from the generally excellent public transport link meaning you have to go everywhere by car. My advice if you choose Melbourne, live somewher near public transport links and you will get the appreciation of Melbourne. A saturday and Sunday pass to visit anywhere in Melbourne is $2.95. A bargain and great opportunity to explore rather than use a car.

Quite an essay. You may be able to tell what my advice will be.

I have visited Adelaide on 3 or 4 occasions and I genuinely really like the place. I definitely place it above Perth and Brisbane. It too has a sense of culture which overall for me is sadly lacking in Australia. You will never get the opportunities in Adelaide that Melbourne provides. It's smaller obviously but still a million plus population , remember in the UK only Birmingham, Glasgow have comparable populations in UK terms (obviosly London is bigger). Therefore Adelaide ts bigger than Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds etc, however it does not have anywhere near the buzz of those cities. A good place for families I would imagine and easy to get around. I have worked with a couple of brits who lived there who said being there permanently is boring. I've only visited it. I can imagine what they mean having lived in Canberra and Perth, you just run out of things to do.

If you really want to go to Aus, think about it and think again and again and again.It really is different to UK and has many hidden negatives!!

If you do still go , go to Melbourne but dont sell your house!

Guest itskaren
Melbourne does appear to offer everything we want as a family with a very sporty son, just cant wait to get out there and have a good look around

Claire

How old are your children Claire?

Karen:emoticon-signxmas:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stomky

Hi we're off to Adelaide to start with we've been for a coupla a weeks but thats only long enough to know we didn't hate it, haven't experiences melbourne but will definately be going to have a look, I'm 40 and hubby is 30 we don't have kids either and they do say Adelaide is good for families but hey ho! Theres also the worry about hubs getting a job(I'm already fixed up with a nursing job) but I can get a transfer to a different city if he struggles, I suppose it all comes down to personal choice in the end! All I can say was that Adelaide was lovely and there was nothing to really dislike!

Sarah and Matt

Archived