This afternoon storms

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

After waking last night to the sounds of storms ,this afternoon we had another one ,by 3pm it was like a winters day with dark skies ,and the lighting flashing all a round, only difference to the uk was that it was still very hot ,weather man says storms for qld for the next few days to follow.

eddie

Guest Guest9973
After waking last night to the sounds of storms ,this afternoon we had another one ,by 3pm it was like a winters day with dark skies ,and the lighting flashing all a round, only difference to the uk was that it was still very hot ,weather man says storms for qld for the next few days to follow.

eddie

It's crappy stuff here as well - hot northerly wind,grey skies and the odd shower.

Not boating weather:frownxmas::frownxmas:

Guest The Pom Queen

Well, its 28 degrees here (82.4f) and lovely blue skies, maybe you need to all pack up and move to Melbourne:tonguexmas:

i was driving a tractor at about 3pm yesterday with one of those slasher things on the back cutting the lawns at one of the farms when the storm rolled in, must admit i losted my bottle and parked the tractor up and went home!

It was a real cracker of a storm, had to pull over for alitttle while whilst driving home it was raining that hard!!

I love storms!!

Guest TheBrowningFamily

The storms are to remind you all of the british weather!! It rained constantly in Devon for almost 24 hours...was fantastic!! Hope your ok Eddie, I emailed Tina for you addy so I could send your christmas card the other day..send it on will ya?!

Guest Working to fish

Its saturday evening and yes storms again ,boy has it been hot today ,34 deg

hot,hot,hot,in Caloundra

hoping this storm clears the air ab it

eddie

Guest JoanneHattersley

LOL! Some of us have had to work today too!

Lightening just edging round the western suburbs now, thunder in the distance. Here we go again! LOL!

Mum and Dad are getting it in Buderim too!

Guest Working to fish
LOL! Some of us have had to work today too! Me to, poor old me was in work at 5 this morning.

Lightening just edging round the western suburbs now, thunder in the distance. Here we go again! LOL!

Mum and Dad are getting it in Buderim too!

just hoping it buggers off before morning lol

eddie

Its saturday evening and yes storms again ,boy has it been hot today ,34 deg

hot,hot,hot,in Caloundra

hoping this storm clears the air ab it

eddie

Its chucking it down here ,unfortunately its not cooled off tonight though !! such a tough life !! lol

Cal x

Guest Working to fish
Its chucking it down here ,unfortunately its not cooled off tonight though !! such a tough life !! lol

Cal x

I know cal ,and poor old Aldo sold me his heaters ,bet he,s cold back in the uk .:goofy:lol

Its still very hot here ,got to be one of the hottest so far:smile:

eddie

Guest Gollywobbler

Hmmmm. Does a car earth itself via the tyres if it gets struck by lightning? I don't know, hence my question.

Thanks

Gill

Guest Working to fish
Hmmmm. Does a car earth itself via the tyres if it gets struck by lightning? I don't know, hence my question.

Thanks

Gill

mm good question ,would love to know

eddie

Guest Working to fish

Thanks

Gill

• Pull safely to the shoulder and stop. Make sure you're away from trees or other tall objects that could fall on your vehicle. Stay in the car and turn on your emergency flashers; this will alert other drivers that you have stopped. Keep windows closed. Remember: Vehicles provide better protection from lightning than being out in the open.

• Avoid contact with metal or conducting surfaces outside or inside the vehicle. Lightning that strikes nearby can travel through wet ground to your car. Rubber tires provide no protection from lightning, so avoid contact with potential conductors to avoid being shocked.

• Avoid flooded roadways. Highway dips, bridges and low areas are likely places for flooding to occur. A large percentage of flood fatalities are caused by people attempting to drive through water. The depth of water is not always obvious. It's also possible that the roadbed under the water is washed out, causing you to be stranded or trapped. Rapidly rising water may stall an engine, increasing your chances of being swept away. (Just two feet of water will carry away most vehicles.)

The things one for gets he knows

eddie:winkxmas:

Guest Gollywobbler
Ah Gill this has got me thinking what about when in a boat ,are you safe :skepticalxmas:

eddie

Hi Eddie

Nope. I've heard of yachts in the UK being struck by lightning. Apparently it strikes the mast and can be relied on to blow a hole in the side of the boat. I think what happens is that the lightning comes down the mast and attacks the boat's wiring in some way.

I don't know whether there is anything one can do to earth the boat in some way. Tim would know about this.

I have lain awake on yachts, thinking nervously, "Ours isn't the one with the tallest mast..... " I've never actually seen it happen. I've seen pix of the after effects in the sailing mags. No doubt accompanied by a boring article about how to protect the boat from the risk but since I don't do 'technical' I don't read the boring rubbish about how to install a marine bog and so forth.

Tim will defo know what one is supposed to do to protect a boat, though.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Eddie

Come to think of it, I've heard of a theory about how to protect a boat. Apparently you get the anchor chain, wrap it round the foot of the aluminium or steel mast mast and then drape the chain over the side into the water.

I have no idea whether it works. I've never been on a boat where the skipper felt the idea was worth bothering with.

Cheers

Gill

Archived