The E111 form or travel insurance?

Guest maxytiff

Guest maxytiff

Hi all,

We are flying out to Oz in February but before we settle in Brisbane we are going to do a little bit of travelling from Perth-Adelaide-Darwin-Cairns-Brisbane. I've just googled the E111 form to see if there any other forms that give us free cover while were travelling but i'm confused now. Should we buy travel insurance for the 46 days that were travelling even though we are going to live in Oz? We live in Ireland and one of the banks here is offering travel insurance for backpackers for 46 days for about £80, should i just go ahead and buy this do you think?

Thanks for ur help.

xx

Hi all,

We are flying out to Oz in February but before we settle in Brisbane we are going to do a little bit of travelling from Perth-Adelaide-Darwin-Cairns-Brisbane. I've just googled the E111 form to see if there any other forms that give us free cover while were travelling but i'm confused now. Should we buy travel insurance for the 46 days that were travelling even though we are going to live in Oz? We live in Ireland and one of the banks here is offering travel insurance for backpackers for 46 days for about £80, should i just go ahead and buy this do you think?

Thanks for ur help.

xx

Use the e111( its just for europe), I would think you would need a home address in gb and claimig might be apain but thought you might get the cheaper option

To confirm, E111 is a reciprocal agreement for the EU only (allowing EU countries to bill the NHS for your care).

If you are on a substantive visa (Working Holiday or better) then you can get a medicare card on arrival in Australia - this is the same as an E111 and allows Australia's Medicare (NHS system) to bill your care to the NHS - be warned however, Medicare is NOT the NHS - it's 'subsidized' private care whereby you pay your bill, and then claim it back from the health service.

Best to get annual insurance, although remember that it'll likely only cover you for up to 3 months single trip... you can buy private medical insurance here in Oz, but it's expensive and won't cover you for many things until you have 12 months of custom.

Good luck, and enjoy Australia

Archived