Plumber license Queensland requirements

Guest Mike2oz

Guest Mike2oz

Does anyone know the requirements to obtain a provisional Queensland plumbers license? I have a NVQ2 level qualification and have been employed full time as a plumber for the last 13 months. Would my experience and qualification qualify me a for the provisional license? I want to be armed with this license when searching for a sponsor in Queensland. Your input will be appreciated. Cheers mike

Guest shaznsteve

hi mike,

not sure if the nvq really means a lot in oz they are more interested in experience and evidence of work experience is required,this is in my case anyway,i have had to provide them with at least 3 yrs evidence,then fill out a paper assessment,then attend a practical assessment in yorkshire to prove /show my knowledge in plumbing.this is for a permanent independent visa so it may not apply to you just depends on visa type i think.i will then have to undertake 6 months in oz on a provisional licence before i can work alone...sounds like a lot of hassle i know...hope this has helped but you may benefit more from contacting an agent for solid advice

steve,

Guest Mike2oz

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I’m planning on 457 sponsor visa. I don’t qualify for permanent independent visa due to my lack in "experience" so therefore cannot have my skill assessed. This is the line from Vetasses anyway. So plan B is to go out there and with a bit of luck find a company who would prepare to sponsor me on a 457 visa. It would help once I’m out there on a holiday visa to apply for a provisional plumbing license. This could help my case when looking for jobs. The problem is I don’t know what the requirements are for this provisional license. I can’t seem to find any plumbers on this site who has actually pulled it off what I’m planning to do. Most of my family live in Queensland and it would be great to join them.

Hi guys hope you dont mind me joining in this thread but its really confused me? mike is the reason your not getting your skills assessed due to not having 2 yrs exp? tho i thought that you MUST have your skills assessed irrelevant of what visa you go on? and even if you get a sponsor whilst on holiday you would still ahve to be assessed?? ive been informed by a migration agent my OH needs 2 yrs full time work exp b4 applying to vetassess to have his skills recognised? the bit im then confused about is DIAC. is it correct you need to have 3 out of the last 4yrs direct work exp?? if so that changes things doesnt it, or is that only for 175 skilled inde visa? does the 2 yrs satisfy if your going sponsored state or employer?? im getting too confused it would be great if someone could actually set me straight? i dont like to continue to bother the migration agent many thanks kelly

Guest Mike2oz

Hi Kelly,

Firstly I’m no immigration agent so consult an immigration agent or one of the moderators on this forum for any clarification. What I have picked up so far spending hours on the net including various expat forums regarding is the following. For any skilled visa route you would have to have your skills assessed. You would need a positive skills assessment before cont. with your visa application. As a plumber you will have to have your skills assessed by vetasses. For this you would need to proof of at least two years work experience(full time) there are however some visas that you could skip the assessment step. One is the temporary Business(long stay) standard business sponsorship(subclass 457) visa. This is the one I’m looking at. If you can find a company to sponsor you in on this visa you could get a temp visa for up to 4 years. Temporary visas can offer a pathway to a permanent visa. Once accepted and working in OZ you could study further at TAFE to gain your full plumbing license and qualifications. Plumbers are in demand in OZ. I’m hoping that a company will see my determination and drive and offer me an opportunity to proof myself. I’m also prepared to stick it out in rural OZ for a few years if I have to. I just hope my portfolio of my work over the last year will show the qualifty of work I can produce. Hope this helps.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Mike

Plumber - General 4431-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

You need to contact the QLD Plumbers & Drainers Board, I suspect:

Queensland

Licensing is compulsory.

Plumbers and Drainers Board

Level 18, Mineral House

41 George Street

Brisbane Qld 4000

Postal Address:

PO Box 27

Brisbane Albert Street Qld 4002

Telephone: 61 7 3235 4149

Email: plumbersboard@dlgp.qld.gov.au

They ought to be able to explain exactly what you should do, I would think?

Whereabouts in QLD do the other members of your family live? The Regional 457 visa might be the solution for you, followed by an RSMS visa later.

Best wishes

Gill

PS: Is there any possibility that you might be eligible for a Remaining Relative visa?

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/115/index.htm

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi guys hope you dont mind me joining in this thread but its really confused me? mike is the reason your not getting your skills assessed due to not having 2 yrs exp? tho i thought that you MUST have your skills assessed irrelevant of what visa you go on? and even if you get a sponsor whilst on holiday you would still ahve to be assessed?? ive been informed by a migration agent my OH needs 2 yrs full time work exp b4 applying to vetassess to have his skills recognised? the bit im then confused about is DIAC. is it correct you need to have 3 out of the last 4yrs direct work exp?? if so that changes things doesnt it, or is that only for 175 skilled inde visa? does the 2 yrs satisfy if your going sponsored state or employer?? im getting too confused it would be great if someone could actually set me straight? i dont like to continue to bother the migration agent many thanks kelly

Hi Kelly

There are two possibilities.

The first is to get the experience needed to enable Jamie to pass the Vetassess process plus obtain enough Points for a GSM 175, 176 or provisional 475 visa. This is the option your Agent has been describing to you.

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

The alternative is to find an employer-sponsor, by-pass the skills assessment process and go out to Oz on a temporary 457 visa. If Jamie acquires enough experience whilst on the 457, he might be able to sit for the Vetassess process out in Oz. If not, once he has spent not less than 2 years working in Oz on one or more 457 visas, a willing employer would be able to sponsor Jamie for Permanent Residency, either under the Employer Nomination Scheme or under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, depending on where the employer is based amongst other things:

Skilled Workers Permanent Visa Options- Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Employer Sponsored Migration Booklet - Australian Immigration

Don't get hung up on the fact that these are what are called "offshore visas." You can apply for them whilst you are in Oz on a 457 visa. You merely have to go offshore for a few days whilst the GSM visa is granted. The procedure is straightforward.

The 457 visa is not risk-free. If the 457 employer terminates the contract of employment, DIAC usually cancel the 457 visa. In that situation the person is required to leave Australia within 28 days unless a new employer sponsor has been found and the process of obtaining a brand new 457 visa has begun. The Minister for Immi has made it pretty clear to Aussie employers that if they decide they need to shed staff because of a downturn in trade then the migrant workers on 457 visas must be shed before any Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents are laid off.

However, if everything holds together and works in your favour, plenty of other people have migrated to Oz successfully using this route. Personally I wouldn't risk it but that is only my personal opinion which does not hold good, necessarily, for someone else.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived