Anything bad about Westpac bank

Guest BRISSYBOUND

Guest BRISSYBOUND

We've got to open an Aus bank account soon and we are thinking of using Westpac, generally people on PIA seem to think they are OK from what I've seen but has anyone had any problems with any banks ? Thanks Fred

Guest maxytiff

We have just opened our bank accounts with westpac this weekend, everything seems okay so far, no problems yet anyway. Will let you know if we come across any issues or anything.

Guest guest17301

We opened accounts with Westpac a few weeks ago, quick and easy so far. They sent documentation from an address in London so must have a UK office.

Guest The Pom Queen

Most of our clients are with Westpac and have no problems at all. One thing I will say is that if you do go ahead, please don't think you have to go in to the city branch to validate. A lot of our clients think they have to go in to Melbourne CBD but they can validate the account at any local branch with no problems at all.

Guest BRISSYBOUND

Thanks to everyone and like Tim said you can change when you get here, don't why I'm worrying really, I change banks here every couple of years here but it's always reassuring to hear from people on PIO. Thanks, Fred. By the way Tim I always thought you were the token Aussie, sorry mate. :wideeyed::embarrassed:

Guest spottymercedes

We had a few problems with westpac once we arrived, but I think it was a one off thing as most people only have good things to say about them. We were going to move to commomwealth, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Its definitely easy to open an account from the uk with them.

Guest Paul EDGE
We had a few problems with westpac once we arrived, but I think it was a one off thing as most people only have good things to say about them. We were going to move to commomwealth, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Its definitely easy to open an account from the uk with them.

Hi

Westpac now have a new account called Choice it works the same as your everyday acc' with debit card but if you pay in more than 2K per month theres no administration charges saves you $5 a month, not a lot but all helps, it's a case and half of coldies over the year and there not a bad bank either

Cheers Paul

Guest HappyBunny

It's my favourite spotty dog, how are you? You're not the only one whose had problems. We opened a Westpac account from the UK no probs. Got here and the staff were great and no complaints. Since then they have incorrectly applied fees and charges on several occasions to our account. I have just finished checking our statements and have written out a complaint letter to claim back a total of $40 that they owe us.

I have heard that this is fairly common place with a lot of banks over here and once you complain they readily refund the money, so don't let that put you off if you otherwise like the look of them. Like a few people have said, once you're here you can always change. x

Guest spottymercedes
It's my favourite spotty dog, how are you? You're not the only one whose had problems. We opened a Westpac account from the UK no probs. Got here and the staff were great and no complaints. Since then they have incorrectly applied fees and charges on several occasions to our account. I have just finished checking our statements and have written out a complaint letter to claim back a total of $40 that they owe us.

I have heard that this is fairly common place with a lot of banks over here and once you complain they readily refund the money, so don't let that put you off if you otherwise like the look of them. Like a few people have said, once you're here you can always change. x

Hi HappyBunny! We thought it was just us and it was a one off!!

Our problems came after they said yes we could have credit cards and the damn things never arrived. We had the runaround for quite some time, they were going to be delivered to the ferntree gully branch, we went there and were told that we had insufficient Id to collect them, passports alone do not have addresses on so not good enough. We asked if the cards could be redelivered to our local Pakenham branch to save travelling so far to get them. We then discovered that Pakenham just decided to stop opening on saturdays, so OH had to finish work early to call in (with correct Id), no cards there and they didn't know what we were talking about! After a few lengthy phone calls it turns out they have been returned to the main bank and would be re-issued. I called into Pakenham branch a few times over the next couple of weeks and the cards never arrived. It turns out they were posted (although they said they would not post them!) to the address we had initially given them in Geelong where our friends live. We returned these ones when we eventually got them from Geelong to the bank as the bank had registered them as missing. A few more days went by and a new set came to our current address, name spelt incorrectly, but OH decided to keep them anyway. We opened a paypal account for e-bay purposes and what happens, 'you have registered a card which has been reported stolen to your account' and to this day the paypal account is locked up and we can't use it. Just marvellous!!! Shortly after this we telephoned the original lady we had dealt with on the very first day we went into Melbourne CBD branch and she sorted it all out for us. The cards were delivered to Berwick branch who open on Saturdays and we collected them no probs. But funnily enough passports were fine as Id in this branch!!

When the credit card statement arrived the name was spelt incorrectly although the cards themselves are now ok, so I telephoned them to point out their mistake to be told that it isn't my account and I am not able to make changes to it so my OH would need to ring them. I said its not to make changes its because you have made a mistake which if you check our joint bank accounts you will see the name is misspelt, but didn't matter, he needs to call them.

It was all a bit of a balls up, but I had kind of forgotten about it until now as it was nearly 6 months ago, but seeing as I remembered I thought I would share it with you!!

The other service we've had from them hasn't been too bad really, but if we ever get around to it we are changing to commonwealth.

:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest Colette & Allibongo

we are waiting on our 175 visa to come through. in the meantime can we open an account before we get the visa?i would like to have an account and some money in it before we get there.:coolxmas:

Guest spottymercedes
we are waiting on our 175 visa to come through. in the meantime can we open an account before we get the visa?i would like to have an account and some money in it before we get there.:coolxmas:

I think the account had to be activated in person within so many days of it being opened or am I going completely mad here? Can't remember for sure, Maybe someone with a better memory should answer this!!

Guest HappyBunny
I think the account had to be activated in person within so many days of it being opened or am I going completely mad here? Can't remember for sure, Maybe someone with a better memory should answer this!!

Nope you are right. For Westpac you have to put money into your account within 30 days of opening and activate it in person within 90 days. Also, they ask for details of your visa so you might not be able to apply until your visa has been granted, but not sure on that point.

If you are specifically interested in Westpac, their migrant banking web page is Westpac Internet -Moving to Australia?

Archived