Dental hygienist

kellyjamie

Hi evreyone and anyone, i have just been offered a job as a dental nurse and the chance to train to level nvq3 as a registered dental nurse, i have looked at diac and its on the sol list as dental hygienist (tho only worth 40points)and after looking at the description im fairly sure its the same as dental nurse but can anyone assure me? also it says aqf diploma required would this be equivelent to nvq3?? if they are the same job the higherst qualification here is level 3?? it would be great if someone was able to put me right?

many thanks

kelly x

Hi evreyone and anyone, i have just been offered a job as a dental nurse and the chance to train to level nvq3 as a registered dental nurse, i have looked at diac and its on the sol list as dental hygienist (tho only worth 40points)and after looking at the description im fairly sure its the same as dental nurse but can anyone assure me? also it says aqf diploma required would this be equivelent to nvq3?? if they are the same job the higherst qualification here is level 3?? it would be great if someone was able to put me right?

many thanks

kelly x

#

Hi there

Dental Nurse & Dental Hygienist are two completely different roles. A Dental Hygienist cleans teeth, sometimes under local anaesthetic and also carries out preventative treatment such as fissure sealants. Dental Nurses can not do either of these things. They assist the dentist/therapist or hygienist whilst treating a patient. Dental Nurse or Assistant as they are known as in Australia is not on any "wanted" lists on DIAC. Currenty there is no way around entering Australia as the main applicant as a Dental Assistant. I know because I have been a Dental Nurse for 22 years and got the offer of an excellent job for NSW Health with sponsorship, only to find that there was no way around the visa system to let me in.

In England (not sure if it the same in Scotland) you can go straight to studying as a Dental Hygienist i.e. you don't have to qualify as a Dental Nurse first, it is a 3 year course. However, you have to have A Levels. If you have no A Levels then I think (but am not 100% certain) that then you do have to have Dental Nurse experience first. I can find out for certain if you would like me to as my friend is a tutor at Manchester Dental Hospital.

Hope this helps. If you need anymore help PM me or re-post.

Jo :wub:

Thankyou Jo thats really kind of you, thats a bit crap isnt it! you must of been gutted, i always think its a bit mad that we can secure a job and sponsorship from a willing oz employer but yet still cant go?? any info you could get would be fab i have recently completed a higher access to nursing so i do have highers or a levels but i cant afford to study full time im having to drop out of 3yr full time uni at the moment due to finance so i need to be working whilst studying,

Thanks again Jo its a great help x

Thankyou Jo thats really kind of you, thats a bit crap isnt it! you must of been gutted, i always think its a bit mad that we can secure a job and sponsorship from a willing oz employer but yet still cant go?? any info you could get would be fab i have recently completed a higher access to nursing so i do have highers or a levels but i cant afford to study full time im having to drop out of 3yr full time uni at the moment due to finance so i need to be working whilst studying,

Have they stopped the bursury for the diploma and you can work bank as well £700 + bqnk hours and kids we managed

mally

You are welcome. Yes it is crazy. I'll ask my friend for you. However, the hygienist course is a full time course. I know that on the course where you have Dental Nurse experience you get a small bursary but I don't think you do on the other one.

Jo x:wub:

i get a bursary but my daughter is in nursery part time and her fees are already £500 a month we get minimal tax credits and we dont qualify for help from the uni for extra funding when i go on placement nursery fees will have to be full time and go up to £730 per month, we dont have help for childcare any other way as my parents work. at present my husband is working 2 jobs one full time and both nites at the weekend so in short we cant manage, i am absoultuely gutted havin just spent a year at college gaining the relevant quals to get into uni, i have contacted everyone in a bid to get help but nowt, and im not willing to put my family through serious financial difficulties for 3 years, my husband will make himself ill before we apply for the visa

kelly

i get a bursary but my daughter is in nursery part time and her fees are already £500 a month we get minimal tax credits and we dont qualify for help from the uni for extra funding when i go on placement nursery fees will have to be full time and go up to £730 per month, we dont have help for childcare any other way as my parents work. at present my husband is working 2 jobs one full time and both nites at the weekend so in short we cant manage, i am absoultuely gutted havin just spent a year at college gaining the relevant quals to get into uni, i have contacted everyone in a bid to get help but nowt, and im not willing to put my family through serious financial difficulties for 3 years, my husband will make himself ill before we apply for the visa

kelly

It's biz isn't it. You try to make a better life for yourself and it just costs mega bucks. Yet some people do nothing constantly....and get paid for it. But don't start me on that one........:wacko:

kelly

I see you went on a rekky then if you struggling in the uk you will struggle over here job market is gettin tight only thing a sure bet is nursing and the reason the kids training have to pay their uni fees or get a loan and pay at the end of it . A grad workin wi my mrs told her 5 students packed in nursing to go engineering ( a no brainer inoz)

Mally

I think.....no I know that I would be barred from site and carted off by the PC Brigade, so best not. :no: :laugh:

Im a steel worker ex uk my mrs a nurse she qualified late lot late we had kids we agrred sh could do her training it was tough no hols tightened our belts I worked my bollocks off for us she worked bank shifts on top of uni and college .I`m 50 we have gone thro the mill and the sunshine a couple of times (steel strike miners strike in 80`s) come thro.OP bleatin can`t do trainin cant afford it been to gold coast , sunshine coast for a rekky, ?? priorities numero uno gettin there I think would be first

I know where you are comin from these with a couple of hundred gb to take biggest worry have they got a harvey nicks

We`re about to sign up for a house and land package at least you can put a picture up I will be 80 if we pay it off but whaT THE HELL

mALLY

i have never had any communication with yourself mally you know nothing about my situation and find your "bleatin" remark pretty off. we were given money by my husbands dying father to go on a reccie to ensure moving to oz was what we really wanted, he wanted us to make sure we were doing the right thing. good for you that you managed thru the hard times thats great and well done to your wife for qualifying but we are choosing not to, and im not asking you or anyone else for their opinion on that particular situation. jo kindly offered her advice about my OP and being a dental hygienist not about me being able to afford uni or not! i gave that info because you brung it up, as for your dedicated nurse remark remind me who are you again?? thought so, nobody relevant to me i come on this site for help and advice not to be judged by someone who knows nothing about me or my situation i dont understand why epole feel the need to be like that

i have never had any communication with yourself mally you know nothing about my situation and find your "bleatin" remark pretty off. we were given money by my husbands dying father to go on a reccie to ensure moving to oz was what we really wanted, he wanted us to make sure we were doing the right thing. good for you that you managed thru the hard times thats great and well done to your wife for qualifying but we are choosing not to, and im not asking you or anyone else for their opinion on that particular situation. jo kindly offered her advice about my OP and being a dental hygienist not about me being able to afford uni or not! i gave that info because you brung it up, as for your dedicated nurse remark remind me who are you again?? thought so, nobody relevant to me i come on this site for help and advice not to be judged by someone who knows nothing about me or my situation i dont understand why epole feel the need to be like that

No offense was meant havin read your earlier posts thought you`s were st for the big move like I said nursing is the more easiest way if i can call that , they are literally screamin for them, we had a struggle and its still not easy over here and if your situation is as bad as you say in the uk oz will be not much different we are different we have agrown up daughter who did not want to come we ahve not kids only 2 mouths and 2 showers a day. I really hope you can consider your nurse training as its a sure fire way in. Hope you come to the right decision no offense meant

Mally

apologies in that case mally sorry if i jumped down your throat, were just finding it really hard at the mo, we tried to find something that would suit to get us to oz and found nursing i spent a year at college struggling then into uni and the first month of my daughters nursery fees to be paid and me and the hubby were at each others throats worried sick about money so weve took the tough choice that we just cant emotionally or financially manage for 3 years, and 3 yrs seems so long, again apologies i probably jumped to quickly its just we havent come to this decision lightly and im gutted:wubclub:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Kelly

Jorose is right about the differences between a Dental Hygienist and a Dental Nurse/Assistant. The stuff is in the ASCO Code, which is here:

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf

The alphabetical index of occupations is at the back. After that, use the page numbering at the foot of each page of the Code itself. If you use Adobe Pages, be aware that Adobe will put you into the Code several pages earlier than the one that you need.

Dental Nurse/Assistant is a Group 6 occupation. You would not be able to consider a visa using this occupation except if you were to find a willing employer-sponsor, somewhere in Regional Australia. It really would be a case of ringing up the State Migration Centre in the Northern Territory to ask how they would react to an application for a Regional 457 visa and also doing the same with the North of WA and QLD respectively, I suspect. The Sunshine Coast is too densely populated for the idea to be a goer there, I suspect.

It is far more viable, if you can, to stick to training for one of the dentistry-related occupations on the SOL.

However Jamie is training to become a plumber isn't he? I know that you are worried about that because he would potentially be tackling Vetassess with minimal experience, but that does not by itself mean that he would fail, does it? The last I heard, you had had a meeting with a firm of Agents which had left you feeling very disheartened but then you had spoken with a second firm who were much more optimistic and encouraging about Jamie's chances?

Has all that changed in the last month or two?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill, how do you manage to know all this stuff? you can always answer peoples queries yuou give more info than most migration agents! yep we are still sticking with jamie and hes spoke with his training provider yesterday and knows exactly what he needs to qualify, someone on BE gave me info on the vetassess aswell so hes feeling more confident now. im just trying to find my place and find something to do, im not the kind of person that can just sit back and do nothing you know, and after my year at college after years of working i feel its been a real waste so im tryin to just find something to do with my life, im just being a typical female, totally over emotional and probably completely irrational!! thankgod for forums to sound off on! x

Archived