ielts test

Guest CARLJ13

Guest CARLJ13

Hello all.........

As part of my visa process i need to sit the ielts test..............

I was just wondering for those who have done it - is it difficult?

I believe i need to score 7 in each band.

Thanks

CARL

If you are a native English speaker then its a cakewalk.

The most arduous task is the essay writing, the one thats declared the most difficult is the reading.

The important thing to remember about the reading test is that just about none of it is ambiguous, and if you think something is subjective to opinion then you have missed something

Take yourself a 10 pack of sharpened pencils with rubbers on the end, this way you wont have to sharpen your pencils as you go, nor go diving under the desk when you drop one.

be aware that there are 2 tests, the Accademic and general training, its the general training test you need to do, which is the easy one, if you find yourself looking at on-line material and it looks horrifyingly difficult then you are probably looking at an Accademic sample.

Some suggest buying test materials, but frankly, other than getting an idea of the format I see no point.

BTW when answering be aware of spelling, this is not a spelling test, but an answer that's wrongly spelt is marked as wrong, and since you are effectively copying the word from the question material there is no excuse for getting it wrong.

Guest CARLJ13

Thanks....just a bit nervous as don't want this to be the reason i cant get the visa.

Yes i'm a native English speaker

So even if i've got to score 7 in each band it'll still be from the easier test?

Thanks....just a bit nervous as don't want this to be the reason i cant get the visa.

Yes i'm a native English speaker

So even if i've got to score 7 in each band it'll still be from the easier test?

Yes, you don't want the Academic test, make sure you sign up for the general training.

I believe the only significant difference is the written section, everyone does the same listening test.... good tip with the listening test is to remember that the questions are in the order the answers are given, so you only need read a couple of questions ahead, to a) find the answer and b) in case you miss the answer to the previous question.

Guest Adam & Lauren

Carl,

I have recently re-booked my ielts test. I got an average of 9.0 but got 6.5 in the reading. Which effectively means i failed.

Don't let people tell you its easy, tests are different for everyone... I've got a 2:1 degree but never been good under exam conditions. As long as you go into expecting it to be difficult then you'll be fine, go in thinking it'll be a walk n the park and you'll struggle.

As someone put on one of the replies, it is £100.00 and it is a full day, you have to be there at 9am and you can be there as late as 5.00pm waiting for your interview. So don't do what i did and think it'll be a doddle or that £ 100 will soon turn in to £ 200.

Any questions let me know!

Adam

Where you heading to by the way?

Best of luck.

Carl,

I have recently re-booked my ielts test. I got an average of 9.0 but got 6.5 in the reading. Which effectively means i failed.

Don't let people tell you its easy, tests are different for everyone... I've got a 2:1 degree but never been good under exam conditions. As long as you go into expecting it to be difficult then you'll be fine, go in thinking it'll be a walk n the park and you'll struggle.

As someone put on one of the replies, it is £100.00 and it is a full day, you have to be there at 9am and you can be there as late as 5.00pm waiting for your interview. So don't do what i did and think it'll be a doddle or that £ 100 will soon turn in to £ 200.

Any questions let me know!

Adam

Where you heading to by the way?

Best of luck.

Its impossible to get an average of 9 but a 6.5 in reading even if you got perfect scores in everything else your 6.5 in reading would bring your average down to 8 or 8.5.

Most people I've spoken to got the reading wrong because they thought the questions were open to opinion, this is deliberate the questions are open to opinion if you don't read properly, and a couple of questions will expect you to get a wrong answer if you don't read completely

Guest CARLJ13

cheers for advice.....

Perth i think......going in via 176 state sponsored visa...which i believe i have a moral obligation to then stay there for two years...

So hopefully we'll like it.

Early days yet..only just started process.

Where you heading?

Its impossible to get an average of 9 bit a 6.5 in reading even if you got perfect scores in everything else your 6.5 in reading would bring your average down to 8 or 8.5.

The result you need is at least a 7 in each section.

Therefore a 6.5 score in reading means the test needed to be re-taken.

Guest Adam & Lauren

Thanks for the Contradiction there Pheonix, i apologise for that, i've just checked my results and yes i got 8.0 average WELL DONE!!!!

Carl, not a problem about the advice. Hope it helps.

Perth Eh, supposed to fantastic over WA, only ever been to the East Coast and we fell in love wi Queensland. So we're hoping to make the move to a place called Caloundra next year Sept / Oct.

Until then, if you need to know anything i'll do my best to help.

Send us a PM if you ever stuck.

Cheers.

Adam

Guest CARLJ13

i think i've accepted your friendship request although still getting to grips with this.

yes i fancied queensland...but due to points etc - only few options left.

one being state sponsor - hence Perth.

But think after two yrs we can move on if we dont like. Although told its only a moral obligation.

Anyway long way off yet.

If i've not accepted freind request...sorry i'll try again

P.S. What's PM? (am i gona look stupid now)

Guest Letasha

Just wondering,,,,,,if you have to do this test is it the only the main visa applicant or all adults? I will be the the main applicant an o/h will hopefully be coming on the strength of my visa.

my mate did he's in september, he failed his even though he got a 9 in speaking,8 in writing but he only got a 5 reading and a 5.5 in listening.

so it isn't that easy after all, if you check it out the reading and listening are marked by a computer !!!!!!!!!( what i couldn't understand was if you can speak in english you can listen, if you can write you can read surely.

i don't know how old you are but you don't need to do it if you are under 40 !!!!!!

also what do you do for a job ?????????? my mate does never do any writing in his job.....

don't just think it'll be a breeze or it will be another £ 100 like you say

Hello all.........

As part of my visa process i need to sit the ielts test..............

I was just wondering for those who have done it - is it difficult?

I believe i need to score 7 in each band.

Thanks

CARL

I passed mine ok too, it is ok but a very long day as you have to hang around for speaking test. Examiners are very strict! All a bit scary. But if you are an english speaker and concentrate on the questions you will be fine. If you let your mind wander on the listening test for a second youve had it. Search google for test questions before hand so you know what to expect.

Guest Adam & Lauren

Hi there....

Its only the person who's applying for the skilled migration visa in their name. In my case it was me and my wife got to go shopping whilst i was in a room all day ha ha.

Adam

Guest CARLJ13
Just wondering,,,,,,if you have to do this test is it the only the main visa applicant or all adults? I will be the the main applicant an o/h will hopefully be coming on the strength of my visa.

HIYA...........as far as i know its just the main applicant. I've only got to do it because need the extra points.

Unless i can get my wifes education / job assessed as well at get extra points that way.

Generally..........are people using agents or submitting themselves?

I took mine last month & passed. It is a long day and you have to concentrate very hard during the listening test.

If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I'll send over some sample test papers that Clarinsred kindly sent me before my test.

They help you get used to the format of the test so at least you're not worrying too much about that

Archived