Various taxes - info needed please

Guest spock

I'm trying to work out the approx salary I need to get by in VIC.

As far as I can see there is income tax and medicare levy to the federal gov, a council tax equivalent (does this go to the municipality?), but is there also anything (an income based/flat rate) paid to the state as well (I know about stamp duty)?

According to Wikipedia, payroll tax is only paid by the employer, not the employee.

It's not easy getting hold of info. I followed links to the Aussie tax office, but (as usual with tax offices) that didn't seem to help much.

Thanks,

Spock.

Guest jonseywife

Hi Spock...

Have you tried this below link for general tax rates...... It varies if you perminent resident or not.!!!

Also, as for municipality stuff, we found that out by entering the suburb we want to settle in on Wikipedia, it then will show you what council it comes under - then go to the council website, search for "rates" then it normally tells you how much and how they work it out and when payment is due! (Well it did on Frankston City Council anyway...!) Hope this helps!!!!!

As for anything else, I hav'nt got a clue........ :? :lol:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/12333.htm&mnu=5053&mfp=001

Guest BullCreek_Bob

I'm trying to work out the approx salary I need to get by in VIC.

G'day

Tell us more about yourself and how and where you want to live. Then we can give an idea as to costs.

Do have spouse(s), child(ren), do you want to buy an inner city penthouse or rent in the outer suburbs, do you expect to have holidays each year in Vanuatu and another at Port Douglas? or will an annual camping holiday be great? Do you normally eat out once a month or 4 times a week? Will you drive a new BMW 4*4 or a 10 year old Ford Fiesta? We can only give advice on what it costs to "get by" when we know what you mean by "getting by".

I have a sister living in Melbourne who "get's by" on about $25K per year and another friend who "get's by" on about $200K which doesn't count his wife's income of $90K.

Thanks both for your help.

We are thinking seriously about living in Point Cook Melbourne, driving a $15k Zafira, buying a house approx $300k - $350k. At the moment we don't eat out, but might start when we move - hopefully about the end of the year.

Cheers,

Spock.

Guest BullCreek_Bob
Thanks both for your help.

We are thinking seriously about living in Point Cook Melbourne, driving a $15k Zafira, buying a house approx $300k - $350k. At the moment we don't eat out, but might start when we move - hopefully about the end of the year.

Cheers,

Spock.

G'day

Working backwards, mortgage payments of $2,450/month, typical costs to run a "typical" house for a family of four are about $1,750/month; a bit of money for extras $500/month so that comes to an after tax income of $4,700/month.

I think a gross income of $65K for one person supplemented with Family Tax Benefit or a second part time job would go close.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as I can see there is income tax and medicare levy to the federal gov, a council tax equivalent (does this go to the municipality?), but is there also anything (an income based/flat rate) paid to the state as well (I know about stamp duty)?

Australian states ceded the power to levy income taxes to the Commonwealth (federal) government sometime during WWII. It's been that way ever since.

GST and Income tax are federal matters r in Australia, unlike in Canada or the US.

Property related duties/taxes are state/territory based, but don't affect people who don't own any properties obviously.

Peter

Archived