Computing skills assessment with the ACS

Guest choobs

Woohoo! I don't have a degree, so have had to go down the "Recognition of Prior Learning" route with the ACS - and I've just had a letter saying that I've been assessed as suitable for migration! Which obviously means I can now submit the main application :)

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about skills assessment with the ACS, or with the RPL process, feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers

Choobs

Hi,

I am just about to submit my RPL, however, one of my references is from an company which not longer exists. Thankfully, a Director of the company has agreed to write a reference but cannot do it on headed paper. Do you think this will cause a problem (I can include an old payslip as proof of employment though)?

Regards

Woohoo! I don't have a degree, so have had to go down the "Recognition of Prior Learning" route with the ACS - and I've just had a letter saying that I've been assessed as suitable for migration! Which obviously means I can now submit the main application :)

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about skills assessment with the ACS, or with the RPL process, feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers

Choobs

• 1 month later...

Yes - I have lots of tips :) It's a terrifying and daunting experience, but once you actually get started, it's very straightforward but a *lot* of writing is required.

Basically, you have to take the 'Core Body of Knowledge' and go through it systematically, showing how you've used that knowledge in work experience. This involves mentioning where you learned it (i.e. from a colleague, by reading book X, by studying website Y), what you found most helpful, etc etc.

You also need to produce project reports, detailing your role in the project, what areas of the CBOK you used, what the outcomes are.

The main thing is this all has to be PROVEABLE - for example, if you say you did an internal training course on Oracle, that training course must be mentioned in your employer's reference.

If it's helpful to anyone, I'd be delighted to give you a copy of my application (which was successful) to have a look at. Please, though, no plagiarism as you (and I) could end up in jail ;-)

I can be emailed on jmd at nelefa dot org.

Cheers

Choobs

Hi,

I am just about to submit my RPL, however, one of my references is from an company which not longer exists. Thankfully, a Director of the company has agreed to write a reference but cannot do it on headed paper. Do you think this will cause a problem (I can include an old payslip as proof of employment though)?

Regards

Sorry about the long delay in the reply! The reference is fine, but you should get him to state in the reference the reasons why it's not on headed paper. I was in the same position :)

Cheers

Choobs

Hi Choobs,

Congrats on your positive response.

I have been doing a lot of research on the ACS assessment recently to try to work out where I stand. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated as everyone seems so reluctant to give it.

Experience:

I have 5 1/2 years in IT (6 in may 2006)

Quals:

BCS Professional Examinations Certificate

ISEB Project Management in IS certificate

City & Guilds Level 3 C & C++ programming

I have been looking at going for group B next May. But to do so it appears that my BCS qual needs to be equivalent to an AQF diploma.

It was a 3 module course, at 140 hours per module. I have been trying to work out if the ACS would regard it as equivalent, but I cannot find the answer anywhere.

I derived the following:

ACS regard their Professional IT exams as = AQF diploma. And the BCS allow people who have all 8 modules of ACS Professional IT exams exemption from their Certificate. So logically the AQF diploma = BCS certificate.

However it appears that the AQF diploma is supposed to be 1 year full-time, but the BCS course is 420 hours. Confused, I am!

Also, can you tell me, for group b would they only consider substantive courses (min 1 year), for instance would the 140 hour project management course be assessed?

Put another way, could I apply the RPL route after 6 years, under which all my quals may be considered.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards

Chris

• 5 months later...
Guest choobs
Hi all,

I have received a positive result from my ACS RPL! Yay!!!!! ;)

Thanks for your help choobs, and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting/working.

Take care,

Dazz

Outstanding! Well done that man :)

Cheers

Choobs

Guest choobs
Thanks choobs!

I appreciate your help more, as you were the only one prepared to respond to me and with no questions asked. You deserve your visa to come though tomorrow!

Take care,

Dazz

It'll take a while :) Thanks for the email, by the way - I picked it up at the weekend while staying in a gawdawful holiday inn. The good news, though, is that we were down south visiting our sponsors who have come over for a wedding, so that's given us a little boost - not feeling so negative now.

Also, according the autoresponder, non-priority applications between 17-21 October are now being processed, so they'll hopefully be getting round to us sometime soon!

Cheers

Choobs

Archived