Any comments on Taylors Hill and Keylor Downs in northwest Melbourne

Guest DRAGUT

After a round of exhausting house hunting I have finally made out the highest value/price ratio suburbs in Melbourne, not Hoppers Crossing or Point Cook, but Taylors Hills-Keilor Downs. It only takes 30 minutes train to Southern Cross and the houses are real beauties. Just the neighbouring suburbs are not so good--St. Albans, Sydenham. What are you comments on this area?

Guest 2kidsonecat
After a round of exhausting house hunting I have finally made out the highest value/price ratio suburbs in Melbourne, not Hoppers Crossing or Point Cook, but Taylors Hills-Keilor Downs. It only takes 30 minutes train to Southern Cross and the houses are real beauties. Just the neighbouring suburbs are not so good--St. Albans, Sydenham. What are you comments on this area?

Hi there, I live in Hillside which is the bordering suburb from Taylors Hill. Taylors Hill and Keilor Downs are poles apart in my opinion, Taylors Hill is spanking brand new and some parts of Keilor/Keilor Downs are very much older and established.

You are correct in finding St Albans a bit 'crappy' but whats wrong with Sydenham? Ive been here for nearly 3 years and always considered it a more than liveable area, it has streets with units etc and streets with big blocks like every other suburb, where have you looked there to consider it 'not so good', maybe I've missed something!!

All the best

Some pilots of Qantas told me there is drugs dealing around Sydenham station nowadays and sobatage on houses along the Hume Drive so they moved to southwest Taylors Hill.

Guest 2kidsonecat

Hi There, I'm not suprised about the train station, a woman was stabbed there a few months ago by her husband, she lived but her husband also stabbed himself and died, some kind of domestic.

There was a front page article on the Melton Leader about a Court in Taylors Hill that backed onto Hume Drive that had problems with houses being raided, vandalism etc. It had a cut through at the end of the Court and vandals were making their getaway through it.

Generally, Sydenham is not considered to be a bad area, maybe try what I do and google the street name of a house you like and see if anything bad comes up such as newspaper articles and the like.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2kidsonecat

Hi There, My youngest goes to Sydenham Hillside Primary School (which has 2 campuses, one in Sydenham, one in Hillside) I have heard very good things about Parkwood Green Primary School which is a stones throw from me but my daughter didn't want to move schools again when we moved house.

All the best

Guest downunder.welcome.melb

Hi Dragut,

I'm Amanda from Downunder Welcome - a personal relocation consultancy. Prior to launching my business, I was a senior property manager of one of the main (and of course the best!) real estate agency in Taylors Lakes. I managed rental properties in the areas from Keilor across to Caroline Springs - including Keilor Downs, Sydenham and Taylors Hill. I also built a house in Hillside (gorgeous!). There are some lovely streets in Keilor Downs even though it's older - you just really need to pick your location. Taylors Hill is brand new. I still live in the West and think it generally gets a bad rap. It's a lot cheaper than the south-east, there's a great multicultural mix and you're generally only 30 mins or so away from the City! What more could you want!

Please feel free to email me for any further information about the area... or anything else for that matter!

Archived