Are UK child seats legal in Aus?

Guest redtop

can anyone advise on current regulations regarding child car seats? Are UK seats legal in Aus? Do we take our UK one or flog it and buy new in Aus?

Getting conflicting advice.

Thanks

Nope, not legal unless they have the Australian safety stamp of approval and apparently UK ones dont. So you wouldnt be able to sell it here either. Just to be sure, you could sell it before you leave and buy another when you get here.

BTW, just as an aside which never ceases to amuse me - in Aus, flog = steal. However, I still use it to = sell!

Nope, not legal unless they have the Australian safety stamp of approval and apparently UK ones dont. So you wouldnt be able to sell it here either. Just to be sure, you could sell it before you leave and buy another when you get here.

BTW, just as an aside which never ceases to amuse me - in Aus, flog = steal. However, I still use it to = sell!

Quoll is right it needs the aussie kite mark on them and uk ones don't

Guest AnnChovy

Aussie carseats are better anyway, imho. They have a tether strap on the seatback and all cars have anchor points to hold that, in addition to whatever strap combo they have.

You can also get handy little harness thingies http://www.britax.com.au/Websites/Business/brproddb.nsf/LUPages/Child%20Car%20Seats-Protecta%20Harness

that hook onto those anchors- the only straps our little larrikin can't wriggle out of.

This link shows an example of what you can get here:

Britax - Safe-n-Sound Boosters (don't laugh at the cup holders- need to keep the darlings hydrated)

(Disclaimer: I have no link with Britax. Other brands are good too)

Thanks for reply.

Have got tether strap and ISOFIX on this car seat. It is top of the range Mercedes seat that cost lots of dosh but very safe so shame we can't use it over there. Can't see how Aus ones can be better unless they are rear facing for much longer like the Danish.

Ta anyway.gv v vbbvbbbbb bnbmduduuifcxxxxgv\bv \\\\\\\\\\ssaaaaxxd oops toddler on the keyboard!

Thanks for reply.

Have got tether strap and ISOFIX on this car seat. It is top of the range Mercedes seat that cost lots of dosh but very safe so shame we can't use it over there. Can't see how Aus ones can be better unless they are rear facing for much longer like the Danish.

Ta anyway.gv v vbbvbbbbb bnbmduduuifcxxxxgv\bv \\\\\\\\\\ssaaaaxxd oops toddler on the keyboard!

No one said that the Aussie seats are better or safter - just that they have the Aussie seal of approval which isnt the same thing at all:nah:

Guest AnnChovy
No one said that the Aussie seats are better or safter

I did though. But hearing the OP mention Isofix prompts to wonder- does anyone have Isofix in their cars here? (Our car is too old for Isofix but I am not sure if even the newer models have it here?)

We had a lovely (BMW) Isofix carseat at home too- but it did not have any attachment on the seat back and of course the car had no anchor point to which any such link could have been made secure. That is why I think our Aussie one is safer, but thankfully this is not based on any actual experience of either seat in an accident, so I am happy to admit that I may be completely wrong.

I know how much those Isofix seats cost so I am sorry indeed for you having to leave it behind. (But maybe ask Mercedes if it IS approved for Oz? Being Mercedes you might be able to have it upgraded at yout local dealer or something.)

I did though. But hearing the OP mention Isofix prompts to wonder- does anyone have Isofix in their cars here? (Our car is too old for Isofix but I am not sure if even the newer models have it here?)

We had a lovely (BMW) Isofix carseat at home too- but it did not have any attachment on the seat back and of course the car had no anchor point to which any such link could have been made secure. That is why I think our Aussie one is safer, but thankfully this is not based on any actual experience of either seat in an accident, so I am happy to admit that I may be completely wrong.

I know how much those Isofix seats cost so I am sorry indeed for you having to leave it behind. (But maybe ask Mercedes if it IS approved for Oz? Being Mercedes you might be able to have it upgraded at yout local dealer or something.)

Thanks AnnChovy - good idea - will contact Merc and see if it is the same seat that's sold in Aus. We emigrate in Jan to Canberra so need to get my skates on. Understand from another thread you are already there. Hold the sunshine!

Thanks AnnChovy - good idea - will contact Merc and see if it is the same seat that's sold in Aus. We emigrate in Jan to Canberra so need to get my skates on. Understand from another thread you are already there. Hold the sunshine!

No worries, the sunshine will be here, it is always here, every day, day in, day out.:twitcy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slipshot

Just came across this and though I would answer the question...

ISOF|IX does appear in some cars in Australia but it's not called ISOFIX since that is not normal terminology at the moment. From what I understand, the Australian system for connecting car seats in the past has been via a rigid connection, as did some other countries. The UK was happy with seat belts thus there is no strong connection between the car seat and the chassis of the car.

ISOFIX was developed to be a global system (long term) that all seats could use.

At minimum it needed the two connection points at the rear of the seat. An option was the third connection point, a top tether that was standard requirement via ADR in Australia.

There are many cars in Aus that have ISOFIX or solid connections points (virtually the same but not called ISOFIX). For example, most Subaru's, Kia's and some European cars will have it.

As a further example, a Ford Focus in Aus is just the European model but that does not come with ISOFIX. However, you can, from the UK (and possibly from Aus) buy the ISOFIX bracket that bolts into the chassis - the screw holes are there for it, and I did this on my Focus ST in the UK (XR5 in Aus) and it makes it fully ISFOX legal.

Thus it all depends on the car and it's really only something you can see in situ - since it may be called something different yet refer to the same piece f equipment.

From my standpoint, I intend to take all three of our ISFIX car seats to Aus with me and buy a car with ISOFIX mountings. One the seats are perfectly good and it would be a major waste of money to not take them and have to buy again.

Two, the seats are safe, and thus will be if fitted correctly in Australia (although not meeting Aus design rules that does not make them unsafe).

And three, the kids will move into older car seats as they grow which will be new ones purchased in Australia.

Just my viewpoint and hope it helps...

So, in Australia,

Just came across this and though I would answer the question...

ISOF|IX does appear in some cars in Australia but it's not called ISOFIX since that is not normal terminology at the moment. From what I understand, the Australian system for connecting car seats in the past has been via a rigid connection, as did some other countries. The UK was happy with seat belts thus there is no strong connection between the car seat and the chassis of the car.

ISOFIX was developed to be a global system (long term) that all seats could use.

At minimum it needed the two connection points at the rear of the seat. An option was the third connection point, a top tether that was standard requirement via ADR in Australia.

There are many cars in Aus that have ISOFIX or solid connections points (virtually the same but not called ISOFIX). For example, most Subaru's, Kia's and some European cars will have it.

As a further example, a Ford Focus in Aus is just the European model but that does not come with ISOFIX. However, you can, from the UK (and possibly from Aus) buy the ISOFIX bracket that bolts into the chassis - the screw holes are there for it, and I did this on my Focus ST in the UK (XR5 in Aus) and it makes it fully ISFOX legal.

Thus it all depends on the car and it's really only something you can see in situ - since it may be called something different yet refer to the same piece f equipment.

From my standpoint, I intend to take all three of our ISFIX car seats to Aus with me and buy a car with ISOFIX mountings. One the seats are perfectly good and it would be a major waste of money to not take them and have to buy again.

Two, the seats are safe, and thus will be if fitted correctly in Australia (although not meeting Aus design rules that does not make them unsafe).

And three, the kids will move into older car seats as they grow which will be new ones purchased in Australia.

Just my viewpoint and hope it helps...

So, in Australia,

I think it may have to do with your insurance cover and also the fact that it is illegal not to be in an approved seat. No, it doesnt make them unsafe at all it just happens to be illegal

http://www.atsb.gov.au/pdfs/child_restraints.pdf p 15.

• 1 month later...
Guest dan&nikki

so if i cant use the car seat we have in the UK - does anyone know where i can buy a new one over the internet - ie whats the Aus equiv. to Halfords/Mothercare/toys r us? etc....

Guest proud2beaussie

There is an Ausralian company called Britax the manufactures a full range of approved

child restraints called Safe N Sound.

Their website is Britax - Home Page click on the child seats link.

Also all states have a motorists organisation which is similar to the AA and these

organisations can also advise you.

HTH.

Archived