Early stages decision: Adelaide or Perth?

Guest Architect&Dentist

Guest Architect&Dentist

Adelaide or Perth?

This is the question that you probably are tired of answering: Which place is best? this or that? Sorry, but I still have to ask.

Having been devouring all the online info I can get my hands on, we came to the conclusion that only the 2 capital cities (and respective surroundings) with a mediterranean climate were of interest to us.

Due to both our professions (Architect & Dentist) we don't think we'll have many problems getting visas, so it is just a question of finding the better place to settle.

We do plan on visiting beforehand, but all the info we can get in advance will be much appreciated.

Some of our questions are:

1) How easy is to build your own home?

2) How well are the suburbs served of public transport, trains in particular?

3) How easy is to socially integrate?

4) What are the most dangerous creatures we need to look out for?

5) How easy it is to get european goods in the local shops/markets?

6) Can we safely swim in the local beaches?

7) One of us is rather affected by extreme cold and extreme heat. How badly do extreme temperatures affect this region?

8) Can we use our UK driving licences over there?

9) How long do flights to UK take (on average?)

10) How long does it take on the train to Sidney (from Adelaide)?

And finally, what are the most difficult aspects of the initial stages of the settling process (first 12 months)?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later on... Thanks in advance to all repliers.

Cheers!

Ok Guys I havent been to Perth but lots like it and some people dont , like any other Australian state really. Ile try and kick start your thread and hope that others will answer for you

Relatively easy, see lots of land available in Adelaide

Found transport to be good, although we cheated and had a car. Adelaide to us was just so easy to find your way around - great roads!

We found this really easy, even though we were just on holiday, Adelaide is fairly small and people were so friendly

A friend got bitten by a spider after a storm!! We went swimming with the Dolphins and they were on the look out for sharks - but all was well.

New years Eve there was a cute Koala in the tree

Sorry cant answer this one, although had to take my sis some Marmite over

We did, most beaches had Lifeguards and flags

7) One of us is rather affected by extreme cold and extreme heat. How badly do extreme temperatures affect this region?

Now I think Perth is hotter than Adelaide and Adelaide do have winters and they also do have a real summer (unlike here), so the weather in Adelaide would probably suit you better

Yep you can

Sorry cant remember it was approx 16 hours to Singapore then we went to Brisbane which was another 8 (I think):wacko:

I'd be looking at a flight instead!

And finally, what are the most difficult aspects of the initial stages of the settling process (first 12 months)?

Missing everything that is familiar to you ie friends, family, places, food etc... Just generally not knowing where you are until you get your bearings

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later on... Thanks in advance to all repliers.

Cheers!

Well I hope it helped abit for you, could only answer from a brief visit to Adelaide, which I loved

Good luck with the research!

Adelaide or Perth?

This is the question that you probably are tired of answering: Which place is best? this or that? Sorry, but I still have to ask.

Having been devouring all the online info I can get my hands on, we came to the conclusion that only the 2 capital cities (and respective surroundings) with a mediterranean climate were of interest to us.

Due to both our professions (Architect & Dentist) we don't think we'll have many problems getting visas, so it is just a question of finding the better place to settle.

We do plan on visiting beforehand, but all the info we can get in advance will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi welcome to poms in oz. Myself perth is my option as it ticks all my boxes. I am a dental technician & at the moment running my own prosthetic lab in Newbury Berkshire. we are at the final stage now visa weeks away now. I am going to restart my private lab again in perth as i will be taking all my equipement with me. There seems to be a lack of pros techs in perth & then most are not fully qualified. Where do you practice in the uk at the moment? & may be I could help you out with any questions you need to know on filling out forms just e-mail me. Best of luck & maybe see you in perth. Eugene.

Ok Guys I havent been to Perth but lots like it and some people dont , like any other Australian state really. Ile try and kick start your thread and hope that others will answer for you

Relatively easy, see lots of land available in Adelaide

Found transport to be good, although we cheated and had a car. Adelaide to us was just so easy to find your way around - great roads!

We found this really easy, even though we were just on holiday, Adelaide is fairly small and people were so friendly

A friend got bitten by a spider after a storm!! We went swimming with the Dolphins and they were on the look out for sharks - but all was well.

New years Eve there was a cute Koala in the tree

Sorry cant answer this one, although had to take my sis some Marmite over

We did, most beaches had Lifeguards and flags

Now I think Perth is hotter than Adelaide and Adelaide do have winters and they also do have a real summer (unlike here), so the weather in Adelaide would probably suit you better

Yep you can

Sorry cant remember it was approx 16 hours to Singapore then we went to Brisbane which was another 8 (I think):wacko:

I'd be looking at a flight instead!

Missing everything that is familiar to you ie friends, family, places, food etc... Just generally not knowing where you are until you get your bearings

Cheers!

Well I hope it helped abit for you, could only answer from a brief visit to Adelaide, which I loved

Good luck with the research!

Hi welcome to poms in oz. Myself perth is my option as it ticks all my boxes. I am a dental technician & at the moment running my own prosthetic lab in Newbury Berkshire. we are at the final stage now visa weeks away now. I am going to restart my private lab again in perth as i will be taking all my equipement with me. There seems to be a lack of pros techs in perth & then most are not fully qualified. Where do you practice in the uk at the moment? & may be I could help you out with any questions you need to know on filling out forms just e-mail me. Best of luck & maybe see you in perth. Eugene.

All dentists use there own labs cost you **** load sto get established I think Pewrth theres 1 on every suburb may be wrong

Guest Architect&Dentist

Hi Eugene,

We're in Leeds. We are at the very early planning stages and mostly gathering info.

Cheers for the help anyway!

Perth v Adelaide

Have been to both. As with rest of places in Aus they are all completely different and have a very different feel about each. I think you will know which you prefer when you visit both. It is a bit like asking do you prefer France or Germany? Depends on what you like as a person.

Perth is a much younger place (average age around 24 apparently so I was told) whereas Adelaide tends to gear to an older generation (10 pound boat from UK in 60's(?) tended to drop off in Adelaide so older generation of Brits there but they have now had families out there too).

Perth's infrastructure is geared towards it expanding. There are many suburb stations that have been built and are slowly opening as the population grows. Adelaide is more established so has an older feel to it and I did not get the feeling it would be changing. Good for vineyards too!

Perth more isolated from other cities of Aus than Adelaide (good for Margaret River wine tasting though!). See map. To give an idea of scale it took me around 3 and a half hours to from from Sydney to Canberra. There is one main train line round Aus and that is being developed further now. When I went over (2006) prices were more expensive than flying but that may have changed. Most people fly between Aus cities.

Social integration is similar to UK cities in that it depends on the suburb you live. My general feel for all of Aus was that as a whole it is friendlier than the Uk maybe because it just isn't at capacity like the UK is.

Perth gets very hot a lot whereas Adelaide is a more med climite so you get more seasonal variations.

Many friends have moved to Aus. General feedback is that most difficult thing is that you miss your family and friends initially. Of interest one friend who was there for 8 yrs came back this year because they were getting fed up of the high taxes (medics in the 45% tax top bracket) and having been in UK for less than a year are now talking about moving back to Aus!

Hope this helps

Hi Eugene,

We're in Leeds. We are at the very early planning stages and mostly gathering info.

Hi why are you in gods country not in the pub , I was going to say time difference but its Friday should be inthe pub drinkin tetlays,johhn smiths and the cocophny (spelled wrong I canguess) of real alews

Mally

Guest Architect&Dentist

LOL! I'm asking myself the same question. A good Sam Smith or a T. Taylor's Landlord would go down very nicely now!

All dentists use there own labs cost you **** load sto get established I think Pewrth theres 1 on every suburb may be wrong

no your not wrong & do you have any conections there with labs? all info greatfully received. What you find in england labs do the whole thing Crowns ,Chromes , Implants , ortho, dentures. In oz they mostly have labs only concentrating on one aspect. In the case of dentures there are not many techs doing it as most concentrate on crown work as there is more money in it. For me to establish a lab the cost is minimal as I already have the equipment.I work on my own as this gives me a one to one contact with the dentist that most labs can not offer plus I go for quality not quantity.

no your not wrong & do you have any conections there with labs? all info greatfully received. What you find in england labs do the whole thing Crowns ,Chromes , Implants , ortho, dentures. In oz they mostly have labs only concentrating on one aspect. In the case of dentures there are not many techs doing it as most concentrate on crown work as there is more money in it. For me to establish a lab the cost is minimal as I already have the equipment.I work on my own as this gives me a one to one contact with the dentist that most labs can not offer plus I go for quality not quantity.

Wish you guys were coming to Brisbane the oh needs alot of work done on his teeth, not got the time to have it all done here now. I quite like to have my teeth whitened:biggrin: but not sure how much that would cost in Aus. Looked in my dentist the other day and they are doing whitening of teeth for £199.00 for this month and December only!!

Wish you guys were coming to Brisbane the oh needs alot of work done on his teeth, not got the time to have it all done here now. I quite like to have my teeth whitened:biggrin: but not sure how much that would cost in Aus. Looked in my dentist the other day and they are doing whitening of teeth for £199.00 for this month and December only!!

you wont get a better price than that not round here anyway.

How long does it last?

It depends on your life stile, do you drink lots of coffee ,tea red wine or do you eat lots of currys all these stain your teeth. with bleaching you can top up the treatment every six months or so but your dentist will tell you all this. ingeneral 18momths to 2 years with a good diet.

It depends on your life stile, do you drink lots of coffee ,tea red wine or do you eat lots of currys all these stain your teeth. with bleaching you can top up the treatment every six months or so but your dentist will tell you all this. ingeneral 18momths to 2 years with a good diet.

Thank you so much for the information - I might even treat myself before I go

:cute:

Guest Guest9973
Hi Eugene,

I'm an ex Leeds lad myself - say hello to Sunny Pudsey,Bramley and Farsley for me!:smile:

Archived