Bush Fires

BuddysMum

I have read of the risks involved in buying property which backs onto the bush, especially gum trees. And obviously I have heard about some of the major bush fires in recent years.

We also see many beautiful homes advertised on real estate sites. and in UK we would love to be able to buy a semi-rural home (as we have now). But with regard to the bush fire thing...I have noticed that many of these lovely homes are very new-looking and I am wondering if they are rebuilds after a fire?

Here in Berkshire we were able to find a site which had records of flood areas and we were able to assess the risks of flooding for our present house before we bought it.

I realise that flooding is just a little more predictable than fire, but I wonder if there is any site which lists where bush fires have happened in the past?

Thanks

Bush fire happens every year in Australia and some years are worse than others.

Grass fires are the fastest fires and they are very dangerous.

Its just one of the things we live with here.

Have a look at this wiki site and you will get more information Bushfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Department of Sustainability and Environment in Victoria is a good site for finding out about bush fire as well.

AFAIK there are not any lists of rebuilds after a fire but a quick chat in the local supermarket will tell you. If you get anything rural it doesnt really matter if they have had fires there before or not, you still have to be very careful about fire protection because basically anywhere that borders on bush is vulnerable. We lost 500+ suburban homes when a fire came out of the West a few years ago and because we were a nice "city" no one did the basic protections - not that it would have made one iota of difference anyway, we had a fire storm. If you do get a property backing on to bush, I would get advice from the local fire brigade about how to make it as fire proof as possible. It really doesnt matter if it has been burned before or not.

Archived