Mackay..... any info please !!

scottntina

Hi Guys

My OH is looking into the possibility of a job at the coal mines apparently a couple of hours away from Mackay.

Just wondered if anyone on here knows much about the area, with regards living in or near the area. Shopping, things to do, any coastal areas, social life, approx age groups.... etc etc Any info much appreciated....

Thanks Tina and Scott (electrician):yes:

P.S are things slowing down at the mines recently ??

Howdy guys,

I live in Mackay with my husband who is english. Mackay itself if booming, both employment and infrastructure wise. If you have a working visa and you are legal to work then you will find work in Mackay easily within a week. Now if you are trying to get into one of the mines around Mackay then that's not so easy. They are looking for trades people... fitter & turners, electricians etc. Even if you do have these qualifications, you will find most of the mines will only recruit during an intake of staff and draw on those successful applicants for a 12 month period. I work for Rio Tinto so if you have any direct questions, just email me.

In regards to accomodation etc, Mackay is a pretty big town now and as such, has quite a few housing estates and rentals available. This has driven demand down slightly but the rents are still high compared to other towns within the area. Expect to pay $400 upwards for a three bedroom brick home and up to $600 for an executive residence. We never found it hard to find a home to live, we found a place in two days after viewing four properties. We also said we'd pay two months rent in advance which I believe gave us a bigger choice in rentals. There are a few "suburbs" outside Mackay that can be cheaper... Sarina is one. It's about half an hours drive from Mackay. Once you start heading out towards the mines, the rents go up. On the highway to Nebo you've got the likes of Walkerston and Marian which will see you paying around $500 per week as they are getting to under an hour to the closest mines. There are heaps of beaches, lots of sporting clubs, model clubs, bike clubs and pubs etc. Everything you could possibly want is here except the big city atmosphere. If you like to party and go clubing a lot, you'll think the place is lacking. It is a big country town but the people are really nice, and as I said, there is heaps of work available. If you are a carpenter or electrician, you will get a job in town quite easily. Although the pay is not as good as the mines, you'll find the hours easier and the lifestyle easier. It all depends on what you are looking for really.

Like I said, if you need help, please email me and I'll try and help you out.

Cheers

Lisa

Its the gateway to the Wittsunday islands, a bit industrial but some nice residential pockets.some of the mining communities are, a bit rough, Moranbah is full of 6 fingered banjo players.

....Moranbah is two hours inland from Mackay... don't know about the six fingers

with nothing between except cattle farms and miners dongers

Hi Lisa, Thanks so much for your reply. You make it sound like a great place to live. My OH is an electrician, and used to more industrial rather than domestic, so the mines would be perfect for him. He is used to working at power stations and the like. We are hopefully coming over on a skilled visa in 2009. I am a phlebotomist (i take blood, for blood testing) in my local hospital, although really can put my hands to most things. So happy to find work in any field really. We are both around the forty age group so our clubbing days are over but we do like dining out occassionally, and drinking the odd glass of wine or four(hehe). We would be initially renting and hoping to find a coastal property, maybe only two bedrooms, as only the two of us coming over. How long have you been in sunny OZ, and how have you found the big move.... Once again thanks for all the info, sounds like we maybe neighbours one day !! ( well hopefully)..... Take care Tina

Archived