Getting in on old occupation anyone been sucessful??

Guest chief-a-roo

Guest chief-a-roo

We have been told that my husband who is an engineer by trade and worked in the yacht industry as a chief engineer, can get in using this old career, as he has now moved to work in technical sales and has been for the last 5 years, selling to the engineering sectors.

Our agent has told us we can get his assesment based on engineering and get a 60 point occupation where as technical sales is 50 and leaves us short.. she then said after we get the 60 we can get him 10 points for experience if we can prove that his current position wouldn't be possible without the engineering background, which is true??

has anyone else tried to get in via this method??

We are just about to sign up for this assesment just thought it was worth asking??

THANKS!!

Hi there,

Can't really advise, but my situation is very similar. I am currently employed as a draughtsman, which comes under Mechanical Engineering Associate Professional on the SOL and carries 40 points. I can only muster 80 points in total. My original occupation/trade was maintenance fitter, which carries 60 points and is also on the skills in demand list which qualifies for an extra 20. This would give me the required 120 points for the 136 visa. I had about 13 years post apprenticeship experience in this trade but have been draughting for about 9 years now so I don't know if this experience can be counted. I understand for a 60 point trade you need to have worked in it for 12 out of the previous 18 months, although you still get some points for experience in any trade/profession on the SOL. I am even considering going back to fitting for 12 months then applying for the 136.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hopefully someone out there can answer both our questions :!:

Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

Our agent has told us we can get his assesment based on engineering and get a 60 point occupation where as technical sales is 50 and leaves us short.. she then said after we get the 60 we can get him 10 points for experience if we can prove that his current position wouldn't be possible without the engineering background, which is true??

has anyone else tried to get in via this method??

Technical sales and engineering are probably not too closely related. Only your agent who is privy to your specific details can properly advise whether this strategy is worth taking or otherwise.

Do not discount the fact that DIAC officers can tell the difference between a sales-based job and a technical/engineering job. It's not a difficult thing to do, really.

Peter

Hi

Assuming your husband's previous engineering and training does not fall under Marine Engineer, a 40 point occupation, he may get approval for a 60 point Engineering or 60 point Engineering Technologist occupation - depends on the qualification, when and where it was obtained as to whether it comes under one of the Engineering Accords. even some Engineering HNC's are good enough for some Technologist 60 point occupations - so never knock the power of the old HNC.

Where Recent skilled experience differs from the occupation actually assessed, there is no problem in principle other than the Case Officer must be satisfied that you have met the Australian Standard for the 2nd occupation (in the absence of a related skills assessment), and that you met that Australian standard before any periods you wish to use, be it 3 years in the last 4, or 12 months in the last 18.

So the Decision maker goes back to the ASCO dictionary and sees that the Australian Standard for Sales Rep (industrial Products) is a Bachelor degree or at least 5 years relevant experience. If you have an Engineering degree fine, if not, you will need to convince the decision maker that you had 5 years relevant technical sales experience prior to the last 3 years if you are looking for 5 or 10 specific work experience points. So arguments will need to be made, as you have 5 years experience in Sales, that after 2 years you, you were at the Australian standard based on previous Engineering qualification and previous Engineering experience, plus the two years of sales experience - not impossible but some case officers will buy it some may not. There is then a separate question on whether that case officer will regard the two occupations as closely related - again arguments can be made but no guarantees that 10 points will be awarded above 05 points. So a couple of ifs, buts and maybes and as long as you are aware of the risks and hopefully can invest if the award of 5 points for Specific Work experience leaves you 05 short, then it is worth proceeding with a 136 application. I would be wary of an Agent who claims this is straight forward and you will definitely score the required points as you are in the hands of the discretion of the case officer and you have no right of review.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

Archived