What business should I start in NSW

zoeburrell

Hi All

We are going to be emigrating in January (assuming the house sale ever happens!!) and will be settling in the North Shore area, NSW. We are coming on a business owners visa which means that I will have to either buy an existing business or start a business as soon as we arrive (otherwise we'll be living on savings!).

Does anyone have any ideas for businesses that may be successful there? At the moment I own a chauffeur company here in the UK which is very successful but is also 24/7! I'd like something that allows me to spend a little more time with my children (12 & 14yrs)

Any ideas / suggestions would be most welcome :spinny:

Many thanks

Zoe xxx

Zoe,

We could do with another shop that sells all english foods etc, the only one i know of in Syd is darling harbour - probably not what you had in mind but just a suggestion !!!

stuju

Hi Stuju

I had thought about it - one way to get our marmite on the cheap if I own the store!! :yes:

Thanks for the reply

Zoe xx

Guest earlswood

Fast food outlets (junk food) are massive over here...so a good healthy sandwich shop with granary bread would go down well with the Brits....the Aussies will not touch it unless it is dripping in oil though.

Guest Redcentre

Hello Zoe & Family,

Moving to Oz is always a matter of "do what you know best". Perhaps you can start off in the Hire Car area and move on later.

I have an ex-employee who worked for a Hire Car company and did so well that he now has his own business. I bumped into him about 8 weeks ago at the airport and he said business was very busy, but he did find it difficult to get drivers.

If you don't fancy the "old job" perhaps opening a British Shop on the North shore is not such a bad idea. We know of a new business that opened in the Southern Highlands by two Poms and they are doing really well. The secret is to open in an area where a large Ex pat community exists. I am not sure what the mix is of Brits on the North Shore but to my knowledge no other British Shop exists. There are several shops in Sydney such as Darling Harbour (large tourist trade),Sky Gardens Shoping Centre (large tourist trade),Bondi Junction ( mix of locals and some tourists), Windsor ( tourist area) etc.

As you can see most shops have a strong tourist connection so this must be a consideration. I would suggest Manly as an idea area for a British Shop. Plus open a web site to attract Australia wide trade.

If you fancy buying another type of business there are loads to chose from, but and it's a big but, the economy is slowing big time and coffee shops and cafe's are seeing a big downturn in trade. Anyway my advice is don't rush into anything as there are going to be loads of businesses for sale ovr the next year or two come over have a look and make up your mind after a couple of months. Remember you will need to grow your business and finding a niche is the way to go. Hope this helps little. I do wish you well and hope you enjoy Sydney as much as we have.

Fast food outlets (junk food) are massive over here...so a good healthy sandwich shop with granary bread would go down well with the Brits....the Aussies will not touch it unless it is dripping in oil though.

Thanks Earlswood - we actually found that the area in Sydney we'd be looking to move to had lots of healthy sandwich bars / juice bars and few fast food / greasy spoons. That was a big reason for getting my kids out of the UK - aiming for a healthier lifestyle all round for all of us. Get them outdoors more and eating less junk. I did think about a boost juice franchise but they seemed to be everywhere.... Also, we found that when we did venture into a McDonalds (only once in 4 weeks, thank God, and only because my son kept seeing the signs and begged!) it was full of Brits, not Aussies - it was always the healthier option restaurants we met locals.

Cheers anyway,

Zoe

Hello Zoe & Family,

Moving to Oz is always a matter of "do what you know best". Perhaps you can start off in the Hire Car area and move on later.

I have an ex-employee who worked for a Hire Car company and did so well that he now has his own business. I bumped into him about 8 weeks ago at the airport and he said business was very busy, but he did find it difficult to get drivers.

If you don't fancy the "old job" perhaps opening a British Shop on the North shore is not such a bad idea. We know of a new business that opened in the Southern Highlands by two Poms and they are doing really well. The secret is to open in an area where a large Ex pat community exists. I am not sure what the mix is of Brits on the North Shore but to my knowledge no other British Shop exists. There are several shops in Sydney such as Darling Harbour (large tourist trade),Sky Gardens Shoping Centre (large tourist trade),Bondi Junction ( mix of locals and some tourists), Windsor ( tourist area) etc.

As you can see most shops have a strong tourist connection so this must be a consideration. I would suggest Manly as an idea area for a British Shop. Plus open a web site to attract Australia wide trade.

If you fancy buying another type of business there are loads to chose from, but and it's a big but, the economy is slowing big time and coffee shops and cafe's are seeing a big downturn in trade. Anyway my advice is don't rush into anything as there are going to be loads of businesses for sale ovr the next year or two come over have a look and make up your mind after a couple of months. Remember you will need to grow your business and finding a niche is the way to go. Hope this helps little. I do wish you well and hope you enjoy Sydney as much as we have.

Hi Redcentre

I have thought about sticking to what I know - in fact the agent I've employed has done some research on the local area and written my business plan based on exactly that. And I have to say even he said there is a call for an upmarket 'chauffeur driven' executive car service on the North Shores and the business plan is glowing! As tempting as it is it still brings me back to the reason we are leaving the UK and coming to Australia - so that I can spend more quality time with the children and somewhere we can all have a healthier, more outdoors, lifetyle. The chauffeur business I have here has steadily grown over the last 8 years (has 16 mercedes cars now) but we do a lot of work 'out of hours' that takes my attention away from the children. Although I have drivers to drive the cars so I can run the business from home, sometimes the phone rings off the hook! I know I need a break from the 24/7 of having my work head on and get back to being a mum too!

The English shop is still in the back of my mind, maybe I should start doing a little research in to that. I have taken on board what you've said about the downturn in trade for the coffee shops etc, thank you. Here in the UK as we enter 'recession' you walk along the high st and see exactly where people make their cut backs and cafe's / sandwich shops etc are all really quiet. I don't know whether (assuming that Australia is heading the same way as predicted by the 'experts') the English Shop would also been seen somewhat as a luxury that families would just have to do without?? I know that really cheap supermakets like Lidl and Aldi are seeing a big increase in trade here - does that mean that foodstuffs are actually easlily replaced with cheaper alternatives when people have to tighten their belts? Who knows - for me there's only one Marmite and no cheap alternative will ever do!!

Thanks again for your input, nice to hear from someone who has settled where we are planning to go :smile:

Cheers

Zoe xx

get a snax wagon and do the rounds on building sites and industrial estates. If i was staying that's what i would do.

Hi Aldo

I've thought about this one too! I've done a lot of thinking! The only negative on this one was my childrens reaction..... 'you're going to be a mobile sandwich van??????!!!!! Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... do you have to??? How embarrassing!!!'

I know it would pay the bills and probably do quite well - I'd be up early making the sandwiches, but at home with the kids before school, be out all day whilst they're actually at school which would be great and then home for when they return..... It would be Monday - Friday leaving weekends free to be with them..... Only research I haven't done is whether there's a call for that sort of thing on the North Shore?

Should I be listening to my kids for business advice??!!

Cheers Zoe xx

Guest earlswood
Thanks Earlswood - we actually found that the area in Sydney we'd be looking to move to had lots of healthy sandwich bars / juice bars and few fast food / greasy spoons. That was a big reason for getting my kids out of the UK - aiming for a healthier lifestyle all round for all of us. Get them outdoors more and eating less junk. I did think about a boost juice franchise but they seemed to be everywhere.... Also, we found that when we did venture into a McDonalds (only once in 4 weeks, thank God, and only because my son kept seeing the signs and begged!) it was full of Brits, not Aussies - it was always the healthier option restaurants we met locals.

Cheers anyway,

Zoe

Where I have worked it's the Aussies that always have a burger or pizza at lunch time and the brits bring sandwiches.

I am serious about a good sandwich bar in Perth as there is a junk food outlet on virtually every corner and I do find the Aussies eat far more junk food than the Brits who have probably had it drummed into them back home with the goverment and the likes of jamie oliver, when I go to a barbie it's the brits who bring the chicken and fish and the aussies with the sausages and burgers....Perth has a lot of Brits who do crave some really good healthy outlets and I think you would do really well if you took a chance.

hiya, i think you have to wait to you get here and look around! and find out what is in demand etc! you can not really go with a set thing in your head,move there and find 5/6 others in the area!! i had my own baby shop in uk, thought about doing it when i got here etc, looked around, and there is no piont doing one! so have had another look around to see what was lacking etc, and now have a new idea, it has been put to the council etc, and all being well could be up and running within a month or two! know your market as they say!! good luck to you, hope all goes well!!

sheena :wubclub:

Hi Zoe,

We're planning on going under the Business Visa too. The thing is that you need to achieve the minimum turnover for your visa before you can claim PR status. So for those first few years, it's probably better to play safe. The way economy the way it is at the mo, maybe doing what you know initially, get the ball rolling, may improve your chances if you do wish to reside in Australia permanently. You could then sell up and start doing something new later. I appreciate your children's ages though. It's a difficult one. We certainly don't want to drag our 4 children over there, fail then have to bring everyone back. We're hoping that we can check out the businesses etc., during one last holiday before we move. But things don't always turn out as planned!

Tracey

Where I have worked it's the Aussies that always have a burger or pizza at lunch time and the brits bring sandwiches.

I am serious about a good sandwich bar in Perth as there is a junk food outlet on virtually every corner and I do find the Aussies eat far more junk food than the Brits who have probably had it drummed into them back home with the goverment and the likes of jamie oliver, when I go to a barbie it's the brits who bring the chicken and fish and the aussies with the sausages and burgers....Perth has a lot of Brits who do crave some really good healthy outlets and I think you would do really well if you took a chance.

Maybe it's different in Perth? We are heading to Sydney and there seemed to be plenty of healthy sandwich bars there when we did our recci last year. I also have to say Jamie Oliver has a new programme out here at the moment - Jamies Ministry of Food. He's having a battle trying to teach some Northern Town about healthy home cooking... 4 weeks in (I think) and he's still struggling with the whole 'It's easier to buy a bag of chips or a kebab' mentality. I think, where ever you are in the world you will get people eating junk - be they Brits, Aussies, Americans, whoever... its not just the odd Aussie that eats unhealthily - all nationalities can be guilty of that!

Thanks anyway - maybe you should think of setting up that healthy sandwich bar in Perth? Give you some personal and job satisfaction?

hiya, i think you have to wait to you get here and look around! and find out what is in demand etc! you can not really go with a set thing in your head,move there and find 5/6 others in the area!! i had my own baby shop in uk, thought about doing it when i got here etc, looked around, and there is no piont doing one! so have had another look around to see what was lacking etc, and now have a new idea, it has been put to the council etc, and all being well could be up and running within a month or two! know your market as they say!! good luck to you, hope all goes well!!

sheena

Hi Sheena

I agree with what you say, I was just trying to get some ideas - I've been looking at businesses for sale in the area we are going to be settling in and, as you say, you need to know your market. I thought if I posed the Q on here that, if anyone is local to the North Shores area, they may have some ideas. Thank you for your reply though and good luck with your new venture :smile:

Hi Zoe,

We're planning on going under the Business Visa too. The thing is that you need to achieve the minimum turnover for your visa before you can claim PR status. So for those first few years, it's probably better to play safe. The way economy the way it is at the mo, maybe doing what you know initially, get the ball rolling, may improve your chances if you do wish to reside in Australia permanently. You could then sell up and start doing something new later. I appreciate your children's ages though. It's a difficult one. We certainly don't want to drag our 4 children over there, fail then have to bring everyone back. We're hoping that we can check out the businesses etc., during one last holiday before we move. But things don't always turn out as planned!

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Thanks for your reply, it's good to hear from someone in the same situation! It's a really tough call as to what to do isn't it? On one hand I think 'maybe I should buy an existing business that already fits the criteria regarding turnover / staff etc and do whatever that business takes so that we get PR status asap (I've been advised that if we have a business that fulfills the criteria we can apply for PR after a minimum 18 months) even if I hate it and it keeps me out all hours!' then I think 'we are moving to have a better quality of life and 18months/2years of doing something you hate every single day is going to feel like an eternity - better to go for something I enjoy and just hope it works'... then you think about uprooting the kids and 'what if it doesn't work'... the simple answer to that is I not to have that in your thoughts at all! I will do whatever it takes to give us a better life and to keep us there at the end of the day - I'm sure you will too. Keep positive and success will follow :smile:

All the best to you

Zoe xxx

• 2 months later...
Guest andrea turner

Hi Zoe

Hopefully everything has gone to plan and you are heading down under on January 12. We are a family of five, myself a young 44, William 46 and our three children, Elisha 16, Kyle 14 and Aimee 12. Our position is I hold citizenship and William and the kids are in the process of applying for a Partner migration visa. We hope to be heading for NSW around August/Sept and it will be intrested to see how you settle in on the business world in NSW as William in the UK has been succesfull in business and possibly looking to invest/partner or maybe share business ideas.

It would be great to share your experience of moving to NSW with us given that our kids are all of the same age.

Look forward to hearing from you

Good Luck

Andrea

Hi Zoe

Hopefully everything has gone to plan and you are heading down under on January 12. We are a family of five, myself a young 44, William 46 and our three children, Elisha 16, Kyle 14 and Aimee 12. Our position is I hold citizenship and William and the kids are in the process of applying for a Partner migration visa. We hope to be heading for NSW around August/Sept and it will be intrested to see how you settle in on the business world in NSW as William in the UK has been succesfull in business and possibly looking to invest/partner or maybe share business ideas.

It would be great to share your experience of moving to NSW with us given that our kids are all of the same age.

Look forward to hearing from you

Good Luck

Andrea

Welcome to PIO

Yes everything is still set for the 12th - getting close now, the house is completely upside down and buying a business i have to say is completely at the back of my mind at the moment till I get there and the children settled. I will certainly keep you updated and we should keep in touch, perhaps we could meet up when you arrive. Is your eldest getting nervous? My eldest had a few wobbles but is now very positive about it if they need anyone to speak to she is on PIO too (Becci14)

Good Luck with everything

Zoe and co xx

Guest Undecided!
the agent I've employed has done some research on the local area and written my business plan based on exactly that

Hi Zoe,

Can I ask what sort of agent you employed and how you found him? We are also toying with business ideas and it would be really helpful to get some sort of feedback on our ideas before we get there.

Many thanks.

Guest andrea turner

Hi Zoe

Thanks for your reply, the kids can't wait and are very excited about the challenges ahead of them, meeting new friends, attending a new school, it will be great to share your experience with us and also to hear how the kids settle in at school. Keep us updated on renting/buying a house? Any useful tips would be appreciated.

Good Luck from Scotland

Andrea

Good luck to you and the kids

Guest Prescotts

Hi Zoe

I live in Belrose on the Northern Beaches, I've seen a couple of your posts - are you moving to Warriewood? that's about 15 mins drive from me & your daughter is going to Mater school - is that right? No, I've not been talking you, have just been quietly reading the posts whilst it's quiet at work and I noticed a post re Mater as my 15yr old son's friend goes there.

There is an English shop in North Sydney where I work, it's only small & they never have any Marmite in stock (or Wheetabix any more) but there is a shop called Sugar Fix in Warringah Mall at Brookvale (near to Warriewood) that sells both these & other english food (not a huge stock but I can get Marmite at about $6 for 125g)

I'd be inclined to stick with what you know, however the mobile vans are very popular on the business parks around the northern beaches & I know coffee vans are also popular at the sports fields on the weekends particularly in the 'cold' winter months

Good luck with the trip out here - currently 31 degrees on th coast & 41 degrees in the western suburbs :-)

Jenny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest James.S

Hi, I too am in NSW and having left behind my company in the UK I have been wondering what to do here, my visa however is not so dependant on starting a company but its what i would really like to do as its what i enjoy..

One company that may be up your street given your experiance is to be able to offer a service to relocating families, either within Oz or coming to Oz from the Uk for instance. One thing we have found hard is finding a rental property for 6 months + that we have been happy with, in the meantime have been spending a small fortune on holiday apartments.

The other and main part of the service is for people like us who dont want to hire a fully furnished house as all our stuff is coming soon but we are stuck between a rock and a hard place as we only have suitcases to live out of.

What you could offer is the following type of package, to source mid term property rentals 3 - 6 months at a good rate, transport, again longer term car rental so that relocating people have time to shop around and do their homework before buying a car, you can then also hire out all of the day to day essentials that no one wants to buy but we all need... beds, linen, towels, pots & pans etc etc.. it could be a full package..

I dont know of anyone else doing such a thing, if your are interested maybe PM me, i am half way up the coast in NSW (Coffs Harbour), maybe it could be mutli-regional..?

Good luck anyway, im sure youll find something, but make sure its fun though or what is the point..!

James...

:jimlad:

Guest Magnetic6

Hi James

sorry i'm going off at a tangent here, but could you tell me how you are finding Coffs Harbour as we are also considering a move to that area.Is it quiet and do you know if the schools are ok, sorry only joined yesterday and still finding my way round the site, typed in coffs and you popped up!

Many thanks, Natalie

Guest James.S
Hi James

sorry i'm going off at a tangent here, but could you tell me how you are finding Coffs Harbour as we are also considering a move to that area.Is it quiet and do you know if the schools are ok, sorry only joined yesterday and still finding my way round the site, typed in coffs and you popped up!

Many thanks, Natalie

Hi Natalie, no probs for going of at an angle, i'll PM you...

James...

Hi Zoe,

Can I ask what sort of agent you employed and how you found him? We are also toying with business ideas and it would be really helpful to get some sort of feedback on our ideas before we get there.

Many thanks.

Hi there, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I just realised that this thread had been bumped back up! I used John Mumford form Visa Unit, he was extremely helpful, he is based in Hove but tends to travel around to various cities, and we did most of it over emails etc. Good Luck with everything

Zoe x

Hi Zoe

I live in Belrose on the Northern Beaches, I've seen a couple of your posts - are you moving to Warriewood? that's about 15 mins drive from me & your daughter is going to Mater school - is that right? No, I've not been talking you, have just been quietly reading the posts whilst it's quiet at work and I noticed a post re Mater as my 15yr old son's friend goes there.

There is an English shop in North Sydney where I work, it's only small & they never have any Marmite in stock (or Wheetabix any more) but there is a shop called Sugar Fix in Warringah Mall at Brookvale (near to Warriewood) that sells both these & other english food (not a huge stock but I can get Marmite at about $6 for 125g)

I'd be inclined to stick with what you know, however the mobile vans are very popular on the business parks around the northern beaches & I know coffee vans are also popular at the sports fields on the weekends particularly in the 'cold' winter months

Good luck with the trip out here - currently 31 degrees on th coast & 41 degrees in the western suburbs :-)

Hiya,

We are currently in Collaroy but were in Forrestville staying with friends last week, we are still looking for rentals in Narrabeen area, its a case of competing with the other 20 applicants!! Yes my 2 children start Marter tomorrow, I think they are a little anxious but I am sure they will be fine, the school seems lovely and very helpful! I'm still unsure of a business yet but once the children are settled I will focus on it a bit more. Thanks for your reply, and maybe we could meet up one day?

Zoe x

Jenny

Hi, I too am in NSW and having left behind my company in the UK I have been wondering what to do here, my visa however is not so dependant on starting a company but its what i would really like to do as its what i enjoy..

One company that may be up your street given your experiance is to be able to offer a service to relocating families, either within Oz or coming to Oz from the Uk for instance. One thing we have found hard is finding a rental property for 6 months + that we have been happy with, in the meantime have been spending a small fortune on holiday apartments.

The other and main part of the service is for people like us who dont want to hire a fully furnished house as all our stuff is coming soon but we are stuck between a rock and a hard place as we only have suitcases to live out of.

What you could offer is the following type of package, to source mid term property rentals 3 - 6 months at a good rate, transport, again longer term car rental so that relocating people have time to shop around and do their homework before buying a car, you can then also hire out all of the day to day essentials that no one wants to buy but we all need... beds, linen, towels, pots & pans etc etc.. it could be a full package..

I dont know of anyone else doing such a thing, if your are interested maybe PM me, i am half way up the coast in NSW (Coffs Harbour), maybe it could be mutli-regional..?

Good luck anyway, im sure youll find something, but make sure its fun though or what is the point..!

James...

:jimlad:

Hi James

We have experienced the same problems as you and I will be looking into it we are currently paying a small fortune for a holiday let but have decided to try and find our long term rental and make do without much furniture till our stuff arrives on the first week of March!! So watch this space.....

xx

Archived