General Advice

Guest phaw

Finally after a whole year of planning, our visa application has been submitted.

We hope to be flying to Sydney before Christmas.

Lucky i already have a job, which starts mid Jan.

We are looking for some general advice on :-

• Places to stay in the first few weeks.
  • Area reviews for Northern surburbs like Bella Vista, Baulkham Hills, Carlingsford, and areas along Pacific Hwy 1.
  • Rental hunting.

We are looking at family friendly areas, with lots of choice for schools, we have 4 children between 12 and 5.

Tough times and big adventures ahead.

Guest janexgyx

Hi there, I live in Sydney I am not sure about Baulkham hills (the Hills district) Its going to be very hot out there, try looking at real estate .com. A few local real estate agents, you can easily rent a holiday apartment for few weeks. Think your best bet would be having a look at the train lines to where you are going to work, Railcorp.com.au , caravan parks can be great fum for the kids. let me know where your working and i can perhaps help a little more. Jane

I will be working in Wetherhill park, so comuting for me is not an issue, as i will have a car. I have also worked on the basis of being close to a train link for access to the city.

My main concern is the fact that we are arriving during the peak tourist season, (christmas and new year) so holiday homes and hotels rents increase.

We have done i lot of looking on domain and realestate.

Could you suggest and caravan parks ?

Thanks

Finally after a whole year of planning, our visa application has been submitted.

We hope to be flying to Sydney before Christmas.

Lucky i already have a job, which starts mid Jan.

We are looking for some general advice on :-

• Places to stay in the first few weeks.

• Area reviews for Northern surburbs like Bella Vista, Baulkham Hills, Carlingsford, and areas along Pacific Hwy 1.

• Rental hunting.

We are looking at family friendly areas, with lots of choice for schools, we have 4 children between 12 and 5.

Tough times and big adventures ahead.

Hiya! I grew up in Carlingford - it's very family friendly! No, it's not near a beach, but a lot of houses have pools (or room to put one in!) - if not, there's lots of public pools and there's lots of bushland and wide open spaces. My parents now live in Castle Hill, which is where we'll be crashing until our container arrives - after that, if all goes to plan with jobs, etc., then we'll be looking to live in Baulkham Hills. If you want more specific info on Carlingford, particular schools, etc. feel free to ask - or drop me a PM. All the best. Jo

Guest cbr1100XX

Hi

To be perfectly honest Baulkham Hills and Bella Vista are a bit soulless. Masses and masses of huge houses but no shops, pubs etc... It's also a pain to get to if you have no car. There's no train line and the buses take an eternity to get to central Sydney. Carlingford on the other hand has a rail station and is slighlty better in that there 's more contrast of new and old buildings

That's my honest opinion.

cbr...

Hi, your best bet with regards property is to check out realestate.com.au/rentals it will give you an idea of prices and you can always googleearth the property then to check out the street! We came out just 10 days before christmas last year to Sydney and we stayed in serviced apartments try the Medina Apartments, clean comfortable, spacious and pretty reasonable. Word of warning all the estate agents close down for 2 weeks over christmas and the New Year, no-one told us that and it was a pain trying to find somewhere . Good luck, Jo

Hi

To be perfectly honest Baulkham Hills and Bella Vista are a bit soulless. Masses and masses of huge houses but no shops, pubs etc... It's also a pain to get to if you have no car. There's no train line and the buses take an eternity to get to central Sydney. Carlingford on the other hand has a rail station and is slighlty better in that there 's more contrast of new and old buildings

That's my honest opinion.

cbr...

Can't agree with you. You are talking about the new developments, which I agree ,in my opinion, are awful. However, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Winston Hills etc etc are older areas with plenty of shops, pubs, restaurants, anything you would want really. Doesn't take that long by train from Seven Hills. As the OP will be working in Wetherill Park the Hills District would be a good place to live. I will admit that I could be called bias as I've lived in the Hills for the best part of 40 years.:yes:

Can't agree with you. You are talking about the new developments, which I agree ,in my opinion, are awful. However, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Winston Hills etc etc are older areas with plenty of shops, pubs, restaurants, anything you would want really. Doesn't take that long by train from Seven Hills. As the OP will be working in Wetherill Park the Hills District would be a good place to live. I will admit that I could be called bias as I've lived in the Hills for the best part of 40 years.:yes:

Hi Ellie - I agree with you. Yes, there are plenty of new developments around and they're not great but there is still a good mix and lots of places to shop, eat, drink and work. Parramatta also isn't far away, is easy to get to and has a big CBD and huge shopping centre - as does Castle Hill. Carlingford is great - but is a bit more pricey if you're buying but we feel that Baulkham Hills is a great alternative with good schools.

Archived