Did the wrong visa ruin my life?!

Herbster

Hello:

Greetings from a Sunny Tasmania: :jiggy:

We've noticed there seems to be a lot of talk from Xpats returning home. Then there is a vocal bunch hating Australia, or just STUCK here, or merely BORED to death with the place, or are HAVING to stay in an area they hate because they are tied into a contract so they'd rather be back in the UK....which makes a Bear Wonder:

DID I GET THE WRONG VISA??!!!

&

DID THE WRONG VISA RUIN MY LIFE - OR WAS IT SOMETHING ELSE?

OR

EVEN WITH THE WRONG VISA I'M MAKING A SUCCESS OF MY LIFE!

Are YOU going home because maybe you got the wrong Visa? Are you working a job you hate because the Visa makes you DO IT??? Did you only realise once you were here that the Visa wasn't the Golden Ticket you were expecting or IN SPITE OF THE DIFFICULITIES & RESTRICTIONS You're happily making a go of it now... :yes:

What's your Story?

X AND PS: No Name-calling & No being Nasty to other Posters - thanks XxX

Guest HappyBunny

We nearly got the wrong visa! well, put it this way we were originally going to go to SA on a Regional State Sponsored visa which would have restricted by OH to working in his trade and we would only have got residency if he completed the qualifying number of months employment in his trade. We ended up coming on a PR visa and are glad we did. OH couldn't get enough work in his trade so is now doing something else. If we had come in on the original visa we would be well on our way to bankrupcy now, at least the PR visa has given us other options. We're trying hard to make it work and will see what happens. x

p.s. is it REALLY sunny in tassie today?

Oh YES GORGEOUS ACTUALLY: Still a breeze which is just a bit annoying depending where it catches you... We have the most amazing views here across the water to the Island but have the wind to contend with at this time of year... I'd say it's 71 out of the wind, stunning - Did you get the Big Storm last night??

Glad you realized that original Visa was the wrong one for you Happy Bunny and that you were able to get the right VISA for you guys - I 'm sure it HAS to make a huge difference to people's experiences! We, too, looked at SA sponsored & we did the same as you, PR136 but in Taz, & hubby is doing something completely different also! Never could have done so with a Sponsorship... So how are you liking OZ - been here long?

X

Guest HappyBunny
Oh YES GORGEOUS ACTUALLY: Still a breeze which is just a bit annoying depending where it catches you... We have the most amazing views here across the water to the Island but have the wind to contend with at this time of year... I'd say it's 71 out of the wind, stunning - Did you get the Big Storm last night??

Glad you realized that original Visa was the wrong one for you Happy Bunny and that you were able to get the right VISA for you guys - I 'm sure it HAS to make a huge difference to people's experiences! We, too, looked at SA sponsored & we did the same as you, PR136 but in Taz, & hubby is doing something completely different also! Never could have done so with a Sponsorship... So how are you liking OZ - been here long?

X

Hiya, funny isn't it we came to Queensland for the sun but right now it is grey and overcast, though warm. We missed the storm last night, bit of thunder, a bit more lightening and a quick shower, so a bit of a let down. I'm secretly worried that we've moved to tornado alley as no-one will tell me how bad the weather gets in Queensland!!!! We've been here 2 months and are on the up and down rollercoaster of adjusting to things, trying to earn enough to live off of etc. I like it here but I don't love it, I think given time it could start to feel like home but there is something missing at the moment that I can't put my finger on. I think it's the area not Australia per se. When we (hopefully) have enough money we want to visit some other parts of Australia to see if there is anywhere else we would prefer. You always make Tassie sound so nice, I think we will definately have to have a holiday there and see for ourselves!! xx

Don't you worry Happy Bunny, I'm sure you'll have plenty of sun before too long & then you will be complaining it's too sunny! Actually we do get a lot of sun, I virtually need shades on indoors most days - I can understand why people keep their curtains pulled, but that's so boring - it's not yet like the Spanish heat where we'd be fried alive if we didn't pull the blinds!! I bet I'd notice if I went back to the UK now... But I wonder why they bother to have the Big Picture windows if they don't like the sun - then of course I remember - IT's THE VIEWs!!! Stunning! People always ask one here - Do you have a View? Everyone has a view in Tas, answers your typical local! Probably true, more or less... (Ours more - for a month more!)

Yes, it's early days for you 2, we only arrived at the end of May, but are settling well _ I'm too adaptable for my own good! - feel free to pm & I'll tell you all about Tassie.... and you might not feel quite so out on a limb - have you met many folk there yet?

Do you think any one's going to have the nerve to confess it was the Visa that makes them unhappy - Where's Aldo or Earls' when you need 'em!? Guess it's easier to blame it on OZZY rather than their own, ooops, ermmm, mistake, lack of research! Darn! :wacko: But we fessed up!

Guest HappyBunny

Thought you'd been here ages, you seem to know so much!! we haven't met many people yet. To be honest I'm not a social butterfly and would rather wait and see what happens if you know what I mean.

I'm sure there are lots of other people who have come over on the wrong visa or who don't like their job/sponsor and it can be difficult to turn things around. In hindsight we were lucky we made the decision to change our visa because we spoke to two different agents who were both pushing us for regional state sponsored, well either luck or gut instinct!!

Well Call it my Natural Curiosity, I suppose, but I have always wanted to know what's round that bend, and if I wanted to be sure I had to do it myself! Don't get me wrong I'm not a great Explorer or anything dangerous like that - oh no flushing toilets and inner-sprung mattresses for me... :SLEEP: (and I still won't get a full nights sleep!)

We were going to come out sight unseen - we'd made up our minds there was no going back BUT in the end I guess neither of us liked the idea of not really knowing what we were letting ourselves in for... We could listen to people Loving it Up for the place, and as you say some things strike a chord, and that's how it was with Tassie, but without seeing it with our own eyes! Which is what we did on a 2-week reccie; virtually going to every town, 2 coasts and driving on almost all the main roads, we saw what there was to see - a Potted Cook's Tour!... Prior to that I wasn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of coming out here, but there seemed to be no choices left in England for us, we couldn't go to Spain that I love - we can't cut the language for starters! - So had to throw our lot in here - and as I've said before, I seem to be amazingly adaptable... Hubbys home - time for supper! :jiggy:

Archived