Sorry yet again which school year!!

Guest Scared and excited V

Hi wondered if anyone knows what school year my daughters will go into in the oz new school year in Jan 09 please? The eldest has just gone into year 4 and will be 9 in November. The youngest has just gone into year 1 and will be 6 in March next year. Getting very confused. Also going to look round schools in few weeks over there and wondered if I should take anything like past reports and may be a letter from Head about them??? Thanks x

:jiggy:

Guest ponym110

Hi

hope the following helps but

The school year in Australia runs from late January to mid December.

Children in New South Wales may commence school in the year in which they turn 5 provided they turn 5 before the 31st July. If they turn 5 after 31st July they have to wait until the next January to commence. The first formal year of fulltime school is called Kindergarten, then follows Years 1 to 6 in the primary school. Years 7 to 12 are the secondary or high school years. Altogether there are 13 years of schooling.

However when deciding what is the appropriate placement for each child it is important to consider how many years of schooling they have already done and the standard of work they are achieving. For this reason it is very important that you bring with you in accompanied luggage samples of the most recent schoolwork of the children. This will enable the school principal of their new school to make an accurate judgement of what would be a suitable Year level for each child.

It really does depend which state they will be going to. In my experience principals prefer to put kids with their chronological peers regardless of how many years of schooling they have done elsewhere - the age peer thing is actually a wise way to go in most cases. Check here for a good summary.

Hi

Have a look here: Moving to Melbourne Questions and Answers

Where abouts are you heading? I would take the school reports and some of the work that your children have been doing before they leave.

Thats a really good idea. I hadn't thought about taking the work they have been doing. Thanks. We are going to Brisbane.

Do you think the youngest will have to start again in Kindergarten (reception) and eldest have to do yr 3 again. Nightmare!!! x

Good idea hadn't hthought abut taking some of the work they had been doing. Do you think the youngest will have to g ij to Kindergarten (reception again) and the eldest atart again in Yr3? nightmare!! x

Good idea hadn't hthought abut taking some of the work they had been doing. Do you think the youngest will have to g ij to Kindergarten (reception again) and the eldest atart again in Yr3? nightmare!! x

Shoudnt think so - most likely scenario is that they go into yrs 4 and 1 respectively in Jan/Feb which is where their age peers will be. It isnt "going back" it is joining the year that they should be in.

• 1 month later...
Guest treesea
Do you think the youngest will have to start again in Kindergarten (reception) and eldest have to do yr 3 again. Nightmare!!! x

I think from memory in England, primary is six years and secondary 7 years?

Australia is also 13 years of school, but the first year is called Preparation/Kindergarten/reception (the label varies from state to state) and then you have yrs 1 to 12.

If you are used to the English system, i.e. Nursery (i.e 3, turning 4), Reception (4 turning 5), then years 1 to 13, year 1 (English) equals Prep (Australia), year 2 (Eng), equals Year 1 (Aust.) etc.

Primary

• Kindergarten: 4-5 year olds

• Preparatory / Reception / Kindergarten (QLD, NSW,VIC and ACT): 5-6 year olds

• Year 1: 6-7 year olds

• Year 2: 7-8 year olds

• Year 3: 8-9 year olds

• Year 4: 9-10 year olds

• Year 5: 10-11 year olds

• Year 6: 11-12 year olds

• Year 7: 12-13 year olds (WA, SA, QLD)

Secondary

• Year 7: 12-13 year olds (ACT, NSW, TAS, and VIC,) Middle School NT

• Year 8: 13-14 year olds

• Year 9: 14-15 year olds

• Year 10: 15-16 year olds (high school NT)

• Year 11: 16-17 year olds

• Year 12: 17-18 year olds

Kindergarten in NSW and Prep in Victoria is equivalent to Yr 1 in England, i.e. the first year of school.

I suggest approaching which year from the point of view of where they would now be at if they had started their education in the Australian system.

For children born in March, they would normally still be 4 in the year they go into Prep (Yr 1 in England), so would have started school in the Australian system in January 2008, i.e., your daughter would still have started school in 2008, but 8 months earlier than in the English system. So I would suggest you enrol your younger child in Yr 1 (i.e. equivalent to Yr 2 in England) for the 2009 year. That way, she will "match" where she would be had she started in the Australian system.

For your eldest daughter, she would have turned five in Nov 2004, so would have started school in Australia in January 2005. So by the end of 2008 she would just be finishing Year 3 (i.e. =Yr 4 in England) (i.e. prep, Yr1 Yr2 Yr3) so should go into Yr 4 in 2009 (i.e. Yr 5 in the English system).

Even though approaching it this way would mean your children would have had an incomplete year of education for the year they are currently in, I wouldn't panic about that. Having children who have experienced primary schools in both countries, I would have to say that the Australian system is much more laid back than the British one.

Hi wondered if anyone knows what school year my daughters will go into in the oz new school year in Jan 09 please? The eldest has just gone into year 4 and will be 9 in November. The youngest has just gone into year 1 and will be 6 in March next year. Getting very confused. Also going to look round schools in few weeks over there and wondered if I should take anything like past reports and may be a letter from Head about them??? Thanks x

:jiggy:

Hi there,

As you can see from previous postings each state is different. I live in Brisbane area & my understanding is that they will go into Grade 4 and Grade 1 in Jan 09. Don't look upon this as a backward step, things are different here so it will consolidate any learning they have already done, and help them settle into the way things are done here.

Plus, they seem fairly flexible. My daughter (grade 2/year 2) recently had a south african girl start in her class. I dont know her birthday, but she did a week in grade 1 and they moved her up because she found the work too easy. Likewise, if your child is struggling, they will be held back.

I didnt show reports etc, just told the school where each of my 3 kids was academically along with details of their personality and they matched each child with a suitable teacher :smilexmas:

Good luck

Archived