Frankston Wins Best City in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Do you think the judges had too much to drink when they made the decision?!!!!:wacko:

Now dont get me wrong Frankston has a good variety of shops and has some nice parts including the view as you drive over Olivers Hill. However although it is not the worst City in Oz by any means I cant believe that Frankston is as good as it gets!! Infact I have been to far nicer Towns/Cities in Oz!! :yes:

Deb xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Umm I really don't know how they work these things out, Dandenong will be the most liveable place in the world next:elvis:

There are nice parts to Frankston, I love the beach front and like you say Deb there are some good shops. I suppose that when compared to some UK towns it could be classed as a super place to live, it's all down to personal preference.

Guest NicciNoo

We didn't mind Frankston, work is just outside Dandenong and the houses were reasonable..

Where would you say was exceptionaly nice for around 400pw rent and close to the beach with modern houses? We want to come over in February and had 2 days driving round looking but could not see the inner views like you guys have..

Most people who have lived in Frankston for many many years are very happy there and there are some lovely areas in Frankston. Its bad in the town late at night because of the pubs and clubs but so is Mornington, Berwick, and any otherllarge transit town/area where the young congregate. Frankston Council covers the areas of Seaford, Langwarrin Carrum Downs and parts of Baxter.

They are doing wonderful things for the environment in Frankston and they deserve the award, we need to take notice here on the Peninsula. Although Hastings has just won a prize too but that is not surprising as they have been winners of things in the past and Blue Scope Steel does a lot for the area.

Anyone interested in Frankston area have a look at the City of Frankston site, in fact all council sites have the most information I believe to assist people moving to the area.

Frankston Internet - Home

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hello Kitty
Do you think the judges had too much to drink when they made the decision?!!!!:wacko:

Now dont get me wrong Frankston has a good variety of shops and has some nice parts including the view as you drive over Olivers Hill. However although it is not the worst City in Oz by any means I cant believe that Frankston is as good as it gets!! Infact I have been to far nicer Towns/Cities in Oz!! :yes:

Deb xx

I agree. No offence to those that live in Frankston but a desirable suburb it is not. Maybe they are trying to get rid of its bad reputation by giving it this award.

Guest The Pom Queen
Wish I could afford to live in some parts of Frankston but I do not have a couple of million stashed away.

If I had millions I wouldn't be spending it in Frankston, if I wanted beachside it would be down Mornington or Bayside

Well it seems that people have a misguided view of Frankston according the following

"On September 2, 2004, Frankston was nominated for the Bursary Award in the Livcom - International Awards for Liveable Communities. In October 2004 it received a Bronze Award for "management of environment and enhancement of quality of life". It won this award for "C Category Cities" (cities with populations between 75,001 - 200,000).

On March 24, 2007, Frankston won two awards in Keep Australia Beautiful Victoria's (KABV) clean beach challenge. It won the award for "Friendliest Beach in Victoria", and also the "Natural Heritage Award" for the maintenance of - and providing of facilities at - Frankston Beach. On June 2, 2008, Frankston was named Victoria's most sustainable city in the Keep Australia Beautiful Victoria's (KABV) Sustainable Cities Awards[8]."

Guest Barry78

Is it really that bad? Whenever i have passed through there it has looked like quite a nice place. But then I didn't stop and turn the engine off i suppose!

Guest wendersinoz

Coming from Aberdeen, I lived in Frankston for about 6 months last year, and I really liked it. I heard all the stories about it not being nice, but I didn't find anything wrong with it - the beach was alot nicer and quieter than alot of places we went to! Maybe it's just because I've lived in Aberdeen all my life, but I can't wait to move back there next year (fingers crossed for my visa!):jiggy:

Coming from Aberdeen, I lived in Frankston for about 6 months last year, and I really liked it. I heard all the stories about it not being nice, but I didn't find anything wrong with it - the beach was alot nicer and quieter than alot of places we went to! Maybe it's just because I've lived in Aberdeen all my life, but I can't wait to move back there next year (fingers crossed for my visa!):jiggy:

I always panic a bit when I start reading about bad areas in Melbourne wondering if we might end up moving to the other side of the world and ending up living in a worse area than here and then I read a post like yours and it makes me see sense again.

We live in Glasgow and we don't live in the West End or anything like it!!! We live in a pretty rough area and I sometimes have to kick myself when I start thinking "Oh dear.... We better avoid Frankston then" in case it is worse than here. Although I am put off living there long term, when I read posts like yours I feel better that even some of the "bad areas" in Melbourne should be better than where we live now.

There is nothing wrong with Frankston, I do not live there but have friends who live there in a very nice area. My mother lived there for over 10 years and was very very happy there.

It all recently started on the Footy show and its gone from there and what happens on that show is not anything one should take to heart and run their life by.

I have been going to Frankston for over 30 years now and yes there are parts I would not want to live in but then there are parts of most places I would not want to live in, Mornington has its places I would not live in, Somerville has places I would not live and so it goes on. Usually these areas are quite apparent and once people go to work here they find out where its nice to live. After all we are all different and what floats ones boat does not do it for someone else.

If you live near the centre of the action and like a full on life you have everything that goes with it the positives and the negatives.

Guest The Pom Queen

Frankston has had it's reputation for years before the footy show even aired.

I admit driving through it is lovely down by the beach, however, it is the only place I haven't felt safe alone. I was recently shopping down there and had to wait for hubby to bring the car round and at 10am in the morning there were two guys arguing about drugs saying that someone had come round to his house last night with a shot gun and threatened to blow off his mates legs, another guy then came from no where and started attacking the guy with a glass bottle, this is the only place I have been and don't feel safe even so early in the morning. I would prefer to walk around Dandenong at midnight than walk around parts of Frankston in the daylight and as for the Pines Estate, well don't get me started.

I admit there are worse places in the UK and yes compared to some Frankston is probably 10 times better, I suppose it is what you are use to. I drove two familes around Somerville who had recently moved over and they thought the place was a dump with graffiti everywhere, but there are people who live there and enjoy it.

Everyone is different and what is a no no for some may be the best place on earth for others.

Please people don't take our words go and look around these places for yourself, and don't do a quick drive through and say yes or no, get out of the car, visit at different times of the day and night and get a real good feel for the place. Don't rely on what WE think, you may think Frankston is wonderful and I would be very happy for you. They have a great hairdresser there who I can highly recommend.

Sorry folks have to leave this thread as MTM has a problem with me every time I post so its not fair to people who are interested and want to make up their own minds about places.

It goes back to the first post I made about McMansions and Lyndhurst which is a suburb in the Dandenong area which is popular with people of the muslim faith as there is a mosque in South Dandenong and therefore its not a long journey for them to go to morning prayer from there.

:embarrassed:

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry folks have to leave this thread as MTM has a problem with me every time I post so its not fair to people who are interested and want to make up their own minds about places.

It goes back to the first post I made about McMansions and Lyndhurst which is a suburb in the Dandenong area which is popular with people of the muslim faith as there is a mosque in South Dandenong and therefore its not a long journey for them to go to morning prayer from there.

:embarrassed:

Sue

There is nothing personal about this and I cannot understand why you are getting so defensive, you don't live in Frankston!!!! I have advised people to make their own minds up as I speak from my OWN personal experience.

Your first post to PIO was aimed at another PIO member which quite a few of us were upset by your post and it caused the member to leave the group and decide against Melbourne, I pm'd you in regards to this and I thought that was over a long time ago.

The new estates are in Lyndhurst and not Dandenong as you suggest. I am sorry if you thought my post was aimed at you, it wasn't it was expressing my own opinions on Frankston as stated in my first post on here:wubclub:

This sounds very much like a suburb that I know of in WA.

I work in Armadale in WA - there are some lovely parts to it and I know that there are exceptionally nice families living there because I visit them in my job - it's got wonderful amenities, exceptional shopping centre etc., but it's not an area that I would want to live in. That's just my opinion, it's not meant to be derogatory to people who do live there, it's just my opinion - I personally didn't see that Moving to Melbourne was trying to cause offence - and was just expressing an opinion which some people shared and some didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends if you want to live near the beach, and also the new freeway/tollway makes it more accessible to everywhere. Check out the Lakewood Estate in Frankston, it is just off the freeway and the view down from the top of the hill is lovely (water) and, as as has been said, so is the view across Oliver's Hill (yes pricey though). North Frankston is pretty ordinary. Frankston will go ahead if they redevelop the Marina (whenever that will be). Check out the cheap prices in Rosebud as well, right on the beach!

Nothing wrong with Frankston, no more than anywhere else.

Archived