citizenship

Guest driver_diver

Guest driver_diver

what is the difference between pr and citizenship if any? seems to be so many migration issues im lost with it all im afraid lol

Don't think theres many differences - i know as a citizen you can apply for an aussie passport & you have to vote or you get fined (my hubby has several fines for this !!!)

as a pr you get limited civil rights & remain a citizen of the country from which you emigrated, as a citizen of oz you have full civil rights under the Australian consitution of 1901,

hope this helps

stuju

As a citizen you have to vote, can sit on a jury and travel as you please. Whilst abroad you may contact Australian embassy for assistance etc.

If you are PR, then after your initial visa expires (5 years), if you travel outside Aus you have to apply for a resident return visa, if you fail to do so then you'll have your work cut out for you getting back into the country.

We're going to apply for citizenship when we're able, as we intend to stay here and I would like to be able to vote if this is the country in which I live and pay taxes.

Ali

Guest The Pom Queen

As a citizen you have the right to remain in the country indefinately without renewing your visa. As a citizen you can vote and apply for government jobs.

If you have permanent residency you can stay in Aus for as long as you like, but after your visa runs out (5 years) you cant leave adn come back without getting another visa, also you have limited rights, can't vote, can't have an aussy passport etc etc, you are a UK citizen living abroad , an expat.

If you get your citizenship, you get all the rights and responsibilities of being an Australian, you can (must) vote, have a passport, leave and come back as much as you like and with gaps of as long as you like. You also retain your british citizenship as well so can be a dual nationality citizen.

If you're planning on staying, its probably worth doing the citizenship as it simplifies things a lot, and if you are planning on staying wouldn't you want to fully belong ? (well I would anyway !! lol). But you do have to have been living in Aus for a certain period of time to qualify, you can't apply for citizenship straight away.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi DD

If you are a British Citizen you lose nothing by obtaining Aussie Citizenship as well because both countries are comfortable with dual Citizenship. My sister has both. So has Alan Collett of Go Matilda.

However if you are from a country such as Malaysia, which does not accept dual Citizenship with anywhere else, then you have to think carefully because you would have to renounce your Malaysian Citizenship - almost certainly forever - in order to obtain Aussie Citizenship instead.

But where dual Citizenship is possible then the best thing you could ever do for your children would be to get both in my view.

Best wishes

Gill

I have been told that when i get my spouse pr i do not have to apply for citizenship if i do not want to, and that i will be able to come & go as & when i please, i was not aware that a pr only lasts for xxxx amount of years.

I have a friend who has been here on a pr from uk for 10 years & only just decided to go for her pr & also know of some 10 pound poms that come & go as they please and have not applied for citizenship, (hubby has dual passports)

stuju

Guest Gollywobbler
I have been told that when i get my spouse pr i do not have to apply for citizenship if i do not want to, and that i will be able to come & go as & when i please, i was not aware that a pr only lasts for xxxx amount of years.

I have a friend who has been here on a pr from uk for 10 years & only just decided to go for her pr & also know of some 10 pound poms that come & go as they please and have not applied for citizenship, (hubby has dual passports)

stuju

Hi Julie

There is no compulsion whatsoever to apply for Citizenship. However the travel element of a PR visa is only valid for 5 years from the date of the grant of the visa. Once that period is up, a Resident Return Visa is required if you want to be able to travel freely to and from Australia:

Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)

We have some Malaysian friends who have lived in Oz for donkey's years. They specifically don't want Australian Citizenship because they would have to renounce their Malaysian Citizenship in order to get it.

So instead they ensure that they spend enough time in Oz to be sure of getting their next RRVs without any hassle.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Julie

There is no compulsion whatsoever to apply for Citizenship. However the travel element of a PR visa is only valid for 5 years from the date of the grant of the visa. Once that period is up, a Resident Return Visa is required if you want to be able to travel freely to and from Australia:

Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)

We have some Malaysian friends who have lived in Oz for donkey's years. They specifically don't want Australian Citizenship because they would have to renounce their Malaysian Citizenship in order to get it.

So instead they ensure that they spend enough time in Oz to be sure of getting their next RRVs without any hassle.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

like a lot of people we have paid into the UK state pension for many years. I understand that we are still entitled to claim the UK state pension that we have contributed to when we reach pension age. Does this change if you take up Australian citizenship?

Also would you tell me what is the difference between a 136 and a 175 visa?

Cheers

The oldgit.

Guest earlswood
Hi Gill,

like a lot of people we have paid into the UK state pension for many years. I understand that we are still entitled to claim the UK state pension that we have contributed to when we reach pension age. Does this change if you take up Australian citizenship?

Cheers

The oldgit.

Yes, but it will be frozen at your first payment and never increase.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Two interesting subjects.

Out of interest, how does someone who is pr but not a citizen get an australian passport as i believe you have to be a citizen to apply for one.

As for the UK pension, to qualify for one under the DWP rules I thought you had to achieve a target number of paid years, something like 36 out of 40 or something like that.

If you are in Oz, are you paying into the UK system in order to get a UK pension please?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Cheers

The oldgit.

Hi oldgit

The 136 visa was discontinued for new applicants with effect from 31st August 2007. The new 175 visa replaced it the next day.

Yes, when you reach State Pension age in the UK you will be able to claim whatever reduced amount is possible depending on the number of years that you have paid in to the system for. However it will only be the basic amount at the time when you can claim and you will not receive the annual increments.

That said, since you have a 136 visa that was granted in 2007, you can't be older than 45 or 46 now? Once you have lived in Oz for long enough (a minimum of 10 years but you won't be old enough for 20 years) you will also be entitled to the Australian Age Pension:

Age Pension

It is a condition of the Age Pension that you first claim any pension entitlement in your country of origin.

Citizenship makes no difference to any of this.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest windsor

I have Citizenship because my Mum is an Aussie and applied. I therefore have permenant residency and sponsored my hubby and our son and get they get PR. Hope this helps

I understand that you can practise online but can't find the website - does anyone know it please? :huh:

I have heard conflicting stories about whether you have to pay for the test. I've been told you can take the actual test several times and only pay for the certificate etcand someone else said that you have to pay for the test?

Thanks

Itsme

Archived