HOW DID YOU DECIDE

jamie

HI ,TRYING TO DECIDE WEATHER A MOVE TO OZ IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME IS PROVING A BIG HEADACHE AT THE MOMENT ,I HAVE VISITED THERE SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE EVEN DRIVEN ALL THE WAY AROUND AND DOWN THE MIDDLE (35,000KMS IN TOTAL).I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE CONTRY AND JUST NEED TO MAKE THE JUMP BUT SOMTHING HOLDS ME BACK.

I WAS WANDERING HOW YOU ALL CAME TO DECIDE IT WAS THE .

RIGHT MOVE AS IT SEEMS AFTER READING A LOT OF THE POSTS THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE EVEN VISITED AUSTRALIA LET ALONE MOVE THERE.

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS COULD PROVE HELPFULL.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

hiya jamie ,i myself have never been to oz but my partner spent about 6mths out there ,before we met (we av been together 17 yrs).we now have 2 children ,and want a better way of life .i read oz were recruting in the natinol paper around april time and we decided to go for it .what will my kids have here in england 20 years from now???, probably an out of control crime rate ,no savings ,no jobs ,huge tax bills ,and over the top prices on any nescesity. need i go on ,we may as well move to oz ,work hard and play hard ,BUT IN THE SUN ,,,,XXCAL

Guest samlee

Hi Jamie,

I have been with my husband for 9 years. We have no children yet and no major commitments in England other than our family. We went to OZ for 7 months on a working holiday visa about 7 years ago we had a fab time but getting work on the visa we had was very hard. We came home to Dorset after 4 months of living in a tent!! and started from scratch again! We are now at the time we havent been able to get on the housing market here in Dorset as its sooo expensive and have no children (yet).

We are at the stage that we want to do something with our lives for us. We both have good jobs i'm Head Chef and he's IT Network Engineer but its hard work and stressful! I applied for skilled independant visa and am just waiting now for the final decision :lol: Fingers Crossed! I applied because its a great country and so much to do in your free time etc. It was a very hard decision because i'm very close to my Mum and 3 sisters but at least they wil get great holidays out of it! and with Web Cams etc its easier to stay in touch.

We are going to give it a year to see how we like it and go from there, if we don't get on we can always come home!

Its still scary though! (Hope I haven't gabbled on too much!)

Good Luck Sam 8) 8)

Guest samlee

Hi Jamie,

I have been with my husband for 9 years. We have no children yet and no major commitments in England other than our family. We went to OZ for 7 months on a working holiday visa about 7 years ago we had a fab time but getting work on the visa we had was very hard. We came home to Dorset after 4 months of living in a tent!! and started from scratch again! We are now at the time we havent been able to get on the housing market here in Dorset as its sooo expensive and have no children (yet).

We are at the stage that we want to do something with our lives for us. We both have good jobs i'm Head Chef and he's IT Network Engineer but its hard work and stressful! I applied for skilled independant visa and am just waiting now for the final decision :lol: Fingers Crossed! I applied because its a great country and so much to do in your free time etc. It was a very hard decision because i'm very close to my Mum and 3 sisters but at least they wil get great holidays out of it! and with Web Cams etc its easier to stay in touch.

We are going to give it a year to see how we like it and go from there, if we don't get on we can always come home!

Its still scary though! (Hope I haven't gabbled on too much!)

Good Luck Sam 8) 8)

thanks for your thoughts ,i know how you feel sam as i have also spent a year in oz and it is a great xperience,and a feeling you cant seem to shake,but i just think there is alot of people who think travelling halfway across the world to solve social issues have got it wrong, it is a very diff way of life and you can end up taking your probs wiyh you as they dont just vanish when you jump on that plane.life is what you make it reguardless of country.

My wife and i live for camping ,hiking surfing & wildlife and are very adapted to it as we have been doing it all our lives,I just hope people think it through properly,sorry to bang on ,i must sound a right bore but i have had a bad day at work,again!!!!!. I will reply later when im in a better mood and a 100 times more possitive but it is good to get it of your chest,SORRY,

JA. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest mandymoo

Hi Jamie,

We visted Oz for a month in February, and my husband fell in love with the place. The laid back lifestyle and of course the climate!! Don't get me wrong, I loved the place as well, but always felt that my family and friends were far more important. The more and more I thought about, the more and more I thought that I didn't really like where this country was going. We have a 2 year old daughter, and just feel that the up bringing for her will be far better out there than what it is here. I'll never forget walking down my high street, the first day back from Oz - dull, grey and cold thinking what the hell have we come home to!!!! At the end of the day, no matter how hard it will be to leave here, if it doesn't work out, the UK will always be my home, and we can always come back. Friends and family will always be there for you, whatever you decide to do. I just feel if I don't go for it, I will never know. Life's too short!!!

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on!!!!

Amanda

Hi Samlee

your situation sounds so similar to ours. I am so close to my family (2 sisters) and will miss them and my nephews so much, but know that it's got to be worth a go. We have decided to give it at least 2 years as personally I don't think 1 year is enough, it may take that long to feel settled and to find your feet a bit. Good luck with your application, when do you find out?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bob and ginnie

I think what JC has mentioned is a very valid point . . . . one year not being long enough.

I've known some new Pommies coming out to Australia, and struggled in the first year emotionally, socially, especially the women, as their network of family and friends has disappeared and it just takes time to build up another network of mates.

Very often, at the end of their first 12 months, they are struggling. Given the choice, they would probably decide to chuck it in and go back home to family and friends.

After 24 months, however, it's a different story. Their circle of friends and associates has grown, they go out socially with others, their kids have settled at their school/s and the family have grown to like their new home and area they live in.

It's your choice of course. . . . . but a 12 month timespan may not be giving you enough time to settle in to life 'Doen Under'.

• 2 weeks later...

hi jamie,

just read your question and wondered if you had made up your mind yet.

My husband,me and our 2 children are just waiting for our visas to go to melbourne and we have never even visited australia. A lot of people we know think we are crazy and a lot think we are very brave and quite a few are envious that we have the opportunity that they don't.

We have some friends in melbourne who say that it was the best move they ever made and they wish they had done it 10 years earlier which is one of the reasons that we decided we would have a go.

We don't expect it to be easy and we know we will have to work hard both physically and emotionally but when we think of our childrens future that is what drives us on.

Hope you make your mind up and good luck

karen,pete and family

x

Hi there we fall into the category of never visiting OZ before arriving here to live. However we had lived in Belgium for 3 years before this move and hadn't visited there before either :shock: . I wasn't happy in Belgium but I didn't want to go back to the UK either so when we were looking for where we wanted to go we looked at what it was about Belgium that wasn't right. We enjoyed the less materialistic attitude, the more laid back lifestyle and the freedom to be together as a family without the constant social and money pressures of the UK. My parents live in the US and while I enjoy a visit I couldn't live there with the kids as after a few weeks there they are different children and it is always I want, I want :evil: .

What we couldn't deal with in Belgium was mainly due to the language, it would have been difficult for me to find a job or to integrate fully into the community. The beaurocracy there is an utter nightmare and the weather can also be pretty depressing.

We looked at Canada, New Zealand and Australia but have never visited any (Ian had been to Canada several times with work though). It wasn't possible for Ian to find work in NZ and the extreme weather in Canada was off putting although it had a plus of being close to family. When this job came up in Australia we had already had several knockbacks and we don't have enough points unless we are sponsored so we decided to go for it. I can work here once I have the time and the kids are at school, family are further away but they didn't visit in Belgium so there is no difference there and we are in the ideal position of not having to live in the city. This is a permanent move for us and although it will be hard every move be it in the UK or not is difficult with you having to make new friends locally, but it comes in time. If you are positive and willing to make that extra bit of effort I have found people here very welcoming and I have every confidence that we will stay.

I will miss people in the UK but not the place itself and with the internet they aren't so far away.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I think that honesty is the best tool that you can have in helping you settle. Be honest with yourself and others about your motives for making the move and your hopes and fears and then the problems do not build up.

Good luck to all making the decision it is a stressful time but we feel that it is worth every second of it.

Nicky

• 6 years later...

My partner really wants to move to aus and thinks it will be a better quality of life but i feel like its only the weather which would be different for me, but im just going to go with it, whats the worst that can happen.. that i move back. nothing ventured nothing gained.

Archived