Family Sponsor - 176 Visa

nickynush

Hi

We are looking to apply for a 176 visa as we only have 115 points. OH occupation is on SA and VIC list for permanent sponsorship but I was wondering if my brother in law (OH Brother) could sponsor us instead, giving us the option of living anywhere in oz. He first went to Sydney in 1998 and married his australian partner the same year. They came to England in 2003 and stayed here for 4 years. He returned to Australia with is family in June 2007 and intends to stay there permanently now. He is working but does not own his own house - he is living with his in laws in Sydney. My question is that given he has been back less than 2 years and that he lives with his in laws could he sponsor us for a 176 or would he be considered unable to offer the support a sponsor has to offer?

Thanks

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

not sure about all your questions but we are being sponsored by my sister as we had only 115 points. I think you will find that you have to live in the state that your sponsor lives and their finicial sopport is less than it used to be. He must be a citizen though. I'd have a chat with an agent to check out all the fact.

Shell xx

Guest chris_mac
Hi

We are looking to apply for a 176 visa as we only have 115 points. OH occupation is on SA and VIC list for permanent sponsorship but I was wondering if my brother in law (OH Brother) could sponsor us instead, giving us the option of living anywhere in oz. He first went to Sydney in 1998 and married his australian partner the same year. They came to England in 2003 and stayed here for 4 years. He returned to Australia with is family in June 2007 and intends to stay there permanently now. He is working but does not own his own house - he is living with his in laws in Sydney. My question is that given he has been back less than 2 years and that he lives with his in laws could he sponsor us for a 176 or would he be considered unable to offer the support a sponsor has to offer?

Thanks

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

Depending on your OH skill or trade will determine which state you can go. For example, Electricians are highly in demand in all states so you can go to any state regardless of you relatives address. You would have to check with each state to see if his skill is required. Citizenship is not required, just PR.

My Brother is my sponsor in sydney yet we are going to Brisbane. Hope this helps..

Good luck

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Police Checks done.. 18.08.08

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Hang on, please, because this thread is getting a little muddled.

Nicky - with a family sponsored subclass 176 visa, it does not matter whereabouts in Oz your sponsor lives, and as you say the family-sponsored 176 does not restrict you about where in Oz you can live either.

The Sponsor undertakes that if you fall on hard times during your first two years in Oz, he will see to it that you are provided with adequate food, clothing, shelter and enough cash to get by on so that you cannot become eligible for Special Benefit:

Special Benefit

They would look into how much bro in law earns, what his other commitments are etc, I expect. My guess is that it would be OK in the end but it would likely be protracted and a bit nerve racking.

How about this as a solution instead?

Get Vic sponsorship so that you know a 176 would be definite. I'd choose Vic because it is the smallest of NSW, Vic and SA and it feels more logical to me than SA sponsorship given that OH has family in Sydney.

Apply for a 176 visa with Vic sponsorship. Then do IELTS or secure a job offer - and the employer could be in any State.

The job offer would give you 125 points. IELTs would give you 125 altogether. DIAC would consider you for the 175 and the 176 because both are in Class VE so you could let DIAC know you would prefer a 175, qualify for it etc, and a 175 would be granted because it is the 'higher' visa and you would have the points for it.

That is how I would tackle your conundrum if I were in your shoes.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Gill

I agree it would be nerve racking going for our family sponsor as I think when they look into his circumstances there may be some concerns about his ability to support us financially, if needed. That's why I asked the question really.

We're thinking of Melbourne anyway but now and again we look at Brisbane. I think we're about a year away from going and will probably change our minds again!!! I'd like to keep our options open as much as possible but accept that not all routes will be open to us. I think we'll apply to Vic and consider IELTS but OH is Brummie through and through so don't fancy his chances much!!!!! People have more trouble understanding him than non english speakers sometimes!!!

Thanks anyway

Nicky

Guest chris_mac
Hi All

Hang on, please, because this thread is getting a little muddled.

Nicky - with a family sponsored subclass 176 visa, it does not matter whereabouts in Oz your sponsor lives, and as you say the family-sponsored 176 does not restrict you about where in Oz you can live either.

The Sponsor undertakes that if you fall on hard times during your first two years in Oz, he will see to it that you are provided with adequate food, clothing, shelter and enough cash to get by on so that you cannot become eligible for Special Benefit:

Special Benefit

They would look into how much bro in law earns, what his other commitments are etc, I expect. My guess is that it would be OK in the end but it would likely be protracted and a bit nerve racking.

How about this as a solution instead?

Get Vic sponsorship so that you know a 176 would be definite. I'd choose Vic because it is the smallest of NSW, Vic and SA and it feels more logical to me than SA sponsorship given that OH has family in Sydney.

Apply for a 176 visa with Vic sponsorship. Then do IELTS or secure a job offer - and the employer could be in any State.

The job offer would give you 125 points. IELTs would give you 125 altogether. DIAC would consider you for the 175 and the 176 because both are in Class VE so you could let DIAC know you would prefer a 175, qualify for it etc, and a 175 would be granted because it is the 'higher' visa and you would have the points for it.

That is how I would tackle your conundrum if I were in your shoes.

Best wishes

Gill

Yeah! Thats what i meant to say Gill! ;-)

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nicky

I think we'll apply to Vic and consider IELTS but OH is Brummie through and through so don't fancy his chances much!!!!! People have more trouble understanding him than non english speakers sometimes!!!

He only has to speak aloud for 60 seconds. You can soon teach him to copy Kenneth Williams. Speak slowly and clearly - job done!

Here is a description from Shirley Of AMA, Migration Agents in Manchester. Please just scroll down to the section:

News - Australia Migration Associates Ltd

Best wishes

Gill

• 1 year later...
Guest joireland

does the sponsor have to be a citizen? Im hoping for my brother to sponsor me, he has been a permenant resident nearly 4 years now.

many thanks

Guest guest17301

now I'm worried. We've applied to sponsor my aunt as eligible sponsors nowhere did I see a minimum time resident in Australia? We've been here for 15 months.

Archived