Help!!!!!!! Teen in Melbourne

Guest rainbeau

Guest rainbeau

Hey everyone.

Need help advice and just to tell someone about my story realy, am posting on all forums xx

My OH and son left the uk two weeks ago for Melbourne, I have stayed behind to sell/rent the house.

Son was well up for the move, OH is on 457 visa.

They are in temp accomadation right now but have secured rental in Doncaster East.

We assumed son could continue the bricklaying training he has done in uk in oz,

I am trying to help sort this out from uk but realy wish I had looked into it before we left, I now feel we have done things completely wrong and made a huge mistake.

Son is miserable, oh out at work all day and he doesnt know anyone, he needs to get out and get work asap.

Any brickies/builders on here?? anyone with advice re apprenticeships or with teens in Melbourne?

I have never felt so bad, and am doing my best to get there asap and have forgotten selling the house and will rent it out asap.

xxx

I feel for your son as its hard being a teenager but being on his own all day would be hard.

I know how hard it is my neighbour is Filipino and her sister moved here with teenagers and her son found it very hard too.

Time is the healer. Is your son confident enough to go to one of the employment places Centrelink has help for people. Also he would go to TAFE (Technical and Further Education) some days of the week while training for his trade.

Your husband could put an ad in the local papers, the local papers are often places where apprenticeships are available. Next term which starts at the schools next week is the last one of the year and a lot of employees start advertising for apprenticeships now. The ad below appears on the My Career web site. Not close to you but only one on that site at the moment.

APPRENTICE BRICKLAYER

• CAREER OPPORTUNITY
  • CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY
  • ESSENDON AREA

Are you looking at a career in the Building & Construction Industry? We have an excellent position available for a first year apprentice in Bricklaying working in the Essendon area.

This position offers a great career pathway with both on the job and off the job (TAFE) training provided. Award wages apply and you will qualify for Government Bonuses (Tools for Your Trade etc), allocated to Skills Shortage Trades.

You will be required to work under supervision and at times autonomously alongside a team of tradespeople and apprentices. This full time position is an Immediate start, working on a variety of projects.

A current Victorian drivers licence would be an advantage but not essential. All applicants will be subject to pre employment application and apptitude assessment process prior to employment.

Please forward your resume to infor@ssgt.com.au or fax to 9583 4280

icon_emailapp2.gifApply now:huh:

Suite 2, 12 Jamieson Street

Cheltenham, VIC, 3192

Phone: 03 9583 9444

Fax: 03 9583 4280

To be eligible to apply for this position you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa.

Good luck, look on My Career, Seek and there are other ones which deal with trades.

Guest rainbeau

Thanks for your help will pass these ideas on, sadly all he wants to do right now is come home.It is an awful situation I am just hoping that somthing will come along soon, I think just a couple of contacts could realy improve his outlook.xxxxxxxxxx

Oh dear - no it isnt a good time to have arrived as TAFE courses generally run by the semester and that started back in July so he will have to wait until Feb to get onto the next course - the job that Gill mentioned looks great so fingers crossed that could be the one for him.

Failing that, has he registered with any of the agencies for some temp work in ANY field? If he doesnt mind flipping burgers for a while there are always vacancies at Hungry Jacks, Maccas etc and we are coming up to the Christmas retail period so the big stores will be putting on retail casuals. I know it isnt bricklaying but it would get him out of the house - the agencies may be able to get him some labouring work (my son never has any trouble picking up casual labouring whenever he feels the need for work). Meanwhile he can keep on trying for an apprenticeship. I dont know if he is going to be disadvantaged by the visa you are on because it isnt a permanent visa but that is something he may be able to negotiate.

Unfortunately the only way is for him to get out there and knock on doors basically.

Archived