Another schools question

Guest the_zings

Guest the_zings

I have to apply to enrol my little boy into school next autumn (2009). However, we are not moving back to UK till February 2010. How is this going to affect being offered a school place as we won't have a UK address? I know roughly what area we will be living in and which schools I will apply to but worried about not having an address. Has anyone been in a similar situation??

All I can suggest is that you contact the school directly, they will usually have an email address. Otherwise see if this site helps Department for Children, Schools and Families : School Admissions

I guess it depends how popular your chosen school is and if you are in the catchment area. I have registered my youngest but obviously as we are renting out our home we still have a UK address. Are you having your post forwarded? Could you not use your previous UK address if you are having mail forwarded, maybe not ethical??! But hey if it works!

Michelle

We were in a similar position when we moved back to UK after spending several years in Ireland. The only difference being that we were moving during the summer holiday and just at a time when our son was moving from infant to junior school (year 2 to 3).

But, it was no problem. We contacted the school directly and they had space for him s it was organised very quickly. Less easy to make sure we had the correct uniform etc, but we managed.

Have a chat with the head. They are generally vary approachable in my experience (as a parent anyway!)

Hope it goes well. If I can be any more help, then PM me.

Guest the_zings

He's not due to start till Sept 2010 and we will be back Feb 2010 so that's not the issue. I'm worried that because we don't have an address then we may not be able to "qualify" for the school we want him to go to as they will not be able to determine if we are in the catchment area until after Feb 2010 - 3 months after we have to apply to enrol him.

Archived