3 months in as a Melbourne student

jimbobandrachel

Hi all

Been here with Rachel since 10th June and here is a brief update of whats been going on.

We secured a rental in Sanctuary Lakes by offering to pay 6 months up front. Nice place/area but its too far from the city. The commuting doesn't bother us, it's how dangerous the trains are after dark, and that is from a very violent experience we had 3 weeks ago.

College is good although 4 days a week for 2 years (bricklaying) is a bit much! I wish I could fast forward 2 years and earn some dollars. Found work straight away labouring for a builder when I get time to do it.

Rachel struggled big time trying to get part time work as they all kept saying she was too over qualified for the Admin jobs on offer, so this was getting us down a bit. Rachel then decided to apply for full time jobs as an Analyst and eventually got a break through when Foxtel were happy to sponsor her. She started part time 3 weeks ago and she'll now go full time in the next day or so. Happy days. The only downside is we cannot at the moment take up the free Foxtel (the job lot with latest box) cos we are not allowed a satellite dish on our rental and we're not cable enabled.

As for life in Melbourne, we love it and think its the best city to be in for us. There is so much going on, All we need now is to find a rental nearer the city.

As for England, we don't miss the place one bit and will only go back for holidays. Just wish we'd made this move years ago.

Jim

Archived