What is a duplex?

THORPES

I believe a duplex is just a house with a downstairs and an upstairs....as a lot of property in australia is what we would call bungalows...I think thats right

Guest jogrant3232

Duplex can be a bungalow (may be like a semi), think it may be something to do with size of plot i am sure someone on here will give the correct meaning

Guest moving down under

A duplex is 2 residents on a single block of land. They can be bungalows or 2 stories. Basically it's like 2 single dwelling homes that are attached on one piece of land. They each have their own address, driveways, yard etc.....

Hope this helps.

Melissa

I go with the semi detatched. Around here that is what it is anyway. Usually a two storey house.

Most Australian houses (the older ones anyway) are single storey but for heavens sake, dont call them bungalows! A bungalow is a beach shack:biglaugh:

Guest BullcreekBob
Yeah, its a semi

Errr, well, it could be but it doesn't have to be.

A duplex is one of two residences on a single residential block. The residences may or may not be "joined up". They may be one storey houses or two storey or more. If they are joined up, then the term "common wall" is far more likely to be used than "semi". In WA, a duplex block more often than not just contains what you poms would call two bungalows.

A triplex is one of three residences on a single block.

It is unusual for a duplex (or triplex) to contained shared property like a driveway or bbq or pool. If there is shared property, it is more likely that they will be Strata Titled properties.

Guest YellowGecko

Semi-detached.

Although duplexes can be a bit more cosy than UK semi-attached houses, because when we moved into ours, we spent the best part of the first day, looking for the electric meter.

I am serious, we even looked in bushes and allsorts of weird places!!!

Phoned the electric company, to be informed that it's actually located in NEXT DOOR'S property!!! (well, on their land). Both houses' land is classed as one block of land.

Found that all a bit weird to start with...:goofy:

Archived