New friends wanted in Perth :) moving in Mid Oct

chinkyminx

Hi Everyone,

I'll be moving to Perth for a while from mid October, and was wondering if anyone is interested in meeting up? Just turned 23, from London and looking to make some new friends while im out there as I'll be travelling with my cousin who has already settled there. I dont really wanna be attached to her hip all the time and would much rather find my own friends.

Anybody out there looking for the same thing?

Serene xx

Hi ya,

Will be in the same boat as you! am due to start work in Perth around about mid Nov.

I am also going on my own (bit daunting!) but looking forward to it.

I am also from London and will be looking to try and make new friends from the minute I arrive.

Would love to hook up once out there, for a drink and a chat and see how your getting on.

Ian

Hiya Ian,

Thats great :) Will definately take you up on that offer! So are you moving there permenantly? Ive been trying to find a job out there before i go in a few weeks, but realised i cant do anything til i open an australian bank account and get myself a tax reference number- which i cant apply for til i get to Australia! So what kinda of work are you starting when you arrive over there?

It's definately daunting going on your own... i only have a couple of weeks til im going and havent even started thinking about what to pack etc. Scary but so excited at the same time! :) Im going to find it so weird to have a hot xmas this year... !

Guest pamzer03

Hi Guys! I'm going to Perth in Nov/Dec time and have lived there for 6 years so going back with my partner who is applying for his defacto visa. Let me know if you need someone to show you the sites. Perth is beautiful you will love it!

Hi Serene,

I will be going out to start work with Western Power, on a permanent basis, going originally on a sponsored visa for 4 years but hoping to apply for permanent residency once there.

I am a cable jointer by trade, working on all the electricity cable's and power lines, I am going out in the Faults section in Perth metro area, so if there is a power cut, it will probably be me out trying to fix it!

Spent a year in NSW, about 4 years ago, so luckily I already have a tax file number.

But will also need to set everything else up once in Perth.

Your right it is daunting, but will hopefully settle in quite quickly. How long are you going for?

With regards with what to pack, there is a saying for people going traveling it is;

Decide what you want to take, then halve it and you will still have too much!!!

Will definatly have to hook up once I am down there, will let you know when I get a date sorted.

Take care,

P.S. what part of London are you from?

Hi Pamzer,

Will definatly take you up on that offer, thanks. Have been to Perth before but only for a couple of weeks.

Would love to know where all the sights and attractions are

Thanks once again

Ian

Hi Guys! I'm going to Perth in Nov/Dec time and have lived there for 6 years so going back with my partner who is applying for his defacto visa. Let me know if you need someone to show you the sites. Perth is beautiful you will love it!

That'll be cool!! Will definately take up your offer :) Look forward to seeing you guys! xx

Hi Serene,

I will be going out to start work with Western Power, on a permanent basis, going originally on a sponsored visa for 4 years but hoping to apply for permanent residency once there.

I am a cable jointer by trade, working on all the electricity cable's and power lines, I am going out in the Faults section in Perth metro area, so if there is a power cut, it will probably be me out trying to fix it!

Spent a year in NSW, about 4 years ago, so luckily I already have a tax file number.

But will also need to set everything else up once in Perth.

Your right it is daunting, but will hopefully settle in quite quickly. How long are you going for?

With regards with what to pack, there is a saying for people going traveling it is;

Decide what you want to take, then halve it and you will still have too much!!!

Will definatly have to hook up once I am down there, will let you know when I get a date sorted.

Take care,

P.S. what part of London are you from?

Well my working visa is only valid for 12 months, and it will be perfect for me to work out there and get a taster of what its like over there and see if i like it :) Ill definately be staying there til at least mid January, and after that ill be holidaying in malaysia for a week or two before deciding whether to fly back to Oz or fly back to the UK. I know three months doesnt really seem much at the moment, but we'll see what happens. If i do decide i like it, ill just fly back to Oz, and finish the rest of my visa, and also make plans to permenantly move there or get whatever work i find to sponser me.

Im just going to 'go with the flow' on this one... and see where things take me!

Im from SE london, Kent side of things, well... boarder of kent and London, in Abbey Wood. Tho i do spend most of my time in central london... :P

well, if i ever do experience a power cut in Perth, ill be sure to think of you! haha :) Ive booked my flight today, and although not the date i was hoping for, and sooner than expected on the 6th October, which will give me less than 2 weeks to say my goodbyes... nervous, excited, sad, happy... *sigh* ... im sure everything will be fine... :P

do keep me posted on the happenings!

take care :)

Guest prettyinpink

I'm in Perth at the moment, been here for 2 weeks and just starting to find my feet. I'm always up for a meet up if you're interested. Feel free to PM me and good luck with the trip, Janette.

Guest dowrock32

Hi guys,

Just found this site and its great to find out that there are so many other people in the same boat as I was starting to get nervy.

I will also be moving to Perth on my own(well i will be bringing the dog along), I'm flying out on 27th October and will be hoping to make some new friends ASAP would be great to meet up for a chat and a few drinks.

Cheers

Colin

Guest prettyinpink

Hi dowrock, we are arranging a meetup for new arrivals to Perth (me being one lol) for mid nov. If you pm me, I will give you my mobile number so you can contact me when you get out here and we'll arrange something. Hope your move goes well with the move.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest angela sykes

hi ian i have been interviewed by western power last week at leeds expo i am now waitin for medical and reference checks,how soon after your interview did you hear anything? where will you be based over in WA and do u have any other information on the company? any information would be gladly received. leon

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I havent been on here much recently!

I went down to Perth in April this year, and an offer was made about 6 weeks afterwards (although had my medical in Perth and references were checked while I was down there too).

From what I know of Western Power, they are well short of skilled jointers and linesmen, and in the next few years they have a load of projects starting, hence the recruitment drive.

The offer and complete package is a very good one and I recently spoken to an ex- colleague, who went down in March and found the process very easy indeed.

There has also been a 26% pay increase put through in October, which is obviously very good in any language!!

Are you a jointer or Linesman? and where abouts are you working at the moment?

Hope all goes well mate and let us know if I can be of any assistance. (not writing this from home at the moment, so dont have all the facts and figures to hand!)

Cheers,

Ian

Archived