29 YO female thinking about moving to townsville, help...

Guest kimbeak

Hi, i'm 29 and single pom. I moved to Melbourne in June 2007 and while i really like Melbourne and have met a few good friends here, i am thinking with the weather and beach here etc, i may well really be at home. I love the beach lifestyle and the sunshine and was thinking about packing up and moving on to the queensland or the gold coast. But a bit worried about moving on my own, if there will be enough going on and how easy it will be to meet people etc. I have travelled australia and i remember townsville being quite nice, also noosa and portland just after some advise really if anyone out there has moved out there on their own and how easy/difficult they found settling in. Any advice welcome.

thanks

kim

Hi.

I only really know families who have settled on the Gold Coast but I can say that I am sure you will have no problems settling in there. The weather is warm in winter and hot in the summer. Beaches are perfect and there is tonnes of nightlife as well as daylife! Depending on how outgoing you, are if you put yourself out there you will meet loads of friendly people. Both Aussies and poms in similar situations as you.

Good luck,

Kate

Hi Kim.

I think as a single young person looking to move to Qld the Gold coast sounds like the best option...its lively and has night life open after 9 oclock :twitcy:

I would say research research research right enough....Is it just the weather in melbourne that is your reason for Leaving? If so then Qld will be great for you but if it is for other reasons you may find that they are in Qld too.

Goodluck.

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Yeah i won't be able to move until i've got my PR which prob won't be for another 3 months or so. The main reason it the weather and the beach lifestyle, that's the reason i moved here for something completely different and although i really do like melbourne, the beach isn't too great, i can only afford at best a 1 bed flat unless i move far out which i don't want to do and for 3 or 4 months of the year it's freezing here. Don't get me wrong i've made some good mates here and also i love the melbourne cafe culture and food and shopping etc so it's a big decision as i know there isn't as much variety up in queensland so i would have to think long and hard about sacrificing all that, but at the end of the day if i don't like it i could always come back to melbourne. I'm just a bit worried if it's just full or families etc.

Hi Kim.

I think as a single young person looking to move to Qld the Gold coast sounds like the best option...its lively and has night life open after 9 oclock :twitcy:

I would say research research research right enough....Is it just the weather in melbourne that is your reason for Leaving? If so then Qld will be great for you but if it is for other reasons you may find that they are in Qld too.

Goodluck.

Guest mollyflanders

hi there, I am sure you will settle and like queensland, the gold coast is certainly lively enough, I go now and again with my daughter and family. We live in middlepark in western suburbs i love it here, Being young you should have no problem making friends.

I dont think you will have any problems on the gold coast...most families wouldn't want to be in the heart of surfers I dont think.

Nightlife is lively,Im sure you could find a house share near the beach with people your own age....and you do get lovely weather..Goodluck.

Guest BullcreekBob
Hi, i'm 29 and single pom. I moved to Melbourne in June 2007 and while i really like Melbourne and have met a few good friends here, i am thinking with the weather and beach here etc, i may well really be at home. I love the beach lifestyle and the sunshine and was thinking about packing up and moving on to the queensland or the gold coast. But a bit worried about moving on my own, if there will be enough going on and how easy it will be to meet people etc. I have travelled australia and i remember townsville being quite nice, also noosa and portland just after some advise really if anyone out there has moved out there on their own and how easy/difficult they found settling in. Any advice welcome.

thanks

kim

Errr, Townsville is not on the Gold Coast so I'm not sure what the other replies were about.

Townsville has a nice climate alright but (in my opinion) it's not a nice place to live unless you like squaddies. I guess that does mean lots of single men so if you're looking to change your own single status, it might be a great place to do it.

If you don't mind the humidity and you want to live in FNQ, have you thought of Cairns? or in the Atherton Tablelands? Now those must be some of the most amazingly beautiful parts of what is really a pretty beautiful state.

HI

I will be arriving in Townsville on 3rd Oct, on my own. My new employer and landlandy, and colleague up there all seem very very friendly so I am sure I will have no problem settling in there. It looks like a lovely place, everyone I speak to who lives there thinks its great.

Been to Cairns and its more touristy so I wouldn't live there.

Townsville seems to have what I want! No winters, just wet n dry. Beautiful area, reef, rainforest etc etc.

My boss recently told me he wears shorts most days, and has counted the number of days in the last year he has felt "cold" enough to wear full length trousers....... 21 days! not bad hey!

I too felt cold when I was in Melbourne!

Archived