3 weeks to go

Guest Rbecca

I am counting the days and there are only 21 left before I leave. Unfortunately there are about a million and 21 niggly jobs to be done before I go, never mind the basic big jobs to be completed.

The house is not sold so I need to arrange for power of attorney for my sister to start with. I'm worried about not being able to get a phone or internet connection because I don't have a job (or anywhere to live come to think of it) and because I'm on my own I am really keen to have a handy means of communication with family and friends at home. I am in the process of itemising things I am packing up and that is a nightmare, I'm trying to sort out opening a bank account in Australia so that it is ready for when I get there and I have to exchange my savings (about £6,000) for AUD but I dont know whether to use a company like HIFX or just use my bank. What if I can't find a job? What if I never find any friends?

I'm not sure that these things are immensely big things or if I am making them into mountains because time is racing and I am beginning to panic.

Please tell me that other people are or have felt the same way at this stage. I beginning to lose sleep over the whole thing as you can probably tell as I am posting this in the middle of the night!

Rebecca

Hi,

Check with Gill (Gollywobbler) about power of attorney, we were thinking of doing this and Gill said that we didn't need to and things could still be conducted even if we were in Aus. This would save you some hard earned cash.

We opened an account with Westpac whilst still in the UK and called into the bank a couple of days after our arrival and our cards were waiting for us.

Where abouts are you heading? We've found people to be generous, helpful and genuine, with their time, advise and hospitality so don't worry about making friends.

It'll all come together

Ali

Hiya i think what your feeling is normal,i certainly felt that way before we left,there just wasnt enough time in the day and i seemed to be going round in circles but im here happy and have maed friends,the aussies are so helpful i dont think youll have any probs at all and if you do youve got us lot from poms spread around Oz so your sure to be not to far from one of us,,good luck youll get there

Cal x

Guest alliekate

Hi Rebecca - where are you going to ???

I'm sure you'll be fine - I get nervous just thinking about it, but what's the worst that can happen ??? Go and enjoy it !!!

Wishing you lots of luck xx

I am hoping to go north of Brisbane. The Sunshine Coast would be great but realistically I'm looking at somewhere between Mango Hills and Beerwah. I have been on the internet looking for somewhere to rent but its hard to get a real picture of what and where the places are. I'm staying with my aunt out in the bush (very worried about the snakes now congregating in peoples homes looking for food and water) for a couple of days (or minutes - see 'snakes' above) and then off to the cousins in Caloundra until I can sort out a place to stay. I am in the process of making a badge saying 'I'm new here. Please talk to me.' Will that work do you think?

Archived