Melbourne is brilliant

Guest *KAY TEE*

Guest *KAY TEE*

Come on Guys give us some incentive here.

Everytime I scroll down the page to the VICTORIA section all I seem to see is the MELBOURNE IS A DUMP THREAD. There has got to be some good things happening there, I heard so many good things about the place but have never read them.

Iv heard theres a water park opening soon, and what about Luna Park is that any good. The Captain Cook house, yes Captain Cooks house was transported bit by bit to Melbourne from the UK. Are there any good beaches shopping malls kiddies play parks....I need to beef up Melbourne to my 7 soon to be 8 year old son.

Do you live somewhere that you really love...please tell us about the good bits as well as the bad. I fully understand and agree we need the negatives as well as the positives, but come on balance it out a bit...pleeease xx :wubclub:

Guest *KAY TEE*

Everytime I scroll down the page to the VICTORIA section all I seem to see is the MELBOURNE IS A DUMP THREAD. There has got to be some good things happening there, I heard so many good things about the place but have never read them.

Iv heard theres a water park opening soon, and what about Luna Park is that any good. The Captain Cook house, yes Captain Cooks house was transported bit by bit to Melbourne from the UK. Are there any good beaches shopping malls kiddies play parks....I need to beef up Melbourne to my 7 soon to be 8 year old son.

Do you live somewhere that you really love...please tell us about the good bits as well as the bad. I fully understand and agree we need the negatives as well as the positives, but come on balance it out a bit...pleeease xx :wubclub:

Was it somthing I said...lol...:biglaugh:

Guest Angie*mark
Hi,

I've been offered a job in Wonthaggi - Gippsland.

Does anyone know/live in the area? Good/bad?

Cheers.

Steve.

Hi ask TACD he seems to know that area. He did tell me it's more country than rock n roll.

Angie xx

Guest *KAY TEE*
luna park is crap melbournes not that bad

OMG why is Luna park crap, I was really looking forward to taking the kids there. :shocked:

I thought it would be really good.

Guest *KAY TEE*
PS I lived in St Kilda a few years ago and think Melbourne is a great place!!!!!

Hi drWardle,

What did you think was great about Melbourne, Im trying to siffle as much info as I can from you good people :yes:

Guest THE JONEZYS

Those of us that live & are luvin it here just want to keep it all to our selves.

Let the " Melbourne is a dump" brigade whine on about how much they hate it, hopefully they will soon go and live some where much more perfect leaving more room for all of us that appreciate what a fantastic place we live!

Guest Steve&Mandy

I agree with you lesley and those who dont like it here get out so it gives me a chance to find a rental as they are all taken. I have bin here 2 weeks and so far it is just what we have imagined. The views across the bay from mornington, mount eliza are just stunning even when the sun isnt shining. I agree that the city may be a bit more busy but it is the business capital of vic. What i have seen so far is enough to make me want to stay here

steve

Guest cbr1100XX

I thought Melbourne was great. Good outdoor market and pubs that sell beer in PINTS and not these stupid schooner thingys.

Guest THE JONEZYS
I agree with you lesley and those who dont like it here get out so it gives me a chance to find a rental as they are all taken. I have bin here 2 weeks and so far it is just what we have imagined. The views across the bay from mornington, mount eliza are just stunning even when the sun isnt shining. I agree that the city may be a bit more busy but it is the business capital of vic. What i have seen so far is enough to make me want to stay here

steve

Glad your luvin it so far.

Has the rental got to be in Mt Eliza, you might have more chance in Mornington as there are more houses!

Lesley

Well we like it here too. Melbourne seems to get to you on a slow burn rather than a fast boil. I didn't instantly fall in love with the place as soon as I saw it, but I could see that it had potential and that we could make a life here.

We went out for a scout around last Sunday and we came across some smashin little places. One in particular stood out for me. Sorrento, on the top of the cliffs looking down over the bay. I couldn't drag myself away. I've never seen water so clear and blue. Families out, playing ball, cricket, picnicing, barbecuing, having fun. We've not been here very long, but we like what we've seen so far.

T xx

(Steve and Mandy - glad to hear you made it. Hope all is well.)

Guest itskaren
OMG why is Luna park crap, I was really looking forward to taking the kids there. :shocked:

I thought it would be really good.

I thought Luna Park was not the best 'theme park' I have been to although my kids enjoyed it (10 and 8). When I asked them if they wanted to go again a few months later they said no.

Some parts are nice!

Guest *KAY TEE*
Best city in Aus by far imho. Check this website for ideas for your 7 / 8 year old.

By the way Luna park is a bit disappointing, much better things in Melbourne than that.

Melbourne for Children | Kids - Entertainment - Only Melbourne

Hi thanks for this site, Iv just been on and book marked it. Loads of good stuff to do in Melbourne, especially "Adventure Park" right up our street. :jimlad: we're big kids at heart.

We visited Melbourne last year on a bit of a reccie (job wasn't right in the end) and we loved it. We thought the architecture was a bit like Manchester, cleaner than I remember M'cr being, and the trams made me think of there too. We had a family travel ticket for the five of us for $100 for a week - brilliant value.

We did the touristy things - aquarium, zoo etc and we all liked the immigration museum (we're not anoraks, really!).

I think we could've lived there very happily and when we visited it was, according to our friends who live there, the coldest, wettest winter they'd had for years. Imagine how we'd have felt if had been summer!

Even our 14 year old who doesn't really want to go back to Oz admitted that she really liked it!! :smile:

I think probably what everyone says is true..... there are some real negatives and some real positives. I've posted mostly negatives, but that was because I was giving a blow by blow account of our time here!! We started off in a bad area (of which there are several) but have slowly found some good things to say. As someone rightly said through time you find the good points of being here - mainly the fact that there is a diversity of things here such as sun, sand, rain, snow, surf, mountains, bush, etc, etc. The first few months are spent frantically running around the city getting things organised and it can really drag you down but once you get out and about you eventually find these things.

One thing though.... anyone who says they love Melbourne and then tell you they actually live in Mornington.... it's a bit like someone who lives in Portsmouth telling you London is great. Mornington is real nice but it's not Melbourne. Melbourne is a real city, with real city problems, whereas Mornington is a nice little town on the sea over an hour out of the city. If you are going to live in Melbourne (as we do) you will no doubt have a different experience to someone who is living in Mornington.

So, my advice is come and see for yourself. Need any advice feel free to PM!

It's true - we need to remember that strictly speaking, 'Melbourne' is the city and the rest of it is Victoria! Although we love 'Melbourne' we don't really love the city any more than we love any other city. We are country bumpkins really! There is lots to love about Victoria as a whole but which bits you love depends on the person and what you like/dislike about your current life. I remember seeing a thread where someone said they hated Mount Martha which I find scarcely credible, yet loads of people love Berwick which wasn't for us at all. Victoria is an area the size of the UK and just as diverse - something worth remembering when you see very negative (or positive) posts.

I remember being very surprised at Buck's first posts - what he was saying was so far removed from my experience of Melbourne/Victoria. Since then, I have spent more time in some other parts of the city/state (I won't mention where because I don't want to start anything else - it's personal preference only) and I can understand entirely what he was saying. I guess I owe you an apology Buck...glad you like Melton though, we spend a lot of time in that area because my sister lives there. Have you been to Daylesford? Lovely town.

Guest rossclan

Hi, been lurking for a few days and finally decided to speak! Myself (medical secretary) and OH (Plumber) are just considering applying to move to Melbourne as my sister has been a nurse there for 20 years. I was there about 10 years ago and loved it. My sister would never return to UK now. I am just worried about my kids settling, particularly the 15 year old daughter.

Can I just ask, a lot of you seem to put your house on the market before having visas, etc. Once you have passed the TRA, is it pretty certain you will get the visa or what? Sounds a bit scary to me at the moment.:wacko:

Archived