Re-located to perth i desperately need help on areas

Guest crystalrose

Guest crystalrose

Guys

I need your help and advice once again!!:unsure:

OH company are now basing him in Perth, after orginally he was to be based in Melbourne then at the 11th hour they decided Sydney would be better, as that is where they are HO is, after we explained there was no way we could live there on his salary and pay to educate three children as we are on a 457 Visa which was free in Victoria they have had a little re-think which I have to say will not be confirmed until next week and suggested Perth he flys out in a few weeks I will follow in November.

I carried out lots of research on Melbourne, with loads of help and support from everyone on this fantastic site, I had the perfect place to live with great schools near the beach and in within our tight budget even had the quote from the removal company for our possessions :arghh:

The problem is now I know nothing about Perth, the company are leaving it up to us where we live as OH will travel around with the job anyway. I am looking to live near a beach but I suppose excellent schools are definately at the top of the list I have an 11, 8, and 7 year old they would so love to be able to walk or cycle to school something that is virtually impossible where we live in England, and be near the beach. Please could you help and advise me on great areas for the children with excellent schools etc I have budgeted around $3-$400 PW OH salary is only $70,000 PA so I know things will be pretty tight. Actually my head is really starting to spin with all these changes that have been thrown at us I just so hope it will all be worth it :-)

I really do appreciate you taking the time to read my thread and in helping in anyway at all possible!!!!

How close to the beach ? Walking or driving ?

What else do you want near you ?

Do you need to be near the city or just go in sometimes ?

I replied to another post on here about area's in Perth which is probably worth you looking at too, with info about median house prices etc.

The one thing that strikes me though is $70K is not a huge salary in Perth - depending on which source you look at house prices can be higher than Sydney.

If you want to be close to the beach then Secret Harbour comes to mind - we were looking at that with only DH working (on $70K!) - it's a fair commute to the CBD, an hour I'd say so in the end we decided I'd work too and we'd live much closer (& therefore more expensive!)

Rent in SH is around $300 a week & $400-500K would buy you a lovely house. It is difficult to judge the schools as they are fairly new but the Comet Bay HS, has a Gifted and Talented programme which is a good sign.

We also looked further North at Brightons/Bultler (not so close to the beach but prob only a 5-10 min drive) but SH had a nicer community feel about it.

Good Luck

Jules

Guest crystalrose

Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies they are really appreciated!!!:jiggy:

OK here is the rather tall order, I would like to live near a beautiful beach, in a good area with excellent schools also possibly near transport into the city, as I may have to try and find a part-time job to help out as OH salary is going to be a bit of a struggle to live on. I do not mind how long it takes to get into the city as long as it not hours and hours. Do you have any wonderful areas in mind please???? oh the budget around $3-$400 PW. although not sure if we would find a 4 bed for this??

Truithfully I don't think you will get all that - it's exactly what we were looking for so I will be interested to read other replies to see if there is somewhere I've missed!!

I wouldn't have described the beach at Secret Harbour as beautiful & it has rips so not too great for safe family swimming (though I was told it is patroled and there is flags etc. - we went in winter so only the surfers were out) but if you're willing to travel 50-60 mins it does come pretty close to what you are looking for & you would definitely get a 4-bed for that - there is a train staion about 10 mins away and another due to open which will be closer. Depending on what kind of part-time work you'd be looking for Mandurah & Rockingham are both closer than Perth CBD and would have employment options.

Do bear in mind rent in Perth is cheaper than buying and what we are mindful of is renting somewhere we could eventually buy as we would not want to disrupt DS school again!

I'll be following this thread with interest!

Jules x

Guest SJS1984

Hi

I lived in Perth for 12 months last year as a nanny so have a good idea of childrens lives in the area. I am planning on returning to the same family next summer if I can get my visa sorted!! Fingers crossed :yes:

Anyway... we lived in Quinns Rocks which is just over the road from Brighton/Butler and I would say it is only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the beach. It was literally a few minutes from Quinns Rocks. A nice walk through the park to the gorgeous beach where the kids could swim (11yr old) and play (9yr old, non-swimmer afraid of the sea). Lovely water to paddle but calm enough to swim in and only a 10 minute drive to the most perfect beach i've ever seen which is at Mullalloo (has lifeguards there if you are worried about children, as well as two great playgrounds, picnic areas and cafe etc). There are private and public schools in the area and perfectly safe for kids to walk or cycle to and from school. Accessable train station at Clarkson (which also has schools, small shopping centre, supermarkets, etc) which goes to Perth CBD and also on to Mandurah now. Few minute train ride or 10 minute drive to Joondalup which has big shopping centre, university, bars and restaurants etc.

Oh and in regard to rent it was between $400-$450 p/w for our 5 bedroom 2.5 bathroom home with balcony (perfect view of sunset), double garage and back garden and entertainment area. There was 3 adults, a teenager and two children living there but plenty of space not to get under each others feet.

I'm obviously biased as I LOVED my time there but would highly recommend it. It really is living the dream there and I can't wait to get back!

Hope this has helped some. Please feel free to contact me if you want any more information etc.

Good luck with the move!

Sarah xx

Hi

I lived in Perth for 12 months last year as a nanny so have a good idea of childrens lives in the area. I am planning on returning to the same family next summer if I can get my visa sorted!! Fingers crossed :yes:

Anyway... we lived in Quinns Rocks which is just over the road from Brighton/Butler and I would say it is only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the beach. It was literally a few minutes from Quinns Rocks. A nice walk through the park to the gorgeous beach where the kids could swim (11yr old) and play (9yr old, non-swimmer afraid of the sea). Lovely water to paddle but calm enough to swim in and only a 10 minute drive to the most perfect beach i've ever seen which is at Mullalloo (has lifeguards there if you are worried about children, as well as two great playgrounds, picnic areas and cafe etc). There are private and public schools in the area and perfectly safe for kids to walk or cycle to and from school. Accessable train station at Clarkson (which also has schools, small shopping centre, supermarkets, etc) which goes to Perth CBD and also on to Mandurah now. Few minute train ride or 10 minute drive to Joondalup which has big shopping centre, university, bars and restaurants etc.

Oh and in regard to rent it was between $400-$450 p/w for our 5 bedroom 2.5 bathroom home with balcony (perfect view of sunset), double garage and back garden and entertainment area. There was 3 adults, a teenager and two children living there but plenty of space not to get under each others feet.

I'm obviously biased as I LOVED my time there but would highly recommend it. It really is living the dream there and I can't wait to get back!

Hope this has helped some. Please feel free to contact me if you want any more information etc.

Good luck with the move!

Sarah xx

Quinns to Mullalloo 10 minutes, hoon!:biglaugh:

Kalarroo Padbury Hillarys can get a rental for $400 and not far from beach plenty just look on realestate.com

mally

Guest guest17301

Try Baldivis near Secret Harbour apparently lovely area, v cheap rent, about $400 max for gorgeous new 4x2. Only drawback a 10 min drive to beach. Lots of local amenities.

We have a v similar wish list to you and have narrowed it down to the area mentioned above plus (also down south),Secret Harbour, Waikiki,Safety Bay, Port Kennedy (all about 35 mins on train to Perth) and closer to the coast. And in the north, Currambine, Connolly, Mullaloo, Woodvale and Quinns Rocks. (20-30 mins on train) all relatively close to the coast but from my research have found your rent money will go much further in the south. Looking at $375-$400 for something acceptable.

Guest crystalrose

Hi Guys

Thank you ALL so much for your help some great ideas on areas, Secret Harbour and Quinns Rocks seem to be two great areas and the primary school in Secret Harbour looks absolutely fantastic. I really cannot believe the life for children in OZ.

Good luck and I hope you get your Visa SJS 1984, sounds like you had a ball in Australia.

Jules 2409 when are you going out to OZ you never know as we both seem to be looking for the same thing we could end up neighbours that would be nice!!

Does anybody have any idea of the cost of before and after school care or if they have such facilities in schools in Australia I will need to work and with three children it would be interesting to find out in advance these costs.

Appreciate everyones help and comments thank god for this life saving site!!!!:v_SPIN:

Archived