New to site and New to the idea of moving to oz

Taz2008

My husband and I are considering moving to Australia. However, neither of us have been and the only information we have is by searching the internet.

At the moment we live in France and have done for the last 6 years. I have had my two little girls here in France. My eldest is fluent in French but the rest of us are still struggling with the language, which is very frustrating. Although we love our life in France, the work for my husband is slowly starting to dry up (he is a self employed plasterer working mainly for the English). He has an Australian freind who has talked us into thinking about moving to Oz. My husband would go tomorrow, as this has been one of his dreams, but I am more hesitant.

The biggest fear for me is the visa process and also where to live in Oz. The place is so big - how do you decide where is the best place to go to? And how long is the visa process? Where do we start first????:wacko:!

I would like somewhere where it has good schools for the children (4yrs and 6yrs), I would like a house with some land so I could have some ponies for the kids, and somewhere which has good work prospects for my husband. If we were able to obtain all these I think I maybe happy there.

If anyone has any information for us to make it easier, we would be happy to hear from you.:smile:

Hi and welcome to PIO,

Have a look at this site and you will get the necessary info you need to migrate to OZ....

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

As for which areas to live in this may be determined by if your Husband or yourself for that matter are on the skills list, you will get plenty of help from the friendly people on this site, so just ask away.

Au revoir:wubclub:

Guest Angie*mark

Hi and welcome, well you've come to the best site for all the answers to your questions. I was the same my OH mark had been to Oz before and it was his dream to move but i always said no, but after time and how crap everything became around us that i decided to look into the idea of moving to Oz and now i cant wait. I want to move tomorrow but unfortunatly we got a long wait like everyone else lol.

We just put a list down about all we would want when we move like education, job, area etc and went from there. take one area at a time we are looking at melbourne and found a lot about the area on here but we're still looking and thinking of brisbane too.

Sorry i couldnt of been more help but im sure you'll get a lot more helpful replies lol.

Good luck with it all

Angie xx

Hiya welcome to poms in oz ,you will pick up loads of infomation and help on this site,but be warned its addictive and theres no escape,lol.

As for where to live ,,i think only you can decide ,we all like differnt things and each love the area we live in.Have a look at job vacancies on sites such as www.seek.com plastering is done very differently over here so you may want to look into that.Property prices vary greatly from state to state so have a look on www.realestate.com this may give you a rough idea of which part of Oz to settle.

Good luck with everything ,im with you on the pony front ,we had to buy a house with land for that reason ,thankfully hubby agreed for an easy life!lol

Cal x

Thanks for your comments. I have found some of the websites you have already given to me and found them to be quite useful, although I am getting very confused!:arghh:

It is difficult to know where to start, and which forms to fill out. Does it really cost nearly $5000 to process a visa, why so expensive? I was very shocked at this :chatterbox:

I believe there are some agencies which help in the process, are they worth looking into? Some also say 'no visa, no payments' are these worth looking into?

Thanks again for any help!

Guest julie2g1b

hi there just wanted to welcome you to pio, it took us a year to get our visa'a we did them ourselfs to save money, we are heading to perth as heard so much about the place from people how brill it is to bring children up there, so did lots of research and found we liked secret harbour area going over in nov to validate visa as not sold our house:arghh:so will have a good luck around as never been to oz before.

most agents give about 15mins free to discuse which visa is best go matilda are hightly rated on here as with other agents plus fee's vary...........

good luck

julie :wubclub:

Guest boz8@absamail.co.za

Hi there - I am a 67 year old active person. I have a son and grandchildren living in Sydney. My daughter is making serious efforts to obtain a permit to join my son in Australia. She presently lives in NY as does my other son. My youngest son lives in South Africa. I own a house and other assets but even if I sell up everything I own I will not have the requisite amount (US$45 000,00??) to take to Aus and still pay for my expenses in setting up home in Aus. All the "experts" I have contacted on the Net require "funds" before answering questions -hence my request. I have heard that I have to have at least 2 of my children living in Aus before I can apply to live there. is this correct? I have visited Aus on about 5 occasions and presently have a 5 year visa but it is only valid for the time that I spend there - i.e. 1 - 2 months at a time. What route should I take with regard to applying for permanent residence in Australia? I do not want to sell up everything here before I know for certain that I will be granted permanent residence. Please assist. Thanks in advance.

Hi there - I am a 67 year old active person. I have a son and grandchildren living in Sydney. My daughter is making serious efforts to obtain a permit to join my son in Australia. She presently lives in NY as does my other son. My youngest son lives in South Africa. I own a house and other assets but even if I sell up everything I own I will not have the requisite amount (US$45 000,00??) to take to Aus and still pay for my expenses in setting up home in Aus. All the "experts" I have contacted on the Net require "funds" before answering questions -hence my request. I have heard that I have to have at least 2 of my children living in Aus before I can apply to live there. is this correct? I have visited Aus on about 5 occasions and presently have a 5 year visa but it is only valid for the time that I spend there - i.e. 1 - 2 months at a time. What route should I take with regard to applying for permanent residence in Australia? I do not want to sell up everything here before I know for certain that I will be granted permanent residence. Please assist. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rosemary,

Your post might get a little lost in this one, there are some gret people to give you advice on here, but they might miss you out.

Put out a new thread asking your question and I am sure you will get a better response, Gollywobbler is a great help with visas, but she might miss it on here.

Go to the home page, pick out your section and then you can start a new thread.

Good luck in all you do.:wubclub:

Archived