Anyone planning on moving Mackay???

Guest lala28

Guest lala28

Hi we are hopefully returning to Mackay early next year, (had 5 month there last year then had to return due to family illness in Uk). Is there anyone out there who is planning on moving to Mackay, or recently moved there? If so it would be great to hear from you. :jiggy:

Hi we are hopefully returning to Mackay early next year, (had 5 month there last year then had to return due to family illness in Uk). Is there anyone out there who is planning on moving to Mackay, or recently moved there? If so it would be great to hear from you. :jiggy:

Hiya,

We are landing in Mackay on the 26th Spet to start a new life, hopefully living in Eimeo area, there's 5 of us Me, my wife Lisa and 3 daughters Mel, Jess & Lydia.

Where abouts are you settling ??

Guest lala28

Hi Manxste

Eimeo is lovely. We were living there last year and will probably look to return to that area. Good luck with the move and keep in touch to let me know how it's going:yes:

Guest Row Shack
Hiya,

We are landing in Mackay on the 26th Spet to start a new life, hopefully living in Eimeo area, there's 5 of us Me, my wife Lisa and 3 daughters Mel, Jess & Lydia.

Where abouts are you settling ??

Hi we are living in Blacks Beach, which is very near to Eimeo and my 2 boys go to Eimeo State School, which is very nice, easy to get into not like back in England. I only arrived here on 6th August, so its still new to me. My husband has been here since April, I'd love to hear from you when you arrive, not met any English people yet!!

Hi, we are moving to Mackay soon enough. We have just had our visas granted, so I reccon we should be out there in a month(ish).

We are looking at Mount Pleasant.

I will be working just around the corner from the airport.

We have 2 little ones a boy 10 and a little girl 6, we have not chosen a school as yet, any advice would be very welcome.

It would be great to catch up with some one in the same boat as us when we land.

see you soon.

Thanks.

John.

Hi, we are moving to Mackay soon enough. We have just had our visas granted, so I reccon we should be out there in a month(ish).

We are looking at Mount Pleasant.

I will be working just around the corner from the airport.

We have 2 little ones a boy 10 and a little girl 6, we have not chosen a school as yet, any advice would be very welcome.

It would be great to catch up with some one in the same boat as us when we land.

see you soon.

Thanks.

John.

Hi John,

Congrats on the visa!!:cool:

We flying on the 24th landing in Mackay on 26th so if you need anything let me know !!!

Ste

Hi John,

Congrats on the visa!!

We flying on the 24th landing in Mackay on 26th so if you need anything let me know !!!

Ste

Hiya pal.

Thanks for the offer but you might regret it after you read this lot.:biglaugh:

I am guessing you are from the Isle of Man from your sig, or are you just into fast bikes. That is a place i would like to go to one day.

How are you feeling about the big OFF,

You are no doubt very busy at the moment I am sure.

I do have one or two questions for you if you don't mind.

1, Have you been already.

2, What you doing out there.

3, Have you secured a place yet.

4, If no to the above where the heck are you gonna go when you land.( as we have not got anywhere yet and we are a little worried):err:

5, Who you flying with and moving with.

6, What is it you do for work?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but you know how it is.

No doubt we will meet soon I hope.

Mid October is when we are aiming at fling out so you should be a little settled by then and ready to show us around.

Cheers again and good luck.

John Tara Rob and Boo

• 3 months later...
Guest Matt&Nin

Hi, we are planning to move out to Mackay in Nov 09 - going through the visa process at the moment.

Would love to keep in touch with any expats or locals on this forum as it will all help with the settling in process.

My partner and I travelled around Oz for 5 months a couple of years ago and know a bit about the country but moving out to live permanently is a different matter of course.

Really interested in any advice or opinion regarding where to live in the Mackay area - love the beaches but don't want to be isolated. We are thinking of renting for a while until we can 1. sell our house in the UK and 2. decide on the right place for us to settle.

Any information or advice is gratefully received :rolleyes:

Guest lala28
Hi, we are planning to move out to Mackay in Nov 09 - going through the visa process at the moment.

Would love to keep in touch with any expats or locals on this forum as it will all help with the settling in process.

My partner and I travelled around Oz for 5 months a couple of years ago and know a bit about the country but moving out to live permanently is a different matter of course.

Really interested in any advice or opinion regarding where to live in the Mackay area - love the beaches but don't want to be isolated. We are thinking of renting for a while until we can 1. sell our house in the UK and 2. decide on the right place for us to settle.

Any information or advice is gratefully received :rolleyes:

I think you are doing the right thing regarding renting. You need to know your way around first before you decide where you would like to live. We are stuck until we can sell so not sure if/when we'll get back. Keep in touch though and let me know how things go:jiggy:

Well we are here now, we have had alot of trouble with the old lap top so not been on here for and age.

we got here in October and our feet have only just touched the ground, it has been very full on so far. We are settled in Bucasia in the northern beaches area and it is grand. the kids are in Bucasia state school and have settled in great it is very friendly little school indeed. It is very hot at the moment and we have had some fair rain storms, but they go as fast as they come.

Christmas was a little strange, we went to some friends house for champers and a swim in there pool, so yes very far from the usual cold wet affair in the uk

we do miss friends and familly like mad but we do think we have done the right thing and we are loving it, it in not cheap and rent is a right pain in the arse and the real estate agents are lets say a bunch of.............. when it comes to renting, good if you want to buy.

it is tough but well worth the hard work you will love it.

Good luck.

John.

I've been in Mackay 4 years if anyone wants to know specifics. If you're trying to rent don't be too fussy as it's a bugger to get a place without an Aussie rental history.

Feel free to PM me

Also, the cheaper rentals are flood prone...Last February Mackay had 25 inches of rain in 6 hours. So, be aware!!

Mackay Rental Properties | North Queensland | QLD

We have our own house which we had built in 1996 and love the quiet. Once a week into town for the groceries then back to Paradise:wink:

Guest Matt&Nin
Also, the cheaper rentals are flood prone...Last February Mackay had 25 inches of rain in 6 hours. So, be aware!!

Mackay Rental Properties | North Queensland | QLD

We have our own house which we had built in 1996 and love the quiet. Once a week into town for the groceries then back to Paradise:wink:

Cheers Bobj,

We will be coming over in November just before the wet... so a point well made.

We might be looking at staying some place just north of Mackay.. Seaforth and around.. what do you think?

Your place sounds like heaven... Nice one Bob.

Cheers Bobj,

We will be coming over in November just before the wet... so a point well made.

We might be looking at staying some place just north of Mackay.. Seaforth and around.. what do you think?

Your place sounds like heaven... Nice one Bob.

Simply....Brilliant!! I live 10 minutes away.

Only 2 shops and a bowls club in Seaforth

Seaforth At the Anzac Dawn Service

Cheeky060.jpg

It's not so much the cheaper rentals that are flood prone but anything without a bit of elevation. Bear in mind that Mackay is largely built on the flood plains of the Pioneer River, which is why I bought a high-set house (just as well, we got about six inches through it when the floods came last year, but as we only have garage and concrete downstairs there's nothing to get damaged).

The newer estates are also likely to get flooded out; all the elevation got built on years ago, now they're developing the flat former cane farms; I go past Blacks Beach Cove and wonder if people really know the problems they're going to have when we get a cyclone through.

If you have broadband go the city council site and look up mimaps.mackay.qld.gov.au, you'll find topo lines over aerial photos there. Anything less than about 7m and you'll get water through it sooner or later. The council will also give you storm surge information and flood maps. The storm surge stuff got updated and downgraded last year; previously I was in a level 3 evacuation zone, now it seems I'm in a safe zone. That would be the isostacy kicking in then.

It's not so much the cheaper rentals that are flood prone but anything without a bit of elevation. Bear in mind that Mackay is largely built on the flood plains of the Pioneer River, which is why I bought a high-set house (just as well, we got about six inches through it when the floods came last year, but as we only have garage and concrete downstairs there's nothing to get damaged).

The newer estates are also likely to get flooded out; all the elevation got built on years ago, now they're developing the flat former cane farms; I go past Blacks Beach Cove and wonder if people really know the problems they're going to have when we get a cyclone through.

If you have broadband go the city council site and look up mimaps.mackay.qld.gov.au, you'll find topo lines over aerial photos there. Anything less than about 7m and you'll get water through it sooner or later. The council will also give you storm surge information and flood maps. The storm surge stuff got updated and downgraded last year; previously I was in a level 3 evacuation zone, now it seems I'm in a safe zone. That would be the isostacy kicking in then.

Unfortunately the link does not work.

Try this:Mackay Regional Council - M i M A P S

Well we are here now, we have had alot of trouble with the old lap top so not been on here for and age.

we got here in October and our feet have only just touched the ground, it has been very full on so far. We are settled in Bucasia in the northern beaches area and it is grand. the kids are in Bucasia state school and have settled in great it is very friendly little school indeed. It is very hot at the moment and we have had some fair rain storms, but they go as fast as they come.

Christmas was a little strange, we went to some friends house for champers and a swim in there pool, so yes very far from the usual cold wet affair in the uk

we do miss friends and familly like mad but we do think we have done the right thing and we are loving it, it in not cheap and rent is a right pain in the arse and the real estate agents are lets say a bunch of.............. when it comes to renting, good if you want to buy.

it is tough but well worth the hard work you will love it.

Good luck.

John.

Hi John,

Give me a shout if u fancy a beer or bbq mate, we're over in Northview Gardens in Glenella.

Cheers:spinny:

Ste

Have you got a job in the mines?:chatterbox: Have you ever been to Mackay before?

Lala x

Hi,

We landed at the end of Sept, and its been great apart from the usual bad days thinking of family and friends.

Glad we came to Mackay, everyone we have met so far has been great. Everyone seems happy and chilled. I would recommend coming here to everyone who hasnt been to Oz before, its less stressfull than trying to find your way in a big city. We live in Glenella (Northview), and its a really nice quiet street with nice houses and neighbours.

I'm working in Sarina, in rail but ultimately its for the transportation of coal out to Hay Point.

Ste

Hi,

We landed at the end of Sept, and its been great apart from the usual bad days thinking of family and friends.

Glad we came to Mackay, everyone we have met so far has been great. Everyone seems happy and chilled. I would recommend coming here to everyone who hasnt been to Oz before, its less stressfull than trying to find your way in a big city. We live in Glenella (Northview), and its a really nice quiet street with nice houses and neighbours.

I'm working in Sarina, in rail but ultimately its for the transportation of coal out to Hay Point.

Ste

Good to see, mate. Some good houses around Sarina/Sarina Beach should the need arise.

• 5 weeks later...
Good to see, mate. Some good houses around Sarina/Sarina Beach should the need arise.

Hi Bobj,

We are living in Glenella at the mo, pretty central to everything and only half an hr from work.

Close to the Pioneer too for when I get my boat !!!!:biggrin:

Ste

• 1 month later...
Guest catgriffiths

We are planning to move to Mackay in September. (husband, myself and 10 year old son. Daughter is to follow after finishing uni next year). Worried about accomodation shortage, particularly renting initially and some repoprts of very unfriendly locals (hope not). If you are returning there it must be ok!!!!!!!!! Cat

We are planning to move to Mackay in September. (husband, myself and 10 year old son. Daughter is to follow after finishing uni next year). Worried about accomodation shortage, particularly renting initially and some repoprts of very unfriendly locals (hope not). If you are returning there it must be ok!!!!!!!!! Cat

G'day mate, a nice time to come to Mackay, September. You miss out on the cold, cold temps:wink:

Here are some links to help you.

Mackay real estate - Google Search

mackay house rental - Google Search

MACKAY PHOTOS, MACKAY PHOTOGRAPHS, MACKAY PICTURES

I live 48 km north west of the city and travelling time to get there is about 35-45 minutes.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived