is the grass really greener?

Guest jorees

hello everybody, My husband and myself have been thinking and talking about moving to australia for sometime, the talks are becoming more frequent and serious lately. We have 3 children aged 10, 8, and 2. The main reason for wanting to make the move is the hope of a better lifestyle for the children, wanting to remove them from the binge drinking culture! but is the grass really greener over there? Are the schools better?, where do we go? and is it really worth the move?? can somebody help me!!!! love jo

Life is pretty much what you make of it no matter where you live, if you do exactly the same things in oz as you do back home then things are not going to be much different. On the other hand if you adopt a different attitude (laid back like aussies) and a diffent lifestyle .

Your choices are what makes the difference, live like an Australian not like a brit in australia. I personally dont understand anyone joining expat clubs etc, why on earth go to a different country and try to live the same old way!

Guest jeffandmichelle

its got to be worth researching

weve applied and to make us realise we have done the right thing

our oldest boy was mugged at christmas for his mobile phone (black eyes, cut lip and bruised all over) here in England in broad daylight :( , 2 years ago the youngest had a knife pulled on him and his friends for a phone on a bus trip to school

id suggest research it or even take a trip, check the statistics and consider all the options weigh up the pros and cons and then make a decision

but you better be quick coz im turning off the light and closing the door when we leave :lol:

Guest jeffandmichelle

everyones got there reasons for leaving

its not just crime, but it has played a big part in our decision,

2 years ago michelle lost her mum and dad within a couple of months of each other and they were relatively young

the same year her cousin was murdered over at lakeside by 4 hoodies who slapped him about while taking pictures, he was born with down syndrome and had the mental age of a nine year old, eventually they threw him in the lake and filmed him drown, there laughs were caught on cctv camera and there own phones,

at the trial the judge summed up the hoodies were not criminals but victims of cicumstance and they had suffered enough with the nightmares they had been having, so the judge gave them 200 hours community service. they wont do that again in a hurry...

were not naive to think that its all roses in oz, but just the chance to start again and hey have a pool in the garden that you can use for more than 2 weeks of the year. sounds good to me

The main reason for wanting to make the move is the hope of a better lifestyle for the children, wanting to remove them from the binge drinking culture! but is the grass really greener over there?

On the balance of probabilities your children will have a better lifestyle here. I doubt you'd be able to remove them from binge drinking culture though - you might consider Saudi Arabia for that one :lol: . The grass here is certainly not greener either at the moment - its mostly brown after years of drought.

Joking apart most poms find a better life here but you have temper all the good aspects with the not so good. Overall I believe its a winner.

People who believe they're not going to be exposed to crime & all the other of societies ills are certainly deluding themselves, it might not be statistically quite as bad as the UK (I couldn't say?) but the difference will be largely academic for most people.

Statistically... other than Sydney... Crime rates across OZ are low by UK standards... I ran them of and uploaded them on the site jere somewhere a while back...

One glaring exception...NT has a higher murder rate per head of population than any other state...Mostly aboriginals fighting with each other after a few drinks I think...

Archived