perth with 2 kids

tazbear

Hi everyone we are moving to Perth hopefully in Feb 09 We have two kids Kane 14 and Jevon age 7 they both were excited when we first told them about dad getting a job in oz but now they are not so sure :arghh: Kane is panicing about starting a new school as some kind person has told him the schools in oz are crap so now he wants to stay in the uk I know that he ill be fine once we get him there but at the minute is driving us a bit mad is there any one around the same age who can help me out with some good teenage advise Thanks Julia

Hi everyone we are moving to Perth hopefully in Feb 09 We have two kids Kane 14 and Jevon age 7 they both were excited when we first told them about dad getting a job in oz but now they are not so sure :arghh: Kane is panicing about starting a new school as some kind person has told him the schools in oz are crap so now he wants to stay in the uk I know that he ill be fine once we get him there but at the minute is driving us a bit mad is there any one around the same age who can help me out with some good teenage advise Thanks Julia

hi Julia

My boys twins are age 12, we move to mandurah on the 17 Oct. One is really excited and is reading up on Aussie rules football,excited about being out doors all the time, sailing surfing ect. the other says nothing!! i think its the whole school thing that bothers him. but i know they will be fine and addapt! lets face it we wouldnt be moving our kids around the other side of the world if we didnt think they would have a more prosperous life in ozz. its hard i know, I hope it works out for you:yes:

take care

karen

Guest vicky&simon

hi julia

we are half way through our application to perth,we have a daughter 13 & a son 3.We have friends who live in perth,Dai who is welsh & kirsty who is ozzy they have a daughter who is 13.I have talked a lot about the schools to them as it was 1 of our main concerns about moving, there kids love school more relaxed,really good sport oppitunities 4 ur son,i really wouldnt worry about it once he has settled in he will b fine im sure. Good luck

Hi,

My daughter is 13 and my son 9 next month, we've been here almost 20 months (it's gone so fast). Both really enjoy school here, and I have to say that it seems a bit less regimented and more relaxed than the UK. We had enrolled our children in school before we arrived as we knew where we would be staying and the principle of the school set my daughter up with a pen-pal who she corresponded with prior to the move. Her friend introduced her to other classmates via msn and by the time we arrived, the thought of starting a new school wasn't quite so daunting.... perhaps it's something to consider.

Ali

Hi Vicky

thanks for that I know myself that once he gets there and starts school again he will have no problems as he likes all sports and outdoor activities and whats more he will love anything that is more relaxed as lets just say he is a little to layed back about most things ...Typical teenager lets just say ..

Were are you hoping to relocate to ? We are looking on the outskirts of Perth all depends on were the other half gets stationed we should find out soooon the whole thing just seems to take so looooong im sick of waiting I just want to pack and go the sooner the better....Have your friends Dai and Kirsty lived in oz for ever so to speak ?

Loads of questions I know ...

Julia

Ali

thanks for that that seems like a really good idea and def something to look into as msm is the way to go with Kane .My other half is joining WA police so once we find out were he will be stationed I can look at schools for the kids do you have to live in catchment areas for schools in Oz as you do in the UK .

Thanks Julia

Guest Torryquine

Hello, We. too. worried about our 8 year old starting a new school. However, when we saw him coming out of his classroom with a big smile on his face, sighs of relief all round. He didnt want to move to Oz, but now he loves it, especially school and all the sporting activities, and doesnt want to go back to the UK! We are between the airport and the city centre, and have never looked back. He was our main worry, but has settled so well and has a better social life than his parents! Good luck!

Guest prettyinpink

Hi Tazbear, we've got our visas through and hoping to be in Perth next month. I have a 10 year old and a 14 year old (both boys). The 14 year old has been the most anxious about the move as he has a great circle of mates and really didn't want to leave them. However, after chatting to other forum members on here, I persuaded him to register and he's loving talking to other teenagers on here who are either out there and loving it, or waiting to go and feeling excited/anxious/nervous. He is feeling more optimistic about the move now and will talk about how he's feeling with us more than he ever used to. I would recommend that Kane have a look at the posts on here from others just like him, and if he wants to he can join. There is a section specifically for the younger members of the forum. My son's name on here is reptile buddy, I'm sure he's love to hear from Kane. Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime.

Guest pomsrus
Hi Tazbear, we've got our visas through and hoping to be in Perth next month. I have a 10 year old and a 14 year old (both boys). The 14 year old has been the most anxious about the move as he has a great circle of mates and really didn't want to leave them. However, after chatting to other forum members on here, I persuaded him to register and he's loving talking to other teenagers on here who are either out there and loving it, or waiting to go and feeling excited/anxious/nervous. He is feeling more optimistic about the move now and will talk about how he's feeling with us more than he ever used to. I would recommend that Kane have a look at the posts on here from others just like him, and if he wants to he can join. There is a section specifically for the younger members of the forum. My son's name on here is reptile buddy, I'm sure he's love to hear from Kane. Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime.

Hi

My name is Catherine and we migrated here 2 and a half years ago (hubbie, me and 3 kids, now 14, 12 and 4). I know exactly what you are going through I had a 12 year old (now 14) who was all for it and couldn't wait to move to oz, a 10 year old (now 12) who "wanted to going to take me to court for ruining her life in taking her away from her friends, family and school) and a 2 year old (now 4) who was obviously non plussed!!!

But seriously do not worry, I think we the mums find it the hardest when we get here, Australian kids are so friendly and kind natured and believe me teenage boys that I have met won't even go back to the Uk for a visit, (i actually went back in December and my 12 year old refused to come, to meet her favourite aunties newborn baby!!) what happened to the legal proceedings. My kids are so happy here, and I am sure yours will be too. Not sure if you know where you are planning to be once you get here, but we live in Mandurah 1 hour south of Perth and so can particularly help with anything you want to know about the peel and Rockingham areas.

If it will help, your kids can make contact with my kids and they can converse on their own level and maybe that will help reassure or answer any questions they might have. Don't hesitate to get in touch if I can help with anything at all, my email is thejacklins@bigpond.com I am also a fully qualified and licensed finance/mortgage broker, if you need any help in that department.

good luck, it will all be fine!

Catherine

Guest vicky&simon
Hi Vicky

thanks for that I know myself that once he gets there and starts school again he will have no problems as he likes all sports and outdoor activities and whats more he will love anything that is more relaxed as lets just say he is a little to layed back about most things ...Typical teenager lets just say ..

Were are you hoping to relocate to ? We are looking on the outskirts of Perth all depends on were the other half gets stationed we should find out soooon the whole thing just seems to take so looooong im sick of waiting I just want to pack and go the sooner the better....Have your friends Dai and Kirsty lived in oz for ever so to speak ?

Loads of questions I know ...

Julia

hya

right long story,Dai & Simon have been best buds scince play group[3] they are more like brothers than friends, they are closer to eachother than they are to their own brothers.Seven yrs ago Dai decided to go backpacking in oz ,as a result he met kirst & that was it LOVE!!.She had 2 daughters tiarra[13] chloe[10] [ages now].He took on the role as dad as they got no contact with there real one 2yrs after they met they all came over,Dai wanted 2 show them where he came from,they were only here 6months Kirsty& girls hated it,they hated school here weather,lack of things 2 do,Kirsty laughed at what we call a park,they couldn believe how dirty it was here,they were soon on a plane home.Dai has been constantly nagging us 2 go over for our benifit as its "just such a better life" we talk all the time on computer on phone,i was talking to Kirsty this morning and she said"weather is beautiful today its coming into spring she got sunburn" ,they live in perth a surberb called kingsly thats where going the sooner the better i say,its very green home from home,if i can help u in any way get in touch,hope ive helped. x:jiggy:

Hi Vicky

thanks for that I know it will be cool once we get there lets face it good old england has its faults right now !I am more than sure once the kids settle I woulnt even get them back to the uk for a holiday. A better life is exacly why we decided to head to Oz I have been looking at a place called Clarkson and round that area do you know it ? Im going to have a look at Kingsly now it sounds lovely but saying that I have yet to find anywere i didnt quite fancy .When are you hoping to go out are you going on a PR visa ?

Julia x

Guest dizzy blonde

Hi Tazbear

We moved to Perth 12 months ago, my son is 15 and has settled really well. We are really pleased with the school system here, they seem to teach them to think about things/discuss things as opposed to facts and figures to get them through GCSE's. One of his subject options is outdoor ed which has involved surf lessons/absailing/rock climbing etc. They also do sport, so AFL/soccer etc. He had no trouble making friends and we hardly ever see him, only when we are being a taxi service plus he keeps in touch with his UK friends through msn etc. I notice that you are looking at Clarkson, we are in Mindarie which is the suburb opposite. If you need any help give me a shout. Good luck with the move.

Lynne

Guest Aliice

hey i hope u can help me we r goin out 2 validate our visa soon n we are looking at school i am really woried about it as i dnt like sport or anthing and i am worried about the uniform

Hi dizzy blonde

thanks for that its really good to hear that your son has settled so well and those school options should bring a smile to his face they do sound much more appealing than the facts and figures they study for gcse here in the uk the taxi thing follows you to the other side of the world as well ! Is there a high school as well as a primary were you are living ? we are still trying to make our minds up as to were to live at first we are looking around the joondalup area as thats were the oh will be working for the first few months .Thanks for your post it makes me feel better to read that other kids of the same age have settled well because as you know the teenager is a very strange creature !

Julia

Archived