What to do with a 14 year old in Perth??

Guest Misty

Hi,

We're going to Perth this October on a validation visit. The OH is going to be visiting the Build and Design show and then going out shadowing a friend of his for a couple of days just to get the feel of working in Oz.

So, myself and my stepdaughter are being left to our own devices for at least 3 days. Obviously I will pick up a couple of travel guides etc, and check the websites for Perth, but if anyone has any ideas of any good activities or places to visit which might keep us busy for a few days, then all help would be greatly appreciated.

It will all be new to us, so it doesn't matter what it is.

Of course, if we get really stuck we could always go shopping.........any suggestions there would be even more appreciated by one shopaholic teenager (not me, obviously ;-) )

Thanks,

Cheryl (and a shopaholic Em)

Hi,

I've moved your thread to the WA part of the forum - may get a few replies. October is a good time to come as some things do close down over winter until September. There are the Rockingham encounters which include swimming with dolphins, and also there's adventure world where my 13 year old would live if we let her. It's a water park but also has dry rides too. Both of these things have websites. There's the zoo, but our favourite place to take visitors is Cavesham Wildlife park, as it only takes about half a day to get around and is within Whiteman park - take a picnic lunch and it's a really relaxing day. There's also other wildlife parks. At the airport there's free guide books to pick up. Perth City is lovely and relaxing and easy to get around.

Kings Park for the family - some beautiful views and photo opportunities.

Have a great stay.

Hi,

I've moved your thread to the WA part of the forum - may get a few replies. October is a good time to come as some things do close down over winter until September. There are the Rockingham encounters which include swimming with dolphins, and also there's adventure world where my 13 year old would live if we let her. It's a water park but also has dry rides too. Both of these things have websites. There's the zoo, but our favourite place to take visitors is Cavesham Wildlife park, as it only takes about half a day to get around and is within Whiteman park - take a picnic lunch and it's a really relaxing day. There's also other wildlife parks. At the airport there's free guide books to pick up. Perth City is lovely and relaxing and easy to get around.

Kings Park for the family - some beautiful views and photo opportunities.

Have a great stay.

Nearly put it in the WA part too, but wasn't sure and changed my mind at the last minute. Trust me!

But thanks for that - they all sound great. Will have a look on the net at them. Might let her Dad take her to the water park tho ;-)

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi

You could take a day trip to Rottnest Island which is fab you can get the boat from Barrack Street Jetty in Perth city.

There is also Supa Golf which is in Swan Valley and lots of fun there is also AQUA marine centre at Hilary's where you will also find water slides & crazy golf.

Hope this helps!

Hi Misty,

I'm not keen on the water slides either - we go as a family, I sit in the shade and read my book - it's a great day out. Forgot to mention if you go into the city the CAT buses are free for you to get around up to kings park etc.

Ali

Guest hartleys

Hi Cheryl,

I would definately recommend Garden City for shopping, like Ali said i also loved Kings Park for the great views an nice walks and you can also go into Perth to shop if you dont want to spend the whole day there. Rockingham foreshore has some great restaraunts for lunch and Emmas does a fab afternoon tea. We also went to a great wildlife park not far from secret harbour but i cant remember what it was called im sure someone will let you know, you get to feed all the animals which did spook me at first when they all came running over (i thought i would be like chester zoo and they would be behing fences) you can alos have your photo done with a koala think you have to pre book this. Check out if they are doing open air movies at Burrswood that was good too. Im sure you will have a fab time, im very jealous, have a few cocktails on the beach for me.

Lisa x

Guest jchrisj
Fremantle prison is excellent - my kids loved the tour - a bit of history

Ali

Teenager...................Prison tour

Crikey,,,,,,,,,,,,,theres loads of mielage on this one:goofy:

Can we leave em there!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Teenager...................Prison tour

Crikey,,,,,,,,,,,,,theres loads of mielage on this one:goofy:

Can we leave em there!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Ooohhh, now there's a thought!

Wonder if you can leave the OH too............. ;-)

Cheryl

Honestly, it's a great tour - my kids were 12 and 7 when we did it and it is really interesting if you like history - it only stopped being used as a prison in the 1990's, the guys who take the tours round are great and funny. They do a tunnel tour ... and I'm not sure if they still do one at night time too. They still have the hangmans noose (not the origional), that's quite a sombre room to go in, knowing that people actually died there.

Ali

p.s. if you go on a friday, the markets will be open - Freo is a great place to spend the day

Guest BullcreekBob
So, myself and my stepdaughter are being left to our own devices for at least 3 days. Obviously I will pick up a couple of travel guides etc, and check the websites for Perth, but if anyone has any ideas of any good activities or places to visit which might keep us busy for a few days, then all help would be greatly appreciated.

G'day

At that time of the year the whales are migrating down the coast. Popping up to Hillary's harbour and putting yourselves on a whale cruise is exciting. Or drive down to Mandurah or Bunbury and play with the dolphins for a few hours.

Whilst shopping is a great deal of fun, my advice would be to try something you've never done before; it will give you stronger and more positive memories of your first visit. Of course, if go already go Whale watching regularly then you'll have to try hot air ballooning over York or exploring underground caves down south.

Cheers

Bob

Hello,

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's suggestions. They all sound great, so we're certainly not going to be stuck for something to do. Not that I thought we would be, but it is good to get some personal recommendations.

The only problem I think now is going to be where to start first!

Bob - promise to keep the shopping to a minimum, but teenage girls always seem to need to come back from a holiday with half a suitcase full of presents for their friends! We have been whale watching in the past too, something I think I could happily do everyday, but have never played with dolphins so thank you for that one.

Once again, thank you to everyone. I think your suggestions cover a lot of bases - some wildlife (which is my thing really), some chilling time, a bit of excitement (tho I'm still not doing the water rides ;-)), and some history. We're all really looking forward to it.

Take good care,

Cheryl

Guest sullivan_artex

Theres also the Perth Zoo nice place to try,

if you want to do the shopping scene then you can try in perths main town its open till 9pm on Fridays and its open normal hours on Sundays.

and when you actually move there i would say get your kid into school asap, coz when i moved there i was 17 in the april and i turned 18 in may that same year and dint know anyone.

for a while it was the same for me but my two younger brothers and my younger sister went straight into school and they had friends straight away. my brothers were 14 and 15 and my sister was 8 we all lasted there in the end.

(but im actually back in england at the mo but hopefully not for to long)

Guest BullcreekBob
...and its open normal hours on Sundays.

If by "normal" you mean midday till 4:30 or 5:00pm, I guess you're right.

Guest sandymc

I was with my 15 year old son and he thought Kings Park was 'awsome' Thats a first ! . There is plenty to do but we spent a lot of time in Fremantle, Hillarys Harbour and round the coast, now the tip is get out early in the morning buy a day family travel ticket and you can use the ticket on the trains, buses and ferry in the perth trans area, so if you feel up to it get the train to warwick then the bus to Hillarys Harbour come back to Perth after your visit to the aquarium, then get the train down to Mandurah, great value. You will be spoilt for choice.

Honestly, it's a great tour - my kids were 12 and 7 when we did it and it is really interesting if you like history - it only stopped being used as a prison in the 1990's, the guys who take the tours round are great and funny. They do a tunnel tour ... and I'm not sure if they still do one at night time too. They still have the hangmans noose (not the origional), that's quite a sombre room to go in, knowing that people actually died there.

Ali

p.s. if you go on a friday, the markets will be open - Freo is a great place to spend the day

We did the Fremantle Prison tour last weekend (I been saying for months I fancied it)

and we all really enjoyed it. We want to go back and do the tunnel tour soon.

Guest sullivan_artex

train down to Mandurah, great value. You will be spoilt for choice.

great value is right. you can get a family rider for $8.40 and that will take 2 adults and 5 consessions on the one ticket and thats a all day ticket to be used on any trans Perth train or bus. that can only be bought after 6pm on a Monday - Thursday and after 3pm on a Friday or at anytime on the weekends. during school holidays you can get it any time on any day.

Archived