Redland bay great for ex pats

Guest paulwbafc

Guest paulwbafc

We went for a balti at the only balti probably in the southern hemisphere but def only one in australia.

This is place we went to: click on link.

The Spice Avenue Balti Restaurant | ourbrisbane.com

The restaurant has photos of brum on the walls instead of usual indian culture stuff on walls etc. Definately going again food was awesome. very busy there and theres a wait but its worth it. All english people that go there mostly brummies and black country people too. There was a crowd from dudley but all wolves fans mostly so had bit of banter on the football.

had a dozen people on our table, introduced my wife jane and the kids to my new ozzie mates from brum and other towns in uk. Janes cousin Angela and her aussie friend Shane was there too whom i invited over to help jane mix in. Also baggies Steve has arranged for us all to go to watch the match at his albion mates house tonight to have bbq and watch match on his plasma screen, not met him yet, but he knows were coming over and said were more than welcome. So we will meet some more albion friends today.

Tomoro going to cleveland sands to meet a mate anthony whom is from uk. There were going to watch queensland roar in the a league at this bar down there.

This afternoon taking jane to the ikea to get some things for the house. Exactly same as the one in wednesbury in england inside with exactly same items. So when you go to wednesbury ikea you can pretend your in australia and i can pretend im in wednesbury (as if) hehe. Only give away is people walk round in flip flops shorts and t shirts.

Its another clear blue sky day today, had couple of partly cloudy days in the week, place starting to dry out now no rain in over 3 weeks. very english summer weather here at moment and looking forward to next month when it will be hot enough to take kids to water parks etc and sort out some annual passes.

This weekend going to enjoy the football thou, recording the everton v blackburn and liverpool v sunderland games to see too. Chelsea, man utd, and every other game is on to but don't think will be back in time to select match for the 3pm kick offs. as all are on live and have to press red button on remote to go to menu to select game i want.

also few doors down from spice avenue balti is an english supermarket called 'britain on the bayside'.

http://www.britainonthebayside.com.au

thats there website

All these things from back in england. went to hairdressers and while having my hair cut the woman was from kent talking in her cockney accent. The shops you go to half the time its a uk person serving. I have been on busses and a few times they are from the uk. Redland bay has a large ex pat community.

Kids start school week on monday. we went to the school yesterday and many of the kids are from england too and was told not to worry about them they will settle in quickly here.

Not missing anything yet from england, all the things i liked in england, most of it is over here anyway, baltis football, all here.

Do miss family etc and will look forward to seeing them again next year. Anyway who visits will see how much higher the standard of living is here compared to england.

If this place was in england it would cost 4 or 5 times more that what we pay here. The homes would be over 500k to 1 million quid instead of 200k-250k we pay here for great home in a top class area.

So far enjoying the people i have met, the kids and jane, balti's football, the wonderful weather, litter free towns, friendly happy aussies out and about. Smell of fresh sea air in the garden. Able to plan going out not worry about the weather. Coldest winter here for 20 years so we was told last night. 5c at night 20c in daytime.

lots to gain out here.

take care all you poor buggers in england with the sky high gas and elec bills with winter on the way dark nights in winter, sooooo glad to see the back of english winters i hated them with a passion. Every winter no sun and miserable grey skys and watch your money burn away when you have the fire on. Glad to see back of that. Spring here officailly in next 2 weeks.

1st sunday in september is fathers day here so get to enjoy it again yippeee.

I miss family but just feel so damn sorry for them and guilty a bit that i have it so damn lovely out here. Would break my heart to have to go back to England. RIP Britain Australia all the way for me.

Guest paulwbafc

oh yes any ex pat baggies south side of brisbane get in touch and i will get you all introduced to other ex pat baggies out here too.

Hi Paul and Jane, We are not Baggies fans Wolves through and through, however we are living in Birkdale a hop skip and jump from the local Indian. How long have you been here?? We arrive Dec 07 and are now into our 8th month. Would be good to meet up and be introduced to yet more English in Oz. Speak soon PM if you like and l can forward our contact details :)

Glad you are having a great time. I am the only member of the family who likes curry so its doubtful we will try it. But it sounds a lovely place. Its nice to here when people are getting on well over there.

Keep us posted on anything else you find. Good luck for the future and I am not at all jeolous in anyway shape or form Grrrrrrr:biglaugh:

Just wanted to say, that I read posts on here and it all sounds the same as living in uk. Cost of living is more the food is more expensive, the hours are longer etc etc. I was starting to feel like there wasn't much point in moving out to oz, however after reading your emails I now feel the way I did when I first spoke to someone who is currently in the process of moving to oz and I felt like I wanted to move there and then after speaking to him, and yet, last night I was starting to think it probably wasn't worth all the hassle, however I have read your message and not I feel ready to start the task in hand all over again.

Where is it you live???? As we are planning to come out there next year for a few weeks and do some travelling around to see where we like the most to live, at the moment still very early stages and not sure where we want to move to.

Thanks

Tasha

Guest the ps

Great post!

We are heading to redland Bay in a few weeks so it was good to read positive things about it.

Definatley try the balti place

Brenda

Guest jaynieb

Hi

Just wanted to say that me, my husband and little girl are moving over to oz on the 9th Sept. Working on the southside of brisbane, looking to live around wyunnum. But would like to meet up with other expats. Not brummies but do enjoy a good curry!!

Jayne

WE WENT TO BRITS ON THE BAY THE OTHER DAY AS WE WERE TOLD THEY DID LINCOLNSHIRE SAUSAGES BUT THEY RAN OUT SO HAD TO HAVE PORK BUT THEY WERE BETTER THAN THE OZZIE ONES, I GOT BISTO MMMMMM $18 A BIT STEEP BUT THE GRAVY IS GHASTLY HERE AND KOLA CUBES AND PORPER CHOCOLATE IT WAS HEAVEN IT IS DEAR BUT WELL WORTH IT. DIDNT GET TO THE BALTI RESTAURANT BUT WILL DO NEXT TIME WE GO THERE,

:wubclub:

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to say, that I read posts on here and it all sounds the same as living in uk. Cost of living is more the food is more expensive, the hours are longer etc etc. I was starting to feel like there wasn't much point in moving out to oz, however after reading your emails I now feel the way I did when I first spoke to someone who is currently in the process of moving to oz and I felt like I wanted to move there and then after speaking to him, and yet, last night I was starting to think it probably wasn't worth all the hassle, however I have read your message and not I feel ready to start the task in hand all over again.

Where is it you live???? As we are planning to come out there next year for a few weeks and do some travelling around to see where we like the most to live, at the moment still very early stages and not sure where we want to move to.

Thanks

Tasha

Hi Tasha

Just having a mooch at the postings as you do & noticed you are from Bromsgrove!:jiggy: Thats where I am from too! Lived there since I was 5, moved to Cofton Hackett when I married & then rented a house in Lickey End whilst we were waiting for visas. Its a small world eh? Give us a shout if you want any info, living in North Lakes, approx 30 mins north of Brisbane, with hubby & kids 12,10 & 7. I've been here 2 mths, hubby been here 4 mths, starting to make friends but I am pretty homesick - he isn't! :nah:

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide!

Sue

Archived