Wanting to teach!!

Guest Middlesbrough Stu

Guest Middlesbrough Stu

I am a 21 year old male holding a sports science degree with over 5 years sports teaching and coaching experience at several secondary and primry schools combined with professional football clubs in England. I have not however gained my P.G.C.E (teaching certificate) in the U.K but wish to teach P.E (primary or secondary) in Australia when i arrive next month. Does anybody know if this is possible and if there is a possibility to attend an Australian university to complete a teaching certificate so I would not have to return home to the U.K?? Any help would be great!!

Stu

AFAIK if you have not got a teaching qualification then you will not be able to teach in Australia, certainly not in government schools. However, you might be able to get in to one of the private schools as a PE teacher, they seem to be able to pick and choose who they want. As for doing your postgrad teaching qualifications in Australia, sure you can do them but it will cost an arm and a leg as an international student so unless you have permanent residence at least or citizenship for preference then you will need very deep pockets.

You may find other coaching opportunities going which arent in schools - looking at the fairly dismal performance in the Olympics thus far I suspect there may be a major revamp of Australian sport coming up (they arent good losers) and so there may be new sporting initiatives being set up, if the tax payer can afford it.

Good luck

Guest Middlesbrough Stu

Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate any I can get as I am going into this situation pretty blind whilst hoping for a better life than in the U.K! On your advice I will get in contact with all private schools when I land in Brisbane. I have also e-mailed Queensland Roar, Brisbane Strikers and applied for positions for various multi-sports companies about the possibility of undertaking coaching work for them. Hopefully I may get some work from them if not I will travel elsewhere within Australia. On the prospect of citizenship or residency within my area of work, would you have any advice of how to get this? How long it will take or how much it may cost? I noticed that your location was in Canberra and wonder if you are contracted to any schools or sporting companies which may be able to provide hours whilst I am in Oz?? Many thanks again for your time and effort taken to answer may questions.

Stu

P.S - Oz cant do much worse than the U.K at these games! We are terrible - A boxer was beaten today and basically that he was gald he had lost so he could go home!! whats that all about?? haha

Archived