Just starting to think about moving - don't know where to start though!!!!!

natasha2106

Hi everyone,

I have only just registered to this, so still new to it all.

My husband has said for years that he would like to move to oz, however I have always said that it is too far to move. I have thought about it, but could never make my mind up. After speaking to a customer the other week, hearing what life is like in oz and his travels etc I was hooked, it sounds great, and now am ready to start looking into moving. My husband and I have since had long discussions about moving, we have two daughters, 7 & 4, and feel it is probably the best time to move whilst they are still young. We are planning to visit Oz next year and I don't know where I start with all the planning. We are going to go over for a holiday but also use it as a guide to what life is like and have a general look around different areas to live.

If anyone could advise me as to the starting point of all this, I would be most grateful. Are there any places you would recommend visiting when we come over for a holiday, what do we need to apply for, I have seen all different numbered visas, but not sure which is which. Is it wise to apply for visa before we have visited or wait until we have and have found an area which we would like to live first.

I am really struggling with what to start with first, where do I look, where do I travel to??

Any help or suggestions please.

Thanks

Natasha

Guest Angie*mark

Hi, first off dont panic lol. this site is great for all the questions u need answering too, and also make some really good friends who lift your spirits when it gets too much, so you've started well already!!! I dont really know how to advise, the only thing really is what we done first is speak to an agent, there are alot of them recommended on here they will guide you through the process and advise you on what visa is best for you. Go matilda is good and who we are with but there are plenty out there just dont put any money down straight away a good agent will not charge you for an initial chat and info in my experience.

Anyway good luck with it all.

Angie xxxx

Guest Sam&Si

Hi Natasha,

I agree with Angie, it's probably best to have a free chat with a decent Agent first to see what your chances would be of getting a visa, and then if that goes well you can then start looking at all the different places to live. Have a look on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au, and as far as Agents go Go Matilda, Ian Harrop, Visa Bureau all seem to get good feedback on here. Best of luck with it all,

x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Natasha

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I have moved your thread into the "welcome" section because I think you will get more replies to it in here.

I agree with everything Angie has said.

Additionally, study the DIAC website, I would suggest:

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

The Booklets are invaluable. It all seems very confusing to start with, but you will get the hang of it all Everyone does!

Best wishes

Gill

Guest hindinh

I got so excited that I posted such a long reply that I got timed out!

WIll try to recap in brief.

Visa - I use Mark Webster webster@acacia-au.com very good and gives a free assessment of your chances before you have to commit. WIll also advice most suitable visa type

Holiday - depends on time of year on amount of travel you want to do, Speak to good travel agent such as Trailfinders whose staff have been there (or are fromthere) and buy Lonely Planet Australia to get some ideas. Internal flights are very competitive with Virgin Blue and Qantas (Jetstar not so reliable) for longer distances.

LIving - cost can be a factor, Sydney most expensive followed by Melbourne, then Perth and Adelaide . You have to think about where your kind of work is available, climate (tropical v temperate v sub-tropical), children's facilities, if you have any friends there already, cities v outback etc.

Good luck and act now rather than wait 20 years like I did then only narrowly get the visa before I hit the 45 year old time barrier

Hiya Natasha welcome to poms in oz,youve been given some good advice above and quite a few hours of research,lol, have a good read through the forum boards and youll pick up lots of differnt tips and snips of infomation,good luck with everything and keep us informed

Cal x

• 1 year later...
Guest HARDY RULES

Hiya! I too am in the process of making the plunge! I have lived in Oz before but from a single persons point of view over 10 years ago! I am stuck as to where to start but, I do have relations in Brisbane and also Balmain. Queensland is where I am considering. I know the out set is very costly. go on to the government website! if you have anymoe luck please let me know.

I have been informed to apply for residency rathe than emplyment.

Hi Natasha

The site is brilliant for help & lifting your spirits when it all gets a bit tough. We have just taken the plunge, (Go Matilda, can't recommend them highly enough). Going out next April for a month to Adelaide, we have lots of family there & its the only state that will sponsor my husband (building associate). This brings me to the part that can be very distressing, that is that because he isn't CSL or MODL we are group 5 so could be waiting until 2012! However, our migration agent has told us to take this with a large pinch of salt, so I live in hope. Costs seem to be going up & up, approx £5 k for hols & another £3 k+ for visas etc. This could be a very expensive & long wait, but you get so far in that you have no choice but to keep going. I figure that its better to look back on life & know we tried. Keep smiling Natasha, before you know it you will be very clued up on the visa's, it becomes all consuming. Lynda x

Archived