Using UK Amazon Firestick in Australia

Marisawright

Posted (edited)

We've been using an old Chromecast on our not-very-smart smart TV and it's time to replace it. I'm looking at an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, and something occurred to me.

I seem to recall that someone (was it you, @Lavers?) brought their Firestick from the UK and just used it on their Aussie TV without changing the region settings, and that meant they were able to continue watching all the British TV channels (which are usually blocked in Oz).  Am I right?  If so, what model was it?

I don't care if it blocks Australian channels as I can always watch the free-to-air channels on the TV channels instead of through the Stick.  Most of the shows I watch on there are British anyway!

Edited by Marisawright

You won’t be able to access the UK channels without a VPN, the streamer checks your location based on your IP address which will have an Australian range and will block you based on that. The only thing the fire stick with a UK account really allows is access is to the UK apps on the store, IPlayer etc probably won’t be available on the Oz version of the store.

You could combine the stick with a UK Amazon account with a subscription to to something like NordVPN to watch the Uk channels, I might know people who do that to watch Australian channels from the UK 😆 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 10:22, Marisawright said:

We've been using an old Chromecast on our not-very-smart smart TV and it's time to replace it. I'm looking at an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, and something occurred to me.

I seem to recall that someone (was it you, @Lavers?) brought their Firestick from the UK and just used it on their Aussie TV without changing the region settings, and that meant they were able to continue watching all the British TV channels (which are usually blocked in Oz).  Am I right?  If so, what model was it?

I don't care if it blocks Australian channels as I can always watch the free-to-air channels on the TV channels instead of through the Stick.  Most of the shows I watch on there are British anyway!

You can get a new chromecast, download Send To My TV both to your phone and the chromecast from the playstore.  Download iPlayer apk to your phone, send it it to the TV, install it.  Then access iPlayer via the chromecast over something like NordVPN on UK, and watch everything Live or recorded.  You can even download, but i think they're stopping that service soon.  Also works for SkyNews UK, and Channel 4.  The ITV app is a pig and i don't think is actually an android TV app....you can put a tablet app on but it's buggy and looks terrible.

Note this works on standalone chromecast, not on the smart TV installed version of Android TV with chromecast.  It may work on fire stick, never used it.

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

You can get a new chromecast, download Send To My TV both to your phone and the chromecast from the playstore.  Download iPlayer apk to your phone, send it it to the TV, install it.  Then access iPlayer via the chromecast over something like NordVPN

This is my problem.  I've tried several VPNs and they all slow the signal down so much, we can't watch it.