Cleaning goods for move back to UK

lothar

Hi All,

We are moving back to the UK in June. 

I remember when moving out to Aus in 2018 I had to clean everything and disinfect everything we shipped. Do we need to do something similar on the way back? I can't find anything on the UK website, they seem more concerned about custom duty than biological hazards 😄

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, lothar said:

Hi All,

I remember when moving out to Aus in 2018 I had to clean everything and disinfect everything we shipped. Do we need to do something similar on the way back? I can't find anything on the UK website, they seem more concerned about custom duty than biological hazards 😄

Thanks.

Exactly right! Money over (organic) matter!

A good clean should be fine. Or it was when I moved back, but that was 2018 now. You don’t want it growing things in transit but they don’t seem to be as vigilant as Australia in that way. 😊

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Exactly right! Money over (organic) matter!

A good clean should be fine. Or it was when I moved back, but that was 2018 now. You don’t want it growing things in transit but they don’t seem to be as vigilant as Australia in that way. 😊

You're quite correct, there is no check on wooden stuff, food, soil on boots etc. when incoming to the UK.

There are a few restrictions such as declaring alcohol, I'll try and find the link for the OP, but generally anything goes.

edit - link https://www.gov.uk/moving-to-uk

You MAY find that your Aussie shippers advise you to clean everything (like importing to Aus) but thats just cos they haven't looked at the specific UK rules. The girl who packed my stuff into the van for shipping mentioned that things needed to be spotless, but when corrected she di admit she wasn't across the UK rules as she just packs vans, and mostly for shipment to NZ, or delivery in AUs after coming through customs.

OP -don't forget your TOR! It must be done by you prior to arrival of your goods, and not by the shipping company

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of-residence-to-great-britain

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

You're quite correct, there is no check on wooden stuff, food, soil on boots etc. when incoming to the UK.

There are a few restrictions such as declaring alcohol, I'll try and find the link for the OP, but generally anything goes.

edit - link https://www.gov.uk/moving-to-uk

You MAY find that your Aussie shippers advise you to clean everything (like importing to Aus) but thats just cos they haven't looked at the specific UK rules. The girl who packed my stuff into the van for shipping mentioned that things needed to be spotless, but when corrected she di admit she wasn't across the UK rules as she just packs vans, and mostly for shipment to NZ, or delivery in AUs after coming through customs.

OP -don't forget your TOR! It must be done by you prior to arrival of your goods, and not by the shipping company

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of-residence-to-great-britain

Yes the TOR! I think that process is much quicker and easier these days. I moved not long after it was introduced and it was a nightmare! The thread on here saved me with tips and contacts, it really did!

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Yes the TOR! I think that process is much quicker and easier these days. I moved not long after it was introduced and it was a nightmare! The thread on here saved me with tips and contacts, it really did!

Much smoother and simpler now. Took 2 days to get mine through and that seems fiarly typical nowadays 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lothar said:

Hi All,

Thanks.

No obligation to answer this at all, but how come you're moving back? Just curious! Appreciate it might be too personal to share.

4 hours ago, SophW said:

No obligation to answer this at all, but how come you're moving back? Just curious! Appreciate it might be too personal to share.

How long do you have? Apologies for the wall of text but ill need to provide some context first 😄

To be honest, I am not sure I officially qualify as a "Pom in Oz", as I was born and raised in South Africa 😛

My wife and I moved from SA to the UK in 2007 after university, we both had British Ancestry via our grandparents so were lucky enough to be able to get the Ancestry Visa. We spent 11 years in the UK, we lived closed to Woking in Surrey, and our first 2 children were born in the UK.

My wife always wanted to try Aus, and 2018 was our last chance to get the 189 PR visa before we lost points due to Age and would not be able to get an Aus Visa. So we took the plunge and moved to Perth. Mainly due to cheaper housing and that my 2 of my best friends lived there. We have now been in Perth for 6 years, and had another child.

We are now dual UK/Aus citizens and to have had a great time in both the UK and Aus.

So why the move?

Hard to say really 😄 The short answer I guess is that as a family we felt more at home in the UK and we really enjoyed our life there. It is not to say we don't enjoy our life here. They are both great places but people are different and for us we enjoyed the UK more. I think for us, we left the UK too soon, and hadn't experienced all the UK and Europe has to offer.

Let me know if you want some more info or have any questions. Happy to help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SophW said:

Sorry not sure I really answered your question with any actual details.

We are not a beach going or camping family, which pretty much rules out 90% of what there is to do in Perth, the other 10% being flies, wind and not being able to merge onto a freeway 😛 

My family, especially my eldest son, loves going places and from Perth it is very hard/expensive to do.

We loved that in the UK that we were spoilt for choice what we could on weekends.

I want to emphasise there is no better place, there are just different types of things to do, so it is important to be close to the things you enjoy.

I think it does merit mentioning that Perth and the East Coast are basically 2 different countries. We may have felt a little different had we moved to the east coast.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/05/2024 at 03:33, lothar said:

How long do you have? Apologies for the wall of text but ill need to provide some context first 😄

To be honest, I am not sure I officially qualify as a "Pom in Oz", as I was born and raised in South Africa 😛

My wife and I moved from SA to the UK in 2007 after university, we both had British Ancestry via our grandparents so were lucky enough to be able to get the Ancestry Visa. We spent 11 years in the UK, we lived closed to Woking in Surrey, and our first 2 children were born in the UK.

My wife always wanted to try Aus, and 2018 was our last chance to get the 189 PR visa before we lost points due to Age and would not be able to get an Aus Visa. So we took the plunge and moved to Perth. Mainly due to cheaper housing and that my 2 of my best friends lived there. We have now been in Perth for 6 years, and had another child.

We are now dual UK/Aus citizens and to have had a great time in both the UK and Aus.

So why the move?

Hard to say really 😄 The short answer I guess is that as a family we felt more at home in the UK and we really enjoyed our life there. It is not to say we don't enjoy our life here. They are both great places but people are different and for us we enjoyed the UK more. I think for us, we left the UK too soon, and hadn't experienced all the UK and Europe has to offer.

Let me know if you want some more info or have any questions. Happy to help.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! You've definitely answered my question and very grateful for you being so open 🙂

Nice to hear a balanced view of all the places you've lived. Funny how that feeling of being 'home' can't always be quantified and is just something you inherently feel.

Wish you nothing but good luck for your next adventure!