Any single parents that have moved?

YogaLilly

Hi everyone, 

I was hoping to hear some stories or get some advice from those that may have been in the same boat as me. 
I’m a single mum to a 6 year old, I currently work as a medical professional and a senior lecturer. For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to move to Australia. When I was a kid, my parents would buy my books about life in Oz and it honestly just spoke to my soul. Anyway, life took over and I ended up staying in the UK, getting married, having a child, and getting divorced. I have a pretty good life here, family support, friends etc. I feel like I’ve outgrown the UK though, my job is the same, the weather significantly affects my mood, there’s very little to do in the town I live in, and the cost of living is ridiculous. I visited Australia for the first time last year (Queensland) and I loved everything about it. Granted I was on holiday, but I could really see myself living there. If it was just me, I would have started the visa application process immediately , however with my daughter, I really need to think about what’s best for her. I have a good relationship with her dad, who said he would be fine with us moving over there and we could work out a schedule where she would come and visit for extended periods. My parents are supportive and said they would visit us when they could. I have some friends over there that would help with childcare/ general support. 
I guess I was just wondering, have any other single parents made the leap to Oz and it’s worked out? On one hand I feel my daughter would have a better quality of life in lots of respects, and obviously I would, but on the other I’m anxious about taking her away from family for extended periods of time, as well as worrying about such a major life change for her at a young age when there’s no guarantee it would work? Hearing others’ stories would be really useful! Thank you in advance 🙏🏽 

7 hours ago, YogaLilly said:

I’m ...worrying about such a major life change for her at a young age when there’s no guarantee it would work? 

At your daughter's age, it's going to feel a bit frightening at first, but she'll soon adapt and is likely to find it a wonderful adventure, whether it becomes your forever home or not.   In fact, I'd say it's a good time to give it a try, because you certainly wouldn't want to be moving her once she's 14 or 15 and about to enter her most important years at school.  Right now you have a window where she can recover from the double upheaval if you end up moving back again.

However, I am a little worried about this idea of "work out a schedule where she would come and visit for extended periods".  The Australian school year runs from February to December.  The only opportunity for an "extended" stay would be the summer holidays.    I guess it could work if you both fly back to have Christmas in the UK, then you go back to work and she stays until school starts in February?   It would mean she'd miss out on most of summer in Australia every year and that might affect her friendships here, since she'll miss out on all their summer activities. 

7 hours ago, YogaLilly said:

...and the cost of living is ridiculous.

The cost of living in Australia is higher than in the UK, especially housing if you have to live in one of the capital cities.    That's offset, in some occupations, by higher salaries -- but it's not the case for every occupation, so check out the salaries in your field and make sure you would be earning more, because you'll need it. 

Also research the cost of childcare (before and after school care, holidays etc), which I believe is higher than in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is someone else who moved as a single parent recently but I'm having trouble remembering the name at the moment.  I think the original intention was to move with her husband but they separated before the move, she has come alone and recently posted on here about her experiences.  Will post the name as soon as I can extract it from the depths (of my memory).

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

At your daughter's age, it's going to feel a bit frightening at first, but she'll soon adapt and is likely to find it a wonderful adventure, whether it becomes your forever home or not.   In fact, I'd say it's a good time to give it a try, because you certainly wouldn't want to be moving her once she's 14 or 15 and about to enter her most important years at school.  Right now you have a window where she can recover from the double upheaval if you end up moving back again.

However, I am a little worried about this idea of "work out a schedule where she would come and visit for extended periods".  The Australian school year runs from February to December.  The only opportunity for an "extended" stay would be the summer holidays.    I guess it could work if you both fly back to have Christmas in the UK, then you go back to work and she stays until school starts in February?   It would mean she'd miss out on most of summer in Australia every year and that might affect her friendships here, since she'll miss out on all their summer activities. 

The cost of living in Australia is higher than in the UK, especially housing if you have to live in one of the capital cities.    That's offset, in some occupations, by higher salaries -- but it's not the case for every occupation, so check out the salaries in your field and make sure you would be earning more, because you'll need it. 

Also research the cost of childcare (before and after school care, holidays etc), which I believe is higher than in the UK.

Thank you so much for the helpful reply! I do think it’s a case of now or never as I definitely wouldn’t want to disrupt things for her when she’s older and much more settled. 
I hadn’t thought about the different school terms and what she would miss out on, thank you for bringing that to my attention. My ex partner would be able to visit us for up to a 2 months at a time so we could work something out. 
I’m also in the priviliged position of having a career that does pay much more in Oz, but it’s helpful to keep in mind the cost of living and childcare and how it might all balance out. 

thanks again for your reply! 

• Like 2

can't add value on the single parent side because I'm not one, however...

Isn't quality of life about lots of aspects to life all combining to achieve a happy outcome. If you move here i assume you will have no family for support? and also, initially, no friendships etc? i think that could be quite isolating for you both, certainly initially but potentially long term.

I gain an enormous amount of satisfaction and happiness from the environment and surroundings living here in Australia but it wouldn't be enough for me to overcome the isolation from the balance of my family if I didn't have almost everyone here.

• Like 2