What to take and what to leave

Hello,

We are hoping to move after the UK summer, so we are in the process of going through all of our belongings to work out what to take, scrap, sell etc.

I've hit the winter clothing box and I'm a bit stumped. I know it gets quite cold in winter in Adelaide, but is it worth taking thermals, water proof suits for the kids, waterproof over trousers, thick winter coats etc or would we get away with thinner winter coats and wellies? We are planning on taking the least possible and not having a container or anything!

Thanks

4 hours ago, Lots of questions said:

Hello,

We are hoping to move after the UK summer, so we are in the process of going through all of our belongings to work out what to take, scrap, sell etc.

I've hit the winter clothing box and I'm a bit stumped. I know it gets quite cold in winter in Adelaide, but is it worth taking thermals, water proof suits for the kids, waterproof over trousers, thick winter coats etc or would we get away with thinner winter coats and wellies? We are planning on taking the least possible and not having a container or anything!

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Adelaide weather. But I know on the west coast I've seen it rain so hard I've had to stop the car as visibility was zero.

How old are the kids? Ours used to grow out of that stuff so fast anyway. 

Thermals I'd probably give a miss. Layers would be more useful than thick winter coats. 

Depends what you mean by Adelaide (and where you live now). If you mean the city or nearby metro suburbs then the winters are mild and layers not thermals will be fine.

The Adelaide Hills (where I live ) are always cooler and we get frost in the winter. I enjoy getting out the jumpers! I have one thick down coat but rarely wear it here, although it comes in handy when I visit my son in Canberra where minus figures happen in winter.

I have waterproofs as I like hiking but a light raincoat over jumpers is my go to and I can also wear it in warmer wet weather.

Having said all that weather everywhere is changing……….

• Like 2

Just now, rammygirl said:

Depends what you mean by Adelaide (and where you live now). If you mean the city or nearby metro suburbs then the winters are mild and layers not thermals will be fine.

The Adelaide Hills (where I live ) are always cooler and we get frost in the winter. I enjoy getting out the jumpers! I have one thick down coat but rarely wear it here, although it comes in handy when I visit my son in Canberra where minus figures happen in winter.

I have waterproofs as I like hiking but a light raincoat over jumpers is my go to and I can also wear it in warmer wet weather.

Some hardy souls wear shorts and thongs (flip flops to you’ all year round.  It’s autumn now so the sun is shining and the sky is blue it will be warm but as soon as the sun drops up here the temperature goes with it  

Having said all that weather everywhere is changing……….

I live on the Adelaide Plains (i.e. the bit that's not the hills) and haven't touched the scarves, gloves or woolly hats I brought over from the UK a decade ago with the exception of once where we stayed up in the hills in the middle of winter (even then I only put them on when we were outside in the evening and I probably could have got away without them).

Definitely bring jumpers and coats as it does get chilly here over winter, but I use lighter jackets more than winter coats. You'll probably need a winter coat occasionally but I wouldn't bring loads of them.

Rain coats and wet weather gear are always useful, but how much of it you'll need depends on your lifestyle. I'm not that fussed about just avoiding the rain as it doesn't really happen that often or as heavily as in the UK and I'm not particularly outdoorsy. If you're the type to be out and about in all weathers, walking and cycling etc then bring whatever you've got.

Endless rainy days are pretty rare here on the plains - I haven't been trapped in the house anywhere near as much as I was in the UK. Generally if it rains it'll do it for an hour or two but then let up and everything dries out again. A lot of the rain falls overnight too.

All in all I think the weather's great here. The summers are generally hot and dry so we get that real Aussie summer experience but it's nice to have the seasons for balance. Winters here are nothing like the UK with the endless cold and drizzle (I do miss the crisp frost though) but it's definitely not shorts and thongs all year round.

Back to the original question, my vote would be to bring a selection of jumpers, a couple of lighter coats, a light rain coat, one winter coat and a scarf for the odd occasion.

Edited by llessur
  • Like 1