Arborist or primary school teacher

My partner and our 2 kids are looking into our best possibilities to get over to Australia. After discussing for years we’d now like to get the ball rolling. We’re trying to work out whether we’re best applying through his work as an arborist or mine as a primary teacher - both are on the skills shortage but from the info I’ve found so far it looks as though it may be better job wise for him. We will go through an agent, just trying to work out beforehand.

Is there anywhere you can see which states have a higher need for certain jobs? I have looked hard for this so sorry if I’m missing something when looking! We do have preferred places but are not completely shut off.

Thanks

Can I suggest that you consider sponsorship by the Department of Education of Western  Australia, as I understand that they have re-started their sponsorship programme again.   https://www.education.wa.edu.au/im-moving-from-overseas.   They ran this program initially from 2006 to 2010, but I have recently come across the new program via this link.    It might help you.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, I have had a look at this and booked onto one of the Q&A’s already. I’d just love to be able to see where the greatest need for different occupations is but I don’t know if such a thing exists!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ellieb85 said:

My partner and our 2 kids are looking into our best possibilities to get over to Australia. After discussing for years we’d now like to get the ball rolling. We’re trying to work out whether we’re best applying through his work as an arborist or mine as a primary teacher - both are on the skills shortage but from the info I’ve found so far it looks as though it may be better job wise for him.

It's not a question of which job is more in demand. I know that sounds a bit mad, but it's the way it is.  What matters is, which of you can score the most points?  That's what will give you the best chance.   An agent can calculate that for you, so no point wasting time on doing your own research.    Get a quote from Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.

On 04/04/2024 at 08:11, Ellieb85 said:

My partner and our 2 kids are looking into our best possibilities to get over to Australia. After discussing for years we’d now like to get the ball rolling. We’re trying to work out whether we’re best applying through his work as an arborist or mine as a primary teacher - both are on the skills shortage but from the info I’ve found so far it looks as though it may be better job wise for him. We will go through an agent, just trying to work out beforehand.

Is there anywhere you can see which states have a higher need for certain jobs? I have looked hard for this so sorry if I’m missing something when looking! We do have preferred places but are not completely shut off.

Thanks

On 04/04/2024 at 23:33, Marisawright said:

It's not a question of which job is more in demand. I know that sounds a bit mad, but it's the way it is.  What matters is, which of you can score the most points?  That's what will give you the best chance.   An agent can calculate that for you, so no point wasting time on doing your own research.    Get a quote from Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.

Another question is are you planning to move permanently or temporary? Both jobs you can't apply for a 189 visa so you'd have to do a 190, isn't much of an issue unless you want to move to WA as you need an employment contract before you can apply for a visa, this is tricky for teaching, maybe less so for an Arborist I'm not sure. 

Could always look at a 186 visa for employer sponsorship, but you need 3 years experience, and the employer needs to agree of course 😅

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Why do you say that?

Neither job is on the list for a 189 visa, but they are for a 190, I thought those lists were the same but clearly not! But they are both on the short term lists. 

In fairness your advice about an agent is the best course, they can answer all these questions and know what visas are available to your careers.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 14:09, Haydn Drake said:

Another question is are you planning to move permanently or temporary? Both jobs you can't apply for a 189 visa so you'd have to do a 190, isn't much of an issue unless you want to move to WA as you need an employment contract before you can apply for a visa, this is tricky for teaching, maybe less so for an Arborist I'm not sure. 

Could always look at a 186 visa for employer sponsorship, but you need 3 years experience, and the employer needs to agree of course 😅

You need an employment contract before applying if going to WA? I haven’t seen this before. 
My partner is in the process of contacting some companies to see if that’s an option but the experience side of things is no issue!

3 hours ago, Ellieb85 said:

You need an employment contract before applying if going to WA? I haven’t seen this before. 
My partner is in the process of contacting some companies to see if that’s an option but the experience side of things is no issue!

Only if you're going for a 190, you need an employment contract guaranteed for 6 months I believe.

8 hours ago, Ellieb85 said:

Each state is allowed to set its own rules.  If a job isn't massively in demand then they may decide to take only people who've already got a job offer. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 08/04/2024 at 02:48, Marisawright said:

Each state is allowed to set its own rules.  If a job isn't massively in demand then they may decide to take only people who've already got a job offer. 

I'm pretty sure for WA unless you work in construction a contract of employment is a prerequisite for a 190 visa.