What year for children in school from uk

Dancha85

36 minutes ago, Dancha85 said:

Yes at the moment, I have been offered a permanent job, well at least that’s what the contract states. However the school don’t know much about visa sponsorship so are currently looking in to it. I have asked if they would do 186 but not sure if that fits with the timeline? The other option is 482.

As I understand it, they won't be able to offer you a permanent job on a 482 because it's a temporary visa. 

If the school has never done this before, I wouldn't get too excited about planning just yet.  I hope they are engaging an agent to guide them through the process, because it's complex for the employer and there's a lot of preparatory work to be done.  If they've never done it before, it may take them several weeks to get their act together before they can even apply, and then the processing can take up to a year.   So I think they may be optimistic to count on you being there for January.

A 186DE would be a much better option for you, because it gives you security.  The question would be whether the preparation and processing times will be longer.  

Some of the agents here, like @paulhand, might be able to give a better idea of current processing times.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Quoll said:

You realise that school attendance is mandatory for kids under 17? Nobody minds the odd month while you get settled but almost 6 months is a bit much.  Once you've got a place to live, you can enrol kids at any time and allowing them to make friends in the community is a good way to cope with the long holiday boredom. They'll feel more comfortable at the start of a new school year having a few mates too. 

They won't be "repeating" anything, they're moving to a foreign country to engage with their social cohort.

My wife and kids will be staying with family for a couple months about 90 mins away from where we will end up living. I wish it was simple enough to say we can buy\rent a house in X area in Adelaide so we can get them into school ASAP, but anybody who knows the Adelaide market will tell you getting anywhere is hard enough. Missing a couple of months (which is not actually missing any as they will both do an extra year) of school to end up in the right house and right school is the better option for us.

Edited by bluequay

9 hours ago, Dancha85 said:

Ok I’ll start looking for longer air b&bs. 

good to know about the agents. How long does it usually take to move in to a rental once you have found one? 

what is a relocation agent? Will they find us a property? 

we are hoping to be around Wilton/moss vale. But work in Wollongong so could go closer too especially if short term. 

yes seems slightly conflicting advice for visas at the moment, some people getting them in a few months, which is too soon for us. But then some take a long time. We will have to see on that front. 

AirBnb's are great but you would be very fortunate for a school to allow you to use that address for enrolment. The schools I have looked at for our kids want either proof you own the home you live in, a signed contract to purchase, or a 12 month rental agreement covering the whole of the school year!! They may be more flexible on this as you aren't entering at Year 1 or Year 7 if they have spaces, but not having a permanent address would still likely be an issue.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

As I understand it, they won't be able to offer you a permanent job on a 482 because it's a temporary visa. 

If the school has never done this before, I wouldn't get too excited about planning just yet.  I hope they are engaging an agent to guide them through the process, because it's complex for the employer and there's a lot of preparatory work to be done.  If they've never done it before, it may take them several weeks to get their act together before they can even apply, and then the processing can take up to a year.   So I think they may be optimistic to count on you being there for January.

A 186DE would be a much better option for you, because it gives you security.  The question would be whether the preparation and processing times will be longer.  

Some of the agents here, like @paulhand, might be able to give a better idea of current processing times.

Thank you, yes it seems they haven't dealt with it before but do have people there who have so are calling on them. I am hoping to go for a 186 but we will see. Timings could be an issue here.

32 minutes ago, bluequay said:

AirBnb's are great but you would be very fortunate for a school to allow you to use that address for enrolment. The schools I have looked at for our kids want either proof you own the home you live in, a signed contract to purchase, or a 12 month rental agreement covering the whole of the school year!! They may be more flexible on this as you aren't entering at Year 1 or Year 7 if they have spaces, but not having a permanent address would still likely be an issue.

The private school I might be working at have offered places but I wanted to keep my options open, however this may be a better route to stop this difficulty. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's totally natural to be torn about your kids' schooling, especially with a big move on the horizon. If they're acing it academically, sticking them in a lower year might feel like a bad idea. Plus, there's the worry about them falling behind if you head back to the UK later on, right when GCSEs are looming. But hey, kids are resilient, and they're pros at making friends across age groups. Maybe chat with the schools you're eyeing up – they might have some wiggle room in terms of placement based on academic readiness rather than just age. Bottom line, go with your gut and what feels right for your kids – they'll thrive wherever they end up, as long as they're supported and happy.