Monthly outgoings (Brisbane area).

Simontucks

Evening/morning guys!

I know there's a current,similar thread going on regarding Sydney. Could I ask for some advise on similar but in Brisbane area.

Not necessarily what type of health insurance to get but,and I know this will be virtually impossible I suppose but just a general cost(monthly) of the essentials.

I know roughly what tax we will be paying so forget that.

Just basic monthly living costs for a family of two adults and a 16+12 yr old.

We also know what sort of mortgage we will be paying out (hopefully).

We have done a little research but I'm sure I've missed some things.

I know,there's so many variables in this and sorry if it seems such a  vague question.

We are meant to be exchanging on our house Friday and I'm just making sure we aren't going to be worse off and making a huge mistake before I finalise the sale/move.

Even if you just throw random things to consider without costs like..

Utility bills,car insurance,medical,dental etc etc

I just have this niggling doubt🫣

My view is that “worse off” is much more complex than monthly outgoings. You need to factor in monthly income, which will likely be ‘higher’ based on exchange rates, as well as all the other things that make living in Brisbane/Australia ‘better’ than the U.K.  I’m really not sure you’re asking the right question. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, paulhand said:

My view is that “worse off” is much more complex than monthly outgoings. You need to factor in monthly income, which will likely be ‘higher’ based on exchange rates, as well as all the other things that make living in Brisbane/Australia ‘better’ than the U.K.  I’m really not sure you’re asking the right question. 

As I say,it probably is a bit vague even if it makes sense in my head 🫣

Yes our monthly income is going to be greater than the UK,but if cost of living there is going to be a lot more also we will be worse off 🤔

43 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

As I say,it probably is a bit vague even if it makes sense in my head 🫣

Yes our monthly income is going to be greater than the UK,but if cost of living there is going to be a lot more also we will be worse off 🤔

Not if your quality of life is higher.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Surely if you haven't got any money left after paying all your bills quality of life isn't going to be higher 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wouldn't disagree.

You didn't say there'd be no money left after paying the bills, though.  Even if cost of living's a bit higher, it doesn't necessarily mean there's not a fair bit of folding left.

• Like 2

Add about 25% to your costs here. 

Cars and houses are more expensive than where you (and we) are. 

Food looks a bit more expensive depending on how you eat. We spend about £130 a week in Aldi on food/drink/dog food/household stuff so I’ve budgeted $300 for Aus. Alcohol on the whole a bit pricier. 

Fuel and transport are cheaper as are utilities. Mobile phones about the same. Really not sure on car insurance - does rego cover that? 

Haven’t priced health yet but we have bupa here anyway. If you search this forum for dentists you’ll get a good indication of costs for that. 

One big thing we’ll save on for the first few years is holidays abroad. We spend an absolute fortune going away 3-4 times a year to escape the Scottish weather!! Won’t need to do that any more and looking forward to exploring Sunny Coast, GC, Whitsundays etc. 

The other cost is education. Even at state school you’ll likely have to cough for uniforms, books etc. Obviously you have the fee paying Catholic and/or private options too. 

Could your brother not give you an accurate and up to date run down of this to reassure you? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Food looks a bit more expensive depending on how you eat. We spend about £130 a week in Aldi on food/drink/dog food/household stuff so I’ve budgeted $300 for Aus. Alcohol on the whole a bit pricier. 

Fuel and transport are cheaper as are utilities. Mobile phones about the same. Really not sure on car insurance - does rego cover that? 

Haven’t priced health yet but we have bupa here anyway. If you search this forum for dentists you’ll get a good indication of costs for that. 

One big thing we’ll save on for the first few years is holidays abroad. We spend an absolute fortune going away 3-4 times a year to escape the Scottish weather!! Won’t need to do that any more and looking forward to exploring Sunny Coast, GC, Whitsundays etc. 

The other cost is education. Even at state school you’ll likely have to cough for uniforms, books etc. Obviously you have the fee paying Catholic and/or private options too. 

Could your brother not give you an accurate and up to date run down of this to reassure you? 

Rego will cover compulsory third party in Queensland.  

I'd personally recommend picking up a fully comp policy if you've got a vehicle younger than ten years old, regardless. 
And in terms of car insurance premiums, I found them about 40% cheaper than the UK when I landed in 2016.  So hopefully still a fair bit less: I can recommend Budget and AAMI: I've used both over the years when someone struck me on two occasions.  Everything was righted in no time at all.

Strangely, no incidents of bad drivers smacking into me since leaving Melbourne.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

Rego will cover compulsory third party in Queensland.  

I'd personally recommend picking up a fully comp policy if you've got a vehicle younger than ten years old, regardless. 
And in terms of car insurance premiums, I found them about 40% cheaper than the UK when I landed in 2016.  So hopefully still a fair bit less: I can recommend Budget and AAMI: I've used both over the years when someone struck me on two occasions.  Everything was righted in no time at all.

Strangely, no incidents of bad drivers smacking into me since leaving Melbourne.

Thanks. Not sure what we’ll do about a car. Actually considering a lease for a few months so we don’t rush in and buy a turkey! 

I think @Simontucks is having some totally understandable jitters about selling his lovely house. It’s a huge thing and makes everything feel sooooo real. 

And aye car insurance, another racket. All the premiums have shot up since Covid. We pay £900 a year for a 2018 Audi estate. 10 years no claims! 

Edited by Cheery Thistle
Added info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I think @Simontucks is having some totally understandable jitters about selling his lovely house. It’s a huge thing and makes everything feel sooooo real. 

I had an absolute storm of jitters the week before leaving.  Glad I got them out of me.  

Fear of the unknown is pretty much one of the most staple shared human experiences we have.

And no, it doesn't end the same way for all of us.  However, I tell you what: there's nothing that would make me move back nowadays. 

Whatever you decide to do, @Simontucks the very best of luck with it!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Thanks. Not sure what we’ll do about a car. Actually considering a lease for a few months so we don’t rush in and buy a turkey! 

Not trying to derail, but while the subject of turkeys is raised... The Kia Cerato's a pretty solid runner (as is the Rio if you're alright with a hatchback).  Neither will set the world on fire, but in 6 years, I haven't had a single thing go wrong mechanically with the Cerato.  (Another benefit of our climates in general - no heavy stress on the components from a freeze over the winter months)

And despite them being solid runners, I reckon the little teenage knobs who are currently doing the rounds trying to break into cars just avoid Kias because they're not flash enough.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BendigoBoy said:

Not trying to derail, but while the subject of turkeys is raised... The Kia Cerato's a pretty solid runner (as is the Rio if you're alright with a hatchback).  Neither will set the world on fire, but in 6 years, I haven't had a single thing go wrong mechanically with the Cerato.  (Another benefit of our climates in general - no heavy stress on the components from a freeze over the winter months)

And despite them being solid runners, I reckon the little teenage knobs who are currently doing the rounds trying to break into cars just avoid Kias because they're not flash enough.

I fancy a Mazda jeep thing. Who knows? I’m not really bothered as long as it goes and has air con! Have actually suggested that as a defence tactic to hubby - let’s just buy a really sh*t cheap car that nobody wants to steal!!  The key to never getting robbed is to look really skint!! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I fancy a Mazda jeep thing. Who knows? I’m not really bothered as long as it goes and has air con! Have actually suggested that as a defence tactic to hubby - let’s just buy a really sh*t cheap car that nobody wants to steal!!  The key to never getting robbed is to look really skint!! 

You shouldn't have any difficulty finding a CX3 or CX5 second hand.

And indeed so on your latter point.  Jeans, t-shirt, middle of the road car, and a quiet cottage in the middle of nowhere.  Keeps me safe and under the radar... Until I land in Singapore and switch out into my good garb.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

I wouldn't disagree.

You didn't say there'd be no money left after paying the bills, though.  Even if cost of living's a bit higher, it doesn't necessarily mean there's not a fair bit of folding left.

I don't know that there won't be to be honest,that's why im asking about rough costs of essentials 

6 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

I had an absolute storm of jitters the week before leaving.  Glad I got them out of me.  

Fear of the unknown is pretty much one of the most staple shared human experiences we have.

And no, it doesn't end the same way for all of us.  However, I tell you what: there's nothing that would make me move back nowadays. 

Whatever you decide to do, @Simontucks the very best of luck with it!

Thanks for the replies👍. Funnily enough I've been looking at those Mazda's and it seems the wife has set her mind on the cx5 or a golf🫣.

I have to admit to a case of the jitters lol.im looking at the "what ifs" and wonder at 48 whether I risk everything again🫣. 

Take for instance our mortgage.....currently ours is £350 a month and IF I let it run it's course it ends in 20yrs time. Having spoken to a couple of people in that line of work in Brisbane now,with our deposit of $250.000 we should be looking at properties where we want to live between $850.000-£$1m and will get a mortgage for,say a mortgage of $600.000-$700.000.Repayments over 25 years will be $4000 a month.

So,if we take our earnings,both looking at $80.000-$100.000  each before tax and any deductions,I'm getting a little concerned what will be left each month to live on.

Being honest,this is the only thing that's giving me the jitters.the move doesn't really bother me,I just want to give my daughter's the best start I can and the UK ATM is definitely not the place to be.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Believe it or not we have never been abroad as a family. we've had a caravan in the UK and loved camping over the years so we definitely won't be saving money on not going abroad 🫣🤣.

I'm trying to ask my brother as little as I can,.don't get me wrong we get on  but he's got his own life and I don't want anything coming back to bite me on the arse if it went wrong.

I don't mind things being more expensive in Aus to be fair,just as long as we can afford to pay for them.

22 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Repayments over 25 years will be $4000 a month.

If you can, and if the lender will entertain it, perhaps look at a longer term with an offset account?
That way, you could lower those monthly mandatory payments and - if means allow - bung some extra into the offset account to lessen the interest.

It'd leave you some liquid cash just in case.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

If you can, and if the lender will entertain it, perhaps look at a longer term with an offset account?
That way, you could lower those monthly mandatory payments and - if means allow - bung some extra into the offset account to lessen the interest.

It'd leave you some liquid cash just in case.

Now you've lost me 🤣lol, I just pay the bills,the boss(wife) is the brains!. At 48,49 when we'd be looking to buy,I'd be surprised if any lender would give a mortgage of more than 25yrs (which is probably a push as it is) 🤷🏻‍♂️

We'll be renting for the first 6-12 months just to make sure we buy in the right area for us

Edited by Simontucks

1 hour ago, Simontucks said:

Thanks for the replies👍. Funnily enough I've been looking at those Mazda's and it seems the wife has set her mind on the cx5 or a golf🫣.

I have to admit to a case of the jitters lol.im looking at the "what ifs" and wonder at 48 whether I risk everything again🫣. 

Take for instance our mortgage.....currently ours is £350 a month and IF I let it run it's course it ends in 20yrs time. Having spoken to a couple of people in that line of work in Brisbane now,with our deposit of $250.000 we should be looking at properties where we want to live between $850.000-£$1m and will get a mortgage for,say a mortgage of $600.000-$700.000.Repayments over 25 years will be $4000 a month.

So,if we take our earnings,both looking at $80.000-$100.000  each before tax and any deductions,I'm getting a little concerned what will be left each month to live on.

Being honest,this is the only thing that's giving me the jitters.the move doesn't really bother me,I just want to give my daughter's the best start I can and the UK ATM is definitely not the place to be.

With these figures and your ages, (No offence intended I'm over 50!) I would budget for some kind of income protection plan, as if something happens where one of you can't work then you will struggle to pay the bills.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluequay said:

With these figures and your ages, (No offence intended I'm over 50!) I would budget for some kind of income protection plan, as if something happens where one of you can't work then you will struggle to pay the bills.

Thanks for that bluequay, I agree on that so that would be another outgoing 🫣 but an essential one I think too,it had been mentioned.

Do you think we would struggle to get a mortgage due to our age?

28 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Thanks for that bluequay, I agree on that so that would be another outgoing 🫣 but an essential one I think too,it had been mentioned.

I have no idea, it might be an idea to speak to a financial advisor about what you could theoretically borrow based on your ages and projected salaries before you make the move.

I don't want to put a damper on things but I would also have a good think about how you would feel carrying that kind of debt mentally, as it is very different from the position you are in now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

I’m not an expert in Aussie mortgages but having looked at this (i’ll be 44 when we move and hubby 52), they will give you a mortgage but will look for an ‘exit’ for when you stop earning. For example are you going to sell/downsize, do you have other assets you could sell to pay mortgage off etc. 

We have a bit more behind us than you and are also used to higher outgoings than you currently have so it’s not quite as big a jump. However, we are considering buying a queenslander with rumpus area underneath that we could potentially Airbnb (subject to approvals/licences etc) to provide an extra side income to potentially pay extra towards mortgage. You need to think outside the box and maybe be willing to do things that others aren’t in order to make it work? Is something like that an option? We are kind of calculated risk takers and both of the same mindset which helps a lot. 

If I was you I’d try to knock some doors re: mortgages/super etc before you go - a little bit of financial literacy will go a long way before you move (and when you land). 

@bluequay is income protection really a thing? Even for self employed people here in the UK it’s kind of deemed not worth the paper it’s printed on! 

@Simontucks regarding your brother, I do get it to an extent but if the shoe was on the other foot would you support him? It’s the biggest move you’ll ever make and you need to leverage every contact you have to your maximum advantage!! You’ve never all been abroad together? My God I could probably finance a small African state on what we’ve spent on travel in the past 10 years lol or current mortgage could certainly be paid off! But you only live once and we wanted to see/experience things while we were still young enough. Get your girls out there, their lives are just about to take off! Whoop! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

You shouldn't have any difficulty finding a CX3 or CX5 second hand.

And indeed so on your latter point.  Jeans, t-shirt, middle of the road car, and a quiet cottage in the middle of nowhere.  Keeps me safe and under the radar... Until I land in Singapore and switch out into my good garb.

It was all going well until the music stopped suddenly at ‘cottage in the middle of nowhere’ lolol

• Haha 2