Retirement back to the Uk

Jennyrose Shields

No, we didn’t get jobs (didn't want any!!!) but I was offered 3 and my husband was offered one - we didn't apply for any but were almost head hunted. One of mine was a professional option but they were generally low grade retail type options. I observed far less ageism.  Good luck, I'd see no reason you shouldn't pick up something.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jennyrose Shields said:

Hi would love to hear if anyone has retired back to the UK and got a job over 60 yrs . 

We tried retiring to the UK in 2015 (we changed our minds, but that's another story).  

I don't think you'll have any difficulty getting a job in the UK over 60.      Age discrimination in Australia is widespread -- I 'retired' from my usual profession in Australia when I was 55, not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't find anyone willing to employ me!   I have to say, I assumed that was a worldwide phenomenon, not just an Aussie one, so I was very surprised when I got offered a job without any difficulty in the UK.

• Like 2

Agree that age discrimination in Australia is widespread.  So is experience discrimination -- (we don't want clever people, just slaves that do as they're told).

Couldn't get a decent job in the area of England that I tried (but that seems to have been just my usual bad luck).  Did find that retired people worked as supermarket trolley-boys as the pension wasn't enough to live on.

• Like 2