Medicare cost?

Simontucks

8 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

You must have a very large home in that case. I remember looking around Llandudno about 5-6 years ago, thinking about it as a possible retirement location (always loved the area despite the town being a bit tacky), and making a mental note you could buy a nice semi for about £200-250k. They seem to be in the £250-300k range these days, so about £50k more. I'd agree that's unaffordable for most young people in the area given the low wages, but it's much more affordable than property is in regional coastal Australia.

Not at all we have a 125 yr old Victorian 3 bed. it's only affordable if you can pay the mortgage and here in west Wales there is very little work. 

As I say,people retiring to the area has forced prices up.

14 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Not at all, an aging population as many elderly retire to the coast of west Wales where I am, from all over the uk.covid changed a lot of people's lives,most wanted to move to the country or coast which has filled up Cornwall and Devon so we seem to be next. None of our youngsters stay in Wales as there's very little work apart from in tourism.

Housing,which was affordable 3 years ago has gone through the roof (something I know you guys are experiencing).our property has gone up nearly £150000 in 3 years. 

That will put a lot of pressure on an already struggling health system. 

On 10/01/2024 at 00:10, Cheery Thistle said:

I’m afraid you really are showing your ignorance with regards to maternity, childcare, parenthood and the impact they have on earnings and the pay gap. This article has some up to date information (if you are at all interested on being enlightened). If not, as you were, they do say ignorance is bliss after all!! 
https://ifs.org.uk/news/women-much-more-likely-men-give-paid-work-or-cut-hours-after-childbirth-even-when-they-earn#:~:text=Even where the mother was,hours after becoming a parent.&text=The different roles played by,development of gender pay gaps.

The pay gap is irrelevant to the UK old age pension. It's based on the number of years of contributions not the amount contributed and the years of contributions include years receiving state benefits when there may be zero actual contributions being paid.

7 hours ago, Ken said:

The pay gap is irrelevant to the UK old age pension. It's based on the number of years of contributions not the amount contributed and the years of contributions include years receiving state benefits when there may be zero actual contributions being paid.

I agree. My comment was in response to BB.